Breaking: Tom Llamas Exiting WNBC

NYNewsCoverage

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tom just signed off...I just caught the last few seconds so I didn't really hear what he said but he did thank everyone...good luck to him...Also interestingly Chuck and Sibila are both off tonight so filling in are David and Shiba...Seems David has been filling in for Chuck a lot lately...I think David should be promoted to 5pm and Gus Rosendale should take David's spot, or even put Gus at 5...just not Rob Schmitt, he's not that bad but won't move the needle at 5 especially since Rob and Shiba have little to no chemistry at Noon and are kinda awkward together.

Tom would be perfect at ABC. Really hoping he goes to ABC.

Saw Toms final goodbye mentioned he was offered a job in network news. Wherever he lands ABC, CBS, FOX or CNN I know he will do great.

CNN and FOX would be cable. Network is either ABC or CBS (or NBC but that's looking unlikely.)

Tom would be perfect at ABC. Really hoping he goes to ABC.

CNN and FOX would be cable. Network is either ABC or CBS (or NBC but that's looking unlikely.)

I was just saying as a possibility CNN or FOX. I much prefer him landing at ABC or CBS though.

I don't think Dan will be leaving Weekend GMA. They just lost Bianna and lost Ginger late last year so I don't know that more change would be good. Plus, I don't know that they want another white male anchoring WNT.

Wonder if Amy Robach might be moving to World News Tonight Weekend? I've enjoyed her the past two nights on WNT. Not sure if that's a promotion or not? Then maybe Tom as newsreader on GMA weekday.

I was thinking this, but like you mention, I don't know if thats a promotion or not for Amy.

In terms of Tom's replacement, I don't see an obvious one. If David is moved to weekdays I see him more replacing Chuck; though, I'm not much of a fan of either David or Chuck. And while I like Rob, I think he works better with Sibila than Shiba. Maybe Scott Stanford can return to WNBC as 5pm anchor. Kidding aside, I would like to see WNBC pick up a new anchor for the slot. They hit a home run with Sibila, hopefully they can do it again.

This comes on the heels of Diane Sawyer leaving World News and David Muir moving to the weekday edition of the program. As many others have said, I do see Tom going to ABC News and working on Weekend GMA/Weekday GMA or on Weekend WNT. I primarily watch NBC News, so if Tom moves to ABC I won't see him very often anymore. Nonetheless, I wish him the best and I'll miss him at 5PM on WNBC. There was a lot of chemistry between Tom and Shiba.

As for Tom's replacement, Rob Schmitt makes the most sense as David will most likely replace Chuck. I'm not really a fan of Rob and the ratings most likely will not improve. As others have noted, The chemistry between Rob and Shiba isn't really there. We'll see how things play out in the coming days and weeks.

This is my first post on this website, so hello everyone!

I definetly see Tom going to one of the GMA shows. I don't see him doing World News for some reason. As for who will replace him my money is on Rob Shmitt. While not the strongest candidate he makes the most sense. When Chuck leaves/retires (in the next year or two?) David would be the best to replace him. He should've been on weekdays along time ago. I know TDINY does somewhat well in the mornings but in my opinion WNBC doesn't have very strong anchor teams. As individuals (Darlene, David and Sabilia) they have great people but the teams don't send me. They need a really strong team at 5 cause WCBS and WNYW could easily be beaten. Like I said I know they can't mess the teams to much but David and Darlene would be good at 5. Speaking of strong teams but Going off topic.. When Steve is paired with Taresa Priolo..Great. When WCBS has Dick Brennan and Alice Gainer (this past week) Great.

Just checked his twitter and he said he's staying in New York City.

It's a long shot but could still go to Telemundo at their NYC station - he was essentially saying goodbye to everyone who works at 30 Rock. Telemundo Nuevo York is based out of NJ. Telemundo isn't under the hierarchy of NBC News but the local stations are under the NBC Owned Television Stations.

From what I have seen of him nationally and occasional newscasts I have watched he seemed like a likable guy.

Just checked his twitter and he said he's staying in New York City.

It's a long shot but could still go to Telemundo at their NYC station - he was essentially saying goodbye to everyone who works at 30 Rock. Telemundo Nuevo York is based out of NJ. Telemundo isn't under the hierarchy of NBC News but the local stations are under the NBC Owned Television Stations.

From what I have seen of him nationally and occasional newscasts I have watched he seemed like a likable guy.

Doubt that he's going to Telemundo. He's thanking NBC4ny, NBC 6, NBC News, and MSNBC. If he was going to Telemundo, he could probably still appear on some of those channels. Sounds like he's leaving the NBC family of networks.

I'd sooner put Robach on WNT weekend, Harris to newsreader, and maybe Llamas to the weekend show.

Totally agree with this. This is my dream scenario. Harris meshes better with the weekday crew in my opinion. But I doubt Weekday GMA isn't making any changes for a while. Especially as TODAY edges closer to them. The only changes we'll see coming soon are the additions of Tony Reali, Lindsay Czarniak as a correspondent, and potentially in the next year or 2; we might see GMA add a 9am hour and move Live with Michael and Kelly to 10am especially since Rachael Ray's show is going to be cancelled soon. Her ratings are lower than Katie Couric's were.

All jokes about "Hombre Caliente" aside, is it not possible that Tom's going to a Latin network? Not Telemundo, since that's an NBC affiliate, but there's Univision and the ABC-affilliated Fusion.

Wouldn't be surprised if Llamas contributed to Fusion but I doubt you leave WNBC for a cable net not available in many homes. Fusion is also based in Miami while he will be in New York. Llamas is most likely headed to Weekend GMA or Nightline to replace Harris who will probably move to WNT Weekend. I thought Rebecca Jarvis was in the lead for that seat but based on this hire, I don't see any other position that makes sense.

Totally agree with this. This is my dream scenario. Harris meshes better with the weekday crew in my opinion. But I doubt Weekday GMA isn't making any changes for a while. Especially as TODAY edges closer to them. The only changes we'll see coming soon are the additions of Tony Reali, Lindsay Czarniak as a correspondent, and potentially in the next year or 2; we might see GMA add a 9am hour and move Live with Michael and Kelly to 10am especially since Rachael Ray's show is going to be cancelled soon. Her ratings are lower than Katie Couric's were.

Wouldn't be surprised if Llamas contributed to Fusion but I doubt you leave WNBC for a cable net not available in many homes. Fusion is also based in Miami while he will be in New York. Llamas is most likely headed to Weekend GMA or Nightline to replace Harris who will probably move to WNT Weekend. I thought Rebecca Jarvis was in the lead for that seat but based on this hire, I don't see any other position that makes sense.

Have not seen this, where is it happening?

David's on the 5PM show today. Assuming this is permanent, would Gus anchor weekend evenings with Stacey?

I don't know i that is a good assumption. They could be waiting for a true replacement. When we see promo's with David or they announce it on air, then we can be sure.

Archived