Editorials

rkolsen

I was wondering how many of your local tv stations still do a regular editorial. Growing up I seem to remember most of the stations broadcasting them how ever there is only one still doing WBAL-TV. They usually air after each newscast during the weekend and sometimes there are two different ones on Saturday and Sunday.

My question is what caused so many stations to stop airing editorials? If there is one in your area what do they usually cover and how often do they air?

http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/68972/where-have-all-the-editorials-gone

I live in New York, and there are no broadcast networks that do editorials. However, I do have News 12 (News12 Long Island) and sometimes only during the weekdays they do a "cablevision editorial" with Peter Kohler, editorial VP at cablevision. I'm not sure if FIOS 1 or NY1 do editorials, since I don't have them. It's usually a 1-2 minute speech right during commercial before the newscast starts (News12 Is a 24 hour news channel). They usually just talk about things going on Long Island and Long Island history and such. I'm not sure if other News 12 stations (Bronx, Brooklyn, Hudson Valley, NJ, CT) do these editorials.

WXYZ recently reinstated it's editorials this year. Three people currently do them:

VP / GM Ed Fernandez

Station Manager Mike Murray

Editorial Director Chuck Stokes

They generally focus on whatever issue they have been majorly covering or are trying to get some change on or a major issue in the news in the area (calling for calm after a controversial shooting for example). They air during the 7pm and 12pm newscasts once a week and there is a segment with follow-up viewer feedback "Community Comment" every three editorials that has Stokes read the feedback from the viewers.

From what you guys have said it seems like they are the same here. Here it's done by the GM and usually covers local issues or the community commitment. One time they discussed the War of 1812 in which they patterned with Maryland Public Television down a simulcast of The Star Spangled Sailabration with dozens of tall ships discussing how the national anthem came to be. Most recently discussing the amber alert process when a girl was kidnapped here in Baltimore (she was found a few days later unharmed in the Carolina) and then almost criticizing how it took so long for an amber alert to be issued in DC when a girl went missing and the fact that there wasn't one issued for Maryland or Virginia especially when the suspect had ties to MD (unfortunately the girl hasn't been found AND the suspect was found dead in a DC park).

I don't know how frequent they are these days, but many Raycom stations have done editorials, especially their southern stations. Bill Applegate also did one on WOIO, complete with the occasional rebuttal response.

And we can't forget going "behind the headlines" on over 150 stations and counting!

I don't know how frequent they are these days, but many Raycom stations have done editorials, especially their southern stations. Bill Applegate also did one on WOIO, complete with the occasional rebuttal response.

And we can't forget going "behind the headlines" on over 150 stations and counting!

Raycom requires them throughout the station group.

KSAT is the only one that does them here. Tradition was started by the former VP/GM Jim Joslyn and has continued under (and presented by) current VP/GM Phil Lane. It usually airs about once or twice a month, at the end of noon, 5, and 6PM newscasts for 2 minutes. The topics are political in nature and it's usually a hot-button divisive issue These editorials I usually don't pay attention to or care for what they are saying because it is generally a liberal viewpoint. Responses are always solicited but NEVER shared on the air.

Don't forget Sinclair's group mandated "Behind the Headlines with Mark Hyman" (originally "The Point with Mark Hyman"). These are labeled as an editorial. KABB actually tried to pre-empt these for the longest time but corporate eventually caught on and made them air it, but they usually air it either Friday or Saturday, which are historically the least-viewed nights of the week.

And as I type this:

It's certainly better to have these originate from the local level from local figures.....as opposed to some suit in a far off place spouting off the same thing to 150 stations.

which refers to the Sinclair ones.

I agree, even the people at the stations think this... Really, which average viewer really cares about some local political issue happening in a place 500 miles away from them?

The owner & president of WFMZ, Dick Dean, does a commentary every weeknight at the end of the 10 o'clock news - usually less than a minute and right before the final break before the Berks Edition starts 10:30.

He used to do it with someone else, but I think that guy died a while ago.

In the Tampa/St. Petersburg market, WTVT does "My View" with anchor John Wilson on a regular basis. That's been a regular feature since at least 2006.

WTSP did editorials with general manager Steve Mauldin in the mid '90s and then quit doing them. Now, under GM Eliot Wiser, I have seen a few. The latest one was how Bay Area residents should attend a Tampa Bay Rays baseball game. Not a real compelling editorial if you ask me.

WFLA did editorials in the early 1980's with Joe Mannion.

I live in New York, and there are no broadcast networks that do editorials. However, I do have News 12 (News12 Long Island) and sometimes only during the weekdays they do a "cablevision editorial" with Peter Kohler, editorial VP at cablevision. I'm not sure if FIOS 1 or NY1 do editorials, since I don't have them. It's usually a 1-2 minute speech right during commercial before the newscast starts (News12 Is a 24 hour news channel). They usually just talk about things going on Long Island and Long Island history and such. I'm not sure if other News 12 stations (Bronx, Brooklyn, Hudson Valley, NJ, CT) do these editorials.

The only other news stations in NYC to do editorials is WNYW with GM Lew Leone called "Lew's Views", WPIX with Lionel, and WWOR has a sports editorial within "Chasing New Jersey" with Russ Salzberg.

It's certainly better to have these originate from the local level from local figures.....as opposed to some suit in a far off place spouting off the same thing to 150 stations.

I've seen the guy Mark Hyman around town a few times and as you mentioned what is hot topic in one market may not fly over so well in the market next to theirs. I just disliked the guy because of their political views (and as a side note making their head anchor do political robocalls).

Are there any stations in the US that do letters to the editor? I know during WBAL does their editorials during the close the feature the stations address but I think that is just there so the public knows rather than any specific purpose. The BBC World Service has a show called World Have Your Say that is also aired on BBC World News that I would say acts as a letter to the editor where regular viewers give their opinions on hot issues.

KMBC has traditionally been the only one to do it in Kansas City.

When I worked in Topeka, we had a monthly editorial segment that ran during a commercial break. It made a 2:45 commercial break more than four minutes long.

None of the stations here in Abilene/Sweetwater, Midland/Odessa, or San Angelo have editorials. This is a very conservative area of the state, and I'm sure just broadcasting something that almost everyone would agree with is redundant and less cost-effective than ads.

KGTV's former GM under McGraw Hill- Darrell Brown, did editorials that would air taped at the end of newscast. IIRC, he did get some viewer feedback on different issues. When he left for KMGH, Derek Dalton took it over, but it only lasted a year before it was canned.

No station in Youngstown has an editorial, and probably won't anytime soon. NE Ohio is as liberal as San Angelo is conservative.

Interestingly enough, I was a semi-regular viewer of WYTV in the middle part of last decade, before they were merged with WKBN. Before the 2004 election, their general manager did an editorial that essentially stated that they would not stand behind either candidate for president. I found it interesting at the time since it was so rare for see such a thing on tv, and have it happen out of the blue like it did.

As an aside, they were one of the few ABC stations that actually aired Saving Private Ryan several days later after most of the other affiliates declined it due to fear of FCC fines....

That's a bit scary.

I just realized WRC NBC Washington essentially does some editorials with their anchor Jim Vance providing commentary under the heading Vance's View. http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/Vances-View.html

Archived