The new WPIX

Geoffrey

I haven't actually watched their new "newscast" so I'm just going by some videos and screencaps I've seen online..

So if I had a touchscreen monitor/TV, can I just touch an icon on the screen to skip to that story? lol..

This may work better as some sort of iPhone/Android newscast app. Prerecorded, of course.. Just start the newscast, show some story icons along the bottom while the newscast is playing, and press an icon if you want to skip to another story.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I missed monday's show but I watched 5 minutes last night and it was awful!! I cannot believe they took a good working team and replaced it with all that crap. I never was a big fan of channel 5 news but until we get back Kaity and Jim I will be watching channel 5.

The harsh criticism at Jodi Applegate is unwarranted.

She is doing what is asked of her. She's a news anchor, whether you like her personality and style or not. She's not used to "hosting" a show that is a low grade version of The Insider. This is all foreign to her.

She took a job that would give her more money, let her re-enter the nations #1 news market, and now lives closer to her fiance (Michael Kay, Yanks broadcaster.) At the time it was offered, could you blame her for taking it?

She's dealing with the hand she was dealt. If you ask her right now, she probably regrets leaving her good friend Ron Corning at News 12. At least there she was appreciated and was broadcasting news in a normal setting!

The harsh criticism at Jodi Applegate is unwarranted.

She is doing what is asked of her. She's a news anchor, whether you like her personality and style or not. She's not used to "hosting" a show that is a low grade version of The Insider. This is all foreign to her.

She took a job that would give her more money, let her re-enter the nations #1 news market, and now lives closer to her fiance (Michael Kay, Yanks broadcaster.) At the time it was offered, could you blame her for taking it?

She's dealing with the hand she was dealt. If you ask her right now, she probably regrets leaving her good friend Ron Corning at News 12. At least there she was appreciated and was broadcasting news in a normal setting!

What did Jodi do to deserve another shot in this market after she had already failed once?

What did Jodi do to deserve another shot in this market after she had already failed once?

Dirtbags get second chances in this market. Don't tell me that a classy woman such as Jodi Applegate should not.

After she was let go by Fox, she took her lumps and did some radio, and then moved out to LI for N12. It's no secret that a higher profile talent like Jodi is going out to N12 to remain visible until a job back in NYC opens up. She deserved a second chance, but she choose the wrong station.

Dirtbags get second chances in this market. Don't tell me that a classy woman such as Jodi Applegate should not.

After she was let go by Fox, she took her lumps and did some radio, and then moved out to LI for N12. It's no secret that a higher profile talent like Jodi is going out to N12 to remain visible until a job back in NYC opens up. She deserved a second chance, but she choose the wrong station.

Agree. I feel people are dissing Jodi b/c they don't like the new format and the fact that Jim and Kaity were tossed aside. I don't like the new format, and I miss seeing Jim and Kaity every night, but like you said, Jodi is doing what she is being asked to do. I didn't think she was that bad on GDNY. And it seems that PIX was going to go ahead with this either way, so if they didn't replace Jim/Kaity with Jodi, it would have been someone else.

Look like they really wanted to get rid of Kaity and Jim from the 10:00pm newscasts because our complaints are falling on deaf ears. I think a better solution than the current one would be to swap Kaity and Jim with the morning team of John and Suki while keep the old format, and let Kaity and Jim compete against GDNY.

After watching parts of the PIX 11 News over the past few nights, I am just simply stunned. I suppose that Bill Carey has never heard of the saying "it it ain't broke, don't fix it." I just hope that they listen to the viewers reaction and put Jim and Kaity back on. It's just not the same!

Give me an "A" for effort.

I tuned in @ 10 to try and give it another whirl, but at 10:02 I just had to turn off.

They opened the show with Mr. G and the update on the nor 'easter. You can really tell what G thinks of this new change... I've seen hostages in hostage videos more excited. He looked lifeless.

How many flatscreens do they have? Not sure if the ones they are using @ 10pm are the same one from the studio set for the morning news, but wouldn't it be more efficient to just get one 70 inch like WNBC. I never liked the window set of the flatscreens.

There were some small changes tonight.

They did not do the news chat segment and there was no real sports report just a taped interview with a sports reporter in Texas about the playoffs.

At this point we kinda have to accept that they are not going back to the old format any time soon, but I do think they will try to improve the format based on the feedback they are getting.

If they are doing the exact same newscast next week with no changes then I agree it won't last long.

How many flatscreens do they have? Not sure if the ones they are using @ 10pm are the same one from the studio set for the morning news, but wouldn't it be more efficient to just get one 70 inch like WNBC. I never liked the window set of the flatscreens.

I believe WNBC has a 103 inch model. For comparison, Panasonic's 85 inch plasma costs $30,000 and is available by special order only. Panasonic's 58 inch model (which I'm guessing WPIX uses in those displays) costs $2,232. You could buy 3 WPIX quad-monitor displays (and have a monitor left over) for the cost of a screen smaller than what WNBC has.

I liked the idea of the round table, but not the way they did it. Why not try to make news with it rather than just make it a joke with Sliwa, Comedians and Jodi giggling? I hope they bring it back

Jodi posted the following on her Facebook page:

Thank you all for your kind words!! I've been focused on starting the new job, moving into the city, planning my upcoming wedding etc....whew. When it rains, it pours. I've had years where I couldn't get arrested! Anyway, I'm back in the gr...oove and you can see me weeknights at 10pm on WPIX Channel 11. The station has launched a brand new format. It's very different from the way news has traditionally been presented by local stations. But it's the wave of the future. I'd love to hear from you --either here or on at WPIX.com--what you think of it. We love the feedback. We want the show to grow and evolve to give viewers what they want!!!

And a word about News12. I have never worked with a more professional and wonderful bunch of people. News12 does an amazing job of covering hyper-local news and provides a great environment for reporters, producers, photographers, writers, ...etc. If you ever have the opportunity to be associated with the organization, I encourage you to do so. Sometimes, life throws you a curveball (baseball pun intentional)...and I happened to meet and fall in love with a wonderful man and we're building a life together. So the new professional opportunity made lots of sense personally too. But I will always have wonderful memories of working at News12 Long Island and hope to stay in touch my Long Island colleagues and viewers!!!

----

Archived