Tribune and CW at an impasse over OTT ambitions

The Frog

I meant their stake in The CW, but what do you know, the sharks are purported to be circling Time Warner again. They've been bleeding for years.

But with the stock plunging, they're way more digestible now, and are the only major media company with a "FOR SALE" sign or anything resembling it hung out.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I swear. If a station was remodeling their bathrooms and someone found out a toilet was being replaced, everyone on here would speculate what station in town was going to buy the toilet.

Chicago could be interesting....given that WBBM does not have a duopoly counterpart. If they were dead-set against putting the CW on their .2, they would have to either buy WPWR or affiliate with (or buy) WCIU. I wonder if Weigel would sell out and use the proceeds for their growing diginet business....

WCIU is currently an independent and there's no reason they couldn't affiliate with the CW. CBS and Weigel are pretty cozy, if you haven't noticed...

WPWR won't sell (Tribune tried to buy them in exchange for FOX getting KCPQ). Perhaps WJYS could be in play (if they don't sell out in the spectrum auction)? It would be WLNY all over again.

Uh, pretty sure it was FOX trying to give away WPWR to Tribune in order to get KCPQ. Does that mean they'd sell to CBS (for whatever reason people think that might happen)? No, but it doesn't mean they wouldn't part with it for the right price.

No it won't, nor will it affect KBCW, and besides, Tribune already owns KTXL there. But what about WDCW? What station in DC will the CW move to if Tribune doesn't renew the CW affiliation?

Thanks. I'm Glad they went with fox because Tribune has been very great for their fox affiliates. as for CW i bet this gets straighten out for WGN as their the flagship of one of the major Tribune stations.

I swear. If a station was remodeling their bathrooms and someone found out a toilet was being replaced, everyone on here would speculate what station in town was going to buy the toilet.

KRON would buy it...and turn it into one sh$#ty MMJ.

Uh, pretty sure it was FOX trying to give away WPWR to Tribune in order to get KCPQ. Does that mean they'd sell to CBS (for whatever reason people think that might happen)? No, but it doesn't mean they wouldn't part with it for the right price.

Yes. This is how I remember it. Fox was trying to force it down Tribune's throat and Tribune wanted no part of it.

Some of the stronger stations such as KTLA and WGN will probably benefit if the CW is lost. I know on KTLA the CW programs are very low-rated and often the station comes in last place.

That's apparently not the case for XETV, as they've re-branded their station and newscasts based on the strength of CW programming in their area.

That's apparently not the case for XETV, as they've re-branded their station and newscasts based on the strength of CW programming in their area.

It's because San Diego is young and hip....and chicks in that prime demo just run around in their underwear taking selfies and tweeting.

But XETV is not a Tribune station.

No, but it's a news-producing CW station.

It's because San Diego is young and hip....and chicks in that prime demo just run around in their underwear taking selfies and tweeting.

They must really be loving those old geezers on Whose Line Is It Anyway. Not to mention those teen heartthrobs, Penn & Teller.

No, but it's a news-producing CW station.

They must really be loving those old geezers on Whose Line Is It Anyway. Not to mention those teen heartthrobs, Penn & Teller.

They like to be reminded of Grandpa who cruises in his woody up and down the 101.

Not to be confused with the "Old Spice KUSI Crowd".

This could be interesting for KPLR as they used to be one of the country's biggest independents and both Tribune and Sinclair have considered swapping affiliations with each other's stations (KDNL/ABC and KPLR/CW). If it happens now though, that couldn't happen as Sinclair has extended their contract till 2020.

It could also possibly affect KPLR/KTVI's news operations for better or worse. (Better=Less network programming so they can add more news on to the now 80+ hours. Worse=No more news or ratings drop as nobody is watching 11 anymore with the lack of programming)

WLVI/Boston is not owned by Tribune. And I have yet to read anything legitimate (yet?) indicating that The CW is considering moving its affiliation away from Sunbeam.

Why would hypothetically CW want to stay with Sunbeam? Why would CBS not want the network it owns part of on its own station?

And WLNY, WSBK, and WBFS

Legally, WLNY isn't a NYC station. CBS asked the FCC to take it out of the DMA so that it could purchase 101.9 FM outright (now as the FM home for WFAN). While WLNY has a significant cable presence throughout the market... it's still a Long Island station. Putting the CW there won't work.

In L.A., I'm sure CBS would do the same thing with KCAL should KTLA lose the affiliation.

And lose the monopoly it has on prime-time newscasts? Even when KCAL was a standalone, it's more than held its own. I find it hard to believe that CBS will flippantly throw that out the window.

Why would hypothetically CW want to stay with Sunbeam? Why would CBS not want the network it owns part of on its own station?

I'm pretty sure that Ed Ansin will pony up whatever CBS wants to have the CW on WHDH. Yes, he's said that plans are for WHDH to become a "news-intensive independent," but that isn't exactly indicative of anything. Remember that LIN was planning to run WISH as an independent while furiously working behind the scenes to buy the CW affiliation from Tribune.

WSBK doesn't need the CW. Yes, it would be ideal to have it there and for CBS to have a pure duopoly, but there's nothing to suggest that they really want it.

And lose the monopoly it has on prime-time newscasts? Even when KCAL was a standalone, it's more than held its own. I find it hard to believe that CBS will flippantly throw that out the window.

I agree. In March 2015 ratings, KCAL 9 newscasts at 8 p.m. and 9 p.m. averaged 136,000 viewers compared to KTLA's CW lineup at 88,000 viewers. CBS will have a tough decision to make. CBS might decide to timeshift CW lineup to later in the night. However, timeshifting in the #2 market is probably not the best for the CW. Well, if Tribune comes to an agreement, none of these scenarios will play out.

Legally, WLNY isn't a NYC station. CBS asked the FCC to take it out of the DMA so that it could purchase 101.9 FM outright (now as the FM home for WFAN). While WLNY has a significant cable presence throughout the market... it's still a Long Island station. Putting the CW there won't work.

This is probably why CBS is reported to be in talks with Fox about switching some of it's MyNetworkTV stations to The CW if Tribune doesn't come to an agreement. In the case of Los Angeles, KCOP has aired MNTV in late night since September, so the timeslot is open for The CW. And in New York, Fox could do the same thing with WWOR.

Larry Wert at NATPE:

Wert commented on the on-going feud between CW and Tribune in which the network is demanding higher reverse comp fees from Tribune.

He dismissed talk that the CW partners CBS and Warner Bros. might bypass Tribune by streaming the CW on an OTT channel if they cannot come to any agreement with the station group.

“I don’t think you have the economics to support that,” he said. “Maybe that is somebody’s posturing.”

But he also said he was optimistic the parties would reach an agreement and continue their partnership. “Our company helped launch that network so we have a vested interest in it and I think they do a great job.”

http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/91643/turbulent-times-for-station-group-execs

Naturally, it all comes down to reverse comp fees.

This is probably why CBS is reported to be in talks with Fox about switching some of it's MyNetworkTV stations to The CW if Tribune doesn't come to an agreement. In the case of Los Angeles, KCOP has aired MNTV in late night since September, so the timeslot is open for The CW. And in New York, Fox could do the same thing with WWOR.
And Fox could also do the same thing for KDFI, KTXH, and WDCA as well (all of them are in markets where Tribune owns a CW affiliate)

In STL, MyNetTV used to be it's own channel before they sold to ION and the MyNetTV affiliation moved to KMOV 4.3. If Tribune lost CW and needed an affiliation, they could see if KMOV will give up MyNet and put CW on 4.3 instead.

So this means the following Stations will probably have to do something about their affiliations however some of them may end up switching or staying:

KXNW, KWGN, WCCT, WSFL, WGN, WNOL, WPIX, KPLR, KRCW, KAUT, WPHL KIAH, KDAF, and KJOE (JoeTV).

In STL, MyNetTV used to be it's own channel before they sold to ION and the MyNetTV affiliation moved to KMOV 4.3. If Tribune lost CW and needed an affiliation, they could see if KMOV will give up MyNet and put CW on 4.3 instead.

what would they replace the 10 hours of CW with?

Archived