Tribune and CW at an impasse over OTT ambitions

The Frog

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is what that article should've said:

"WGN is very news and sports-focused. Sports-focused because it has a slate of more than 150 live Cubs, Sox, Bulls and Blackhawks games. That has led to regular pre-emptions of the CW while WGN has had to move as many as 30 games a year to another local station in Chicago. WGN is also news-focused because it has expanded its news operation over the past 18 months to include weekday 4:00pm, weeknight 10:00pm and weekend 5:00pm newscasts and is home to Chicago's #1 local morning newscast, the WGN Morning News, which continuously beats the local and national morning shows in the market. WGN will now become Independent."

When it comes to News AND Sports in Chicago... nobody beats WGN.

If this is an isolated occurrence, then the effect on the CW shouldn't be too detrimental. Fox could easily move MyNetwork to a subchannel or time shift their programming on either WFLD or WPWR.

Now if this spreads to other markets and FOX picks up the CW there, we may have a problem. It could be the slow demise of UPN all over again when United sold out to FOX....

WGN needs to be an independent station again...it's too bad Tribune destroyed the superstation with their independent programming and dropping the newscasts. I want my Tom Freakin' Skilling!!!

the superstation isn't coming back but they still stream the news

They can add news or take it away anyway they want now. It's a bold move that is really ideal for the market/station dynamics.

Local, Local, Local with max programming flexibility. They are making a commitment to free ota sports...and they have gobs of it.

Guest Former Member 207

I think because of this move by WGN, don't be surprised if reruns of WGN America's originals wind up on 9's primetime schedule in the near-future.

My guess is at least in the interim they'll shift their sitcom rerun inventory (probably Friends and Two and a Half Men) into primetime as it's easy to shift/pre-empt for sports.

They can add news or take it away anyway they want now. It's a bold move that is really ideal for the market/station dynamics.

Local, Local, Local with max programming flexibility. They are making a commitment to free ota sports...and they have gobs of it.

I think losing CW is *beneficial* to WGN precisely because of their sports load. Now they don't have to worry about preemptions or moving games to another station in the market.

Wow. One Question: Did any top 3 markets have affiliate switch before or this the first time? I asked this because I don't know much about affiliate switches?

Not since the 1940s or so when we had DuMont and whatnot. KTTV was LA's CBS station before CBS bought KTSL, changing the call letters first to KNXT and then to KCBS.

WGN needs to be an independent station again...it's too bad Tribune destroyed the superstation with their independent programming and dropping the newscasts. I want my Tom Freakin' Skilling!!!

Syndex ultimately killed off Superstation WGN.

But everyone wants their Tom Freakin' Skilling.

Syndex ultimately killed off Superstation WGN.

But everyone wants their Tom Freakin' Skilling.

I'm fairly certain that there's a clause buried in TVNewsTalk's charter that states that this clip must be posted at least once every year, and I'm 110% on board with it.

I think losing CW is *beneficial* to WGN precisely because of their sports load. Now they don't have to worry about preemptions or moving games to another station in the market.
One thing though, what station would replace WPWR as a MyNetworkTV affiliate and if there isn't one, how is it supposed to carry the CW and MyNet at the same time? Couldn't CBS buy a station to make a douopoly with CBS 2 in Chicago? Other than that, it's all good.

One thing though, what station would replace WPWR as a MyNetworkTV affiliate and if there isn't one, how is it supposed to carry the CW and MyNet at the same time? Couldn't CBS buy a station to make a douopoly with CBS 2 in Chicago? Other than that, it's all good.

WPWR would just shift MyNet to 10pm while running CW in the 8-10 slot.

They'll just dump it to late night like stations as big as WWOR and KCOP have done.

MyNetworkTV airs 10 hours of programming a week. WPWR airs what looks like six hours of infomercials every night. They could cut a fraction ofthat and air MNTV right after the CW and not be worse for wear. They could cut some of the shows that also airs on WFLD, like Dr. Oz or TMZ Live. There's room enough for both on WPWR if they want.

WPWR would just shift MyNet to 10pm while running CW in the 8-10 slot.

They'll just dump it to late night like stations as big as WWOR and KCOP have done.

MyNetworkTV airs 10 hours of programming a week. WPWR airs what looks like six hours of infomercials every night. They could cut a fraction of that and air MNTV right after the CW and not be worse for wear. They could cut some of the shows that also airs on WFLD, like Dr. Oz or TMZ Live. There's room enough for both on WPWR if they want.
And I'm sure some other MyNet O&O stations and affiliates have done the same thing. But the only other thing is, will WPWR keep their current logo, or will they get a new one?

And I'm sure some other MyNet O&O stations and affiliates have done the same thing. But the only other thing is, will WPWR keep their current logo, or will they get a new one?

Zero (0) reason why they wouldn't become.....CW Power 50/WPWR (or something like that).

Zero (0) reason why they wouldn't become.....CW Power 50/WPWR (or something like that).

Definitely makes sense; the CW has pretty much killed the tired and Ostroff-loved 'CW channel number' or 'CW region' schemes in the last few years, and Sinclair just allowed WVTV in Milwaukee to resume using their old 'Super 18' branding that predated their WB affiliation. "Power 50, The CW Chicago" looks most likely (notwithstanding the FCC lip service they have to give to Gary in the TOTH ID's).

Archived