Tribune and CW at an impasse over OTT ambitions

The Frog

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wow. Okay. Question... MyTV will be there or will be gone from WPWR? That's still the million dollar question.

Don't think this really answers the question, but if you go to Dawn's Facebook page and watch the video you do still see a small "My 50" logo on the van.

Wow. Okay. Question... MyTV will be there or will be gone from WPWR? That's still the million dollar question.

I just spoke to an engineer at the station. He says that the current plan is for CW programming to air from 7pm to 9pm CTZ. Syndicated programming will air from 9 to 10 p.m. (Don't know what shows.) and then MNT from 10 to Midnight.

I just spoke to an engineer at the station. He says that the current plan is for CW programming to air from 7pm to 9pm CTZ. Syndicated programming will air from 9 to 10 p.m. (Don't know what shows.) and then MNT from 10 to Midnight.

So WPWR is going the WKTC (Columbia) route by airing CW/MyTV ?

Currently they air Big Bang Theory, then How I Met Your Mother at 9 and 9:30 pm CT. Just checked their schedule.

You get the feeling that Fox may just be ready to call it quits on MNTV? Or at least let it quietly fade away?

I could see it becoming unbranded eventually, but it'll never go completely away. It's cheap to buy the rights to these shows and I'm sure the actors aren't complaining about the royalties no matter the ratings, the stations are happy with the ad split they get with Fox, and they don't have to fill primetime/late night themselves. Plus Fox wants to keep an active station base from defecting to any effort Weigel, Katz or those subchannel networks might want to promote on .1's

And first-run syndicated product is just a pipe dream in the world of Netflix and Hulu now and a reality that even the lowest-rated networks commission original series now (thankfully not yet to the point we're seeing "an original Liquidation Channel dramatic series" :p). The only projects that break through these days over-the-air are either Canadian fare recouping investments or complete European action glurge that doesn't even get ironic viewership in the States. At that point you might as well let Verizon write a check to you and take down the transmitter.

I could see it becoming unbranded eventually, but it'll never go completely away. It's cheap to buy the rights to these shows and I'm sure the actors aren't complaining about the royalties no matter the ratings, the stations are happy with the ad split they get with Fox, and they don't have to fill primetime/late night themselves. Plus Fox wants to keep an active station base from defecting to any effort Weigel, Katz or those subchannel networks might want to promote on .1's

And first-run syndicated product is just a pipe dream in the world of Netflix and Hulu now and a reality that even the lowest-rated networks commission original series now (thankfully not yet to the point we're seeing "an original Liquidation Channel dramatic series" :p). The only projects that break through these days over-the-air are either Canadian fare recouping investments or complete European action glurge that doesn't even get ironic viewership in the States. At that point you might as well let Verizon write a check to you and take down the transmitter.

That was what i what was thinking tho. the brand may go away (no mntv mentions/ads whatsoever) but the stations will promote themselves independent. They may bring back and refine any last logos pre WB/UPN and go hyper local with identifications. Can you imagine just 'channel 9'? Kinda like indy stations with the 'action pack' or PTEN syndie service. (*suggestions*) They'll just have to dig into further programming (maybe canadian/british shows NOT on netflix or some classics still in syndie circuit) and sports (not all tied up with RSNs) instead of looking like parking lots for double runs no matter how valuable. And More Movies please.

Guest Former Member 207

That was what i what was thinking tho. the brand may go away (no mntv mentions/ads whatsoever) but the stations will promote themselves independent. They may bring back and refine any last logos pre WB/UPN and go hyper local with identifications. Can you imagine just 'channel 9'? Kinda like indy stations with the 'action pack' or PTEN syndie service. (*suggestions*) They'll just have to dig into further programming (maybe canadian/british shows NOT on netflix or some classics still in syndie circuit) and sports (not all tied up with RSNs) instead of looking like parking lots for double runs no matter how valuable. And More Movies please.

I think mrschimpf is right in regards to seeing the "My xx/(city-region)" branding eventually going away...especially now that Fox's own MyNet stations have or will bump (at least in L.A. and Chicago) its programming to late nights, and even WWOR has a bit of history of playing "fast and loose" with the MyNet schedule (Yankee games on Tuesday nights up until 2014, a primetime "Simpsons" block on some Thursdays, and so on). And for all intents and purposes, the first-run syndication market (as far as original scripted character-driven shows) is dead--with cable and online original scripted shows, they can push creative limits with little to no consequences, and except in rare instances, you don't have to deal with any types of standards and practices. The best these the stations can do at this point is to stick it out with they currently have, or just give up the ghost, and just become an affiliate of a subchannel network...on the other side of it, I do see Fox eventually auctioning-off their MyNet station frequencies, and move everything over to the co-owned Fox network station, especially once ATSC 3.0 goes into effect.

As far as sports, in Los Angeles, Fox Sports West and Prime Ticket uses KCOP pretty much as an overflow channel, especially come NBA/NHL playoff time--the Kings and Ducks both had some regular season and playoff games air on 13 this past season, and some Angels games in April got moved over to 13 because of playoff hockey and basketball (Clippers). All of the other Fox-owned MyNet stations that happen to be in the same home market as a Fox Sports regional net are pretty much shut out of live sports unless they can grab a syndicated package (like Raycom's ACC football and basketball packages, or the American Sports Network) or one of the FSNs do a time-buy on one of these stations.

Y'know, I'm honestly surprised there's no 24-hour news channel for NYC or LA. If any DMAs are capable of having such a channel on a broadcast frequency, it's those two.

Y'know, I'm honestly surprised there's no 24-hour news channel for NYC or LA. If any DMAs are capable of having such a channel on a broadcast frequency, it's those two.

Ahem... *cough* NY1 and News 12 *cough*

Unless if you're talking about over-the-air in which case, yes I'm surprised. Add Chicago and Philly to that list too.

Archived