New ESPN graphics

Viper550

I, for one, thank ESPN for forcing me to search through my TV settings to realize that my image was slightly cropped. Now that I can see the remaining 5% of my screen, it's like a brand new world. No, I'm not kidding. The disappearing bar could go, though.

I love the new look purely because it reminds me of the last set of graphics they used on ABC. That said, I have no idea how what the hell they're going to use for the wild card game on ABC in January, cause this sure isn't going to work.

ESPN 2015:

CO5oyOjUYAAV-4b.jpg

ABC 2005:

9d47ZBt.jpg?2

Replace "ESPN MNF" with "ABC WC" problem solved at least I think... Definitely a resemblance between the '05 and '15 versions. Things are in slightly different order obviously.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I, for one, thank ESPN for forcing me to search through my TV settings to realize that my image was slightly cropped. Now that I can see the remaining 5% of my screen, it's like a brand new world. No, I'm not kidding. The disappearing bar could go, though.

I love the new look purely because it reminds me of the last set of graphics they used on ABC. That said, I have no idea how what the hell they're going to use for the wild card game on ABC in January, cause this sure isn't going to work.

ESPN 2015:

CO5oyOjUYAAV-4b.jpg

ABC 2005:

9d47ZBt.jpg?2

As far as the 4:3 instead of the letterboxing? I'm sure they'll just scrunch it all together to fit a 4:3 aspect ratio, the question is how readable will it be but I guess since it'll only be one game on ABC, it isn't that much of a concern.

We got new graphics on NFL coverage in general; from what Monday Night Countdown is giving us, it seems to be more futuristic-looking and doesn't seem to have the Helvetica/white look going on everywhere else.

We definitely can't have flat, solid colored graphics in the NFL, that would be a travesty.

edit: COMPLETELY DIFFERENT EVERYTHING.

Just about every graphic uses the ENTIRE span of the screen, scoreboard included. The scoreboard (which is just a bar rather than college football's funkybox) also hides itself during plays.

[MEDIA=twitter]643564378684567552[/MEDIA]

Are they just replacing it with a new sidebar graphic for their shows or is ESPN trying to do away from it?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Firstly, yes they did.

Secondly, almost a year after they should have, IndyCar finally has the new graphics. It's not a gigantic banner anymore, but a bunch of 4:3-sized rectangles - which is probably intentional, because of their idiotic fixation with still using 4:3 graphics on ABC despite every other network now doing otherwise, and because it's the only motor racing property they have left (read: "ABC's 4:3 fetish").

[MEDIA=twitter]709063999111995394[/MEDIA]

I'll give them a pass on the 4:3 graphics because this new style actually doesn't look too bad with margins. Hilariously, the world feed (which ESPN International handles) rips pages from the San Diego Chargers playbook by...

[MEDIA=twitter]709054191562522624[/MEDIA]

[MEDIA=twitter]709068263095967744[/MEDIA]

using two generations worth of outdated ESPN graphics (which got just even more out of date this season)

• 6 months later...

ESPN has taken the flat look to hockey for the World Cup of Hockey. The pre-tournament games used the Sportsnet scoreboard but ESPN white graphics elsewhere. Now for the tournament proper we have this

[MEDIA=twitter]777248796015075328[/MEDIA]

Actually looks pretty slick.

ESPN has taken the flat look to hockey for the World Cup of Hockey. The pre-tournament games used the Sportsnet scoreboard but ESPN white graphics elsewhere. Now for the tournament proper we have this

[MEDIA=twitter]777248796015075328[/MEDIA]

Actually looks pretty slick.

Looks like NBC but smaller.

• 3 weeks later...

So far, so good. I do like that it's more evolutionary than a total redo. The thin type and 3D-rendered logos were the best part of the old package, so it's nice to see a lot of it remain. The new logo is kinda 'meh', but it's passable. Really, the in-game lower thirds and scoreboard are what needed to go, so I'm still curious what they have planned for that.

[MEDIA=twitter]783470578699276288[/MEDIA]

In my opinion, complaining that TBS's MLB scoreboard is too big (among the other complaints I've seen among Canadians tonight) is an understatement. I literally thought the first picture on this post was ESPN's scoreboard, but it wasn't. That's actually MSG's new scoreboard (which feels like a mixture of ESPN and CBS, although the previous version had the same layout)

The typography is a mess. The giant, ahem, thing on the side is unnecessary.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

College basketball is back; the scoreboard is the same, except it's been made a bit bigger. Actually, it's now about the same size as the old one, so it's not bad (especially because, as the NBA has demonstrated, it could always be worse).

• 1 month later...

It's ... I don't know. It's cool, but it feels like a MNF-ized version of the current graphics.

I probably would have liked it better without an 'athletic' font (works fine for scoring, as regular text, it reads badly). I'm sure I'll get used to it and they did address small little things like being more transparent, but the Helvetica makes the older one read much better than most packages.

Archived