WCBS - CBS2 News

Smitha A

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, MisterBill said:

That seems crazy to me. They're salaried employees. It's not like they're paid by the hour. Do you think they get compensatory time off when there's a major news event and they need to be on the air for extra hours or anchor on the weekend after a big event? Wouldn't only freelance reporters by paid hourly? Certainly not their main anchors.

I can't speak for Maurice and Christine, but I can tell you that reporters like Jenna DeAngelis and Lisa Rozner post on IG and always seem to be thrilled when they do the hourly CBS Newsbreak segments on the weekend. I doubt it's because they get a day off during the week for doing it (if they do at all) or get paid extra for working overtime. Seems like they like the exposure.

Yeah becasue its almost impossible to get a network job, especially if you want to go local to national from the New York market, almost every person I've talked to either turned it down or didn't get picked, so it must be fun occasionally filling in. I was talking to Michelle Charlesworth on Instagram she told me she was offered a network job but turned it down becasue she was afraid she wouldn't see her family. Only journalist I've seen who was in the NY market that got a network job was Weija Jang. And I found out Marci Gonzales worked at channel 7 before going to ABC News. And ofc Sam Champion went to GMA. Besides that they just  seem to be uninterested.

Edited by GraphicsMan

25 minutes ago, MisterBill said:

That seems crazy to me. They're salaried employees. It's not like they're paid by the hour. Do you think they get compensatory time off when there's a major news event and they need to be on the air for extra hours or anchor on the weekend after a big event? Wouldn't only freelance reporters by paid hourly? Certainly not their main anchors.

I can't speak for Maurice and Christine, but I can tell you that reporters like Jenna DeAngelis and Lisa Rozner post on IG and always seem to be thrilled when they do the hourly CBS Newsbreak segments on the weekend. I doubt it's because they get a day off during the week for doing it (if they do at all) or get paid extra for working overtime. Seems like they like the exposure.

I don't get what's crazy about that. Comp days for working additional days as a salaried employee is pretty standard. I'm salaried. If I work an additional day, I get a comp day to use either in that pay period or in the future. My paycheck doesn't change. Working late or long hours because of breaking news or elections is one thing – everybody more or less expects that. But I can tell you that people are not coming in on their days off to do extra work for whatever reason without getting compensated for it at all.

There are all kinds of work agreements out there. It's hard to know the exact details of anyone's agreement if you don't at least work for the same company. I do know of full-time on-air staff in big markets who are paid hourly. I don't think I've ever heard of an anchor in a big market who isn't salaried, but it's possible that there may be some out there. 

The point is that people like Maurice and Kristine aren't coming in on their days off to do network news just for the exposure and without anything in return. They are, at minimum, getting paid like it's any other day of work for them. I would imagine they have smart agents who ensure their contracts state that they might get paid a little bonus for doing network anchoring, but I can't be sure of that.

• Like 4

On 5/25/2024 at 6:33 PM, GraphicsMan said:

Do anchors like Kristine Johnson who anchoring this Saturday broadcast and Maurice Dubios do they get paid for filling-in or part timing. I know they can’t be doing that for free, spending time away from their family and traveling and making no dough.

Everyone is compensated. No work happens for free. Having not worked there, I can't speak specifically to CBS. But I know when WNBC talent filled in on the network (either news or sports) they were paid as a freelancer. Typically a day rate. Don't get hung up on the name freelancer. They aren't an outside freelancer in a traditional sense, but they aren't network on-air talent. They are employees of the local station. 

There are also union rules and talent contracts to take into account. First, union rules differ by shop but it is highly unlikely that any union would permit a member to do additional work for something as arbitrary as an "extra day off" or "national exposure". The reason? The networks could begin to staff positions by offering national exposure. This isn't a work-study internship. I mention contracts because some local talent might be able to negotiate the inclusion of some national hits into their contract. But again, they would be paid for this work. 

Opportunities for local news talent to fill in at the network have slowly evaporated. WNBC talent occasionally appeared on the now-defunct "NBC News at this Hour" updates and filled in as the newsreader on TODAY. The newsreader position no longer exists in the same form. And when Craig is out, one of the other TODAY personalities fills in. Same at ABC as both shows have large "enable" casts compared to the past. The biggest opportunity for network fill-in work is weather-related. CBS doesn't have a network weather staff like NBC and ABC, so they lean on their local meteorologists regularly. 

Long way to say, every person is PAID. Heck, every guest on a talk show is paid. When Chuck Scarborough recently appeared on The Kelly Clarkson Show, he was paid. 

• Thanks 3

• 2 weeks later...

Stepping outside the specific issue--- working for free is a common expectation in newsrooms. News directors fully expect their reporters to come in with pre-vetted developed enterprised pitches EVERY DAY even though they may not have time on the back end of their shift to do so.

How can this be accomplished?

I worked in a newsroom where the news director basically told reporters "I'm not asking you to work for free, but it does help to be following the news , browsing for stories, and making calls on your off time."

Those things may help but when we speak about work-life balance I don't think that's really what you want to be doing after an 8 to 10 hour work day.

Edited by MediaZone4K

Believe it or not it has almost been a year since Elise's sudden passing. With that in mind, it does seem like John is permanent on weekday mornings (with Tony) since there are promos with them; and just within the last week, Craig Allen was officially added as a bio on the website so I would say he is a permanent member of the weather team. His bio hasn't been officially added but there is a placeholder for him: https://www.cbsnews.com/newyork/cbs2/

There's still no bio for Elaine Quijano and Andrea Grymes is still listed, although she hasn't been seen on-air since her demotion in February.

• Like 1