WNBC To Get Studio 3K

rkolsen

Studio 3K which hasn't been seen on air for a while is currently being remodeled for WNBC per a post on Dennis Degan's Flickr account:

[MEDIA=flickr]28714457942[/MEDIA]

I wrote a question about 3K:

So that's how they move the desks in and out.

I'm amazed at the resolution of the video walls in 3A and the fourth floor studio. The videos walls gave the impression that Rachel Maddow and Brian Williams were inside the arenas during the conventions and debates.

I haven't seen 3K in use for a while. Any word on what's going on in there?

Here's Dennis' response:

Funny you should ask. Studio 3K is now being remodeled with local station WNBC-TV's new news set! I have seen the work under construction. The space is perfect for WNBC. You heard it here first!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Exciting news! A bit odd tho, considering that WNBC's current set is by far the best set in the market, despite being 4.5 years old. I feel like this is possibly just change for change's sake, rather than a necessity. I'm sure it's something very exciting if they were willing to do a studio shuffle.

This is Great news.

WNBC really needs a new larger space, as Studio 3C currently is probably the American version of CBBC's Broom Cupboard studio of the 80s.

The square footage of the studio in its WNBC configuration is 2,500 square feet. I think it may have been a bit larger when it was a conjoined newsroom for MSNBC/Nightly News.

WNBC's studio probably would look bigger if it didn't have such an awkward layout and was more square/rectangular in shape.

Neat photo gallery. WNBC's current studio is like a closet. How much bigger is 3K compared to it? And when did they move into their current home, 2012? Not a very long time ago.

3K and 3C both occupy the space of former NBC radio studios. 3K is built in the footprint of two of the former radio studios, 3F and 3H (which became NBC's first TV studio in the 30's). 3C is roughly in the space one of those radio studios. so it will be roughly double the width of what they have now.

6A was 1,300 sq ft bigger (at the time, they made it slightly bigger for Fallon's Tonight Show) than 3K is, so it's probably not going to be on the scale of that set.

EDIT: Here's a wide shot of 3K:

[MEDIA=flickr]557860279[/MEDIA]

Dennis, love your insider behind the scenes photos. I've seen the floor plans of the NBC New York Studios elsewhere. I've been unable to find exactly what the dimensions of the various NBC New York Studios - height, width, length - are. Can anyone provide that information? I'm always trying to figure out what the exact wall to wall size is since so many different shows originate from these historic studios and the orientation is always different that each respective show has and the renovations that seem to be constantly ongoing. The same goes for all tv network and syndicated productions in both New York and Los Angeles multipurpose studios.

Dennis, love your insider behind the scenes photos. I've seen the floor plans of the NBC New York Studios elsewhere. I've been unable to find exactly what the dimensions of the various NBC New York Studios - height, width, length - are. Can anyone provide that information? I'm always trying to figure out what the exact wall to wall size is since so many different shows originate from these historic studios and the orientation is always different that each respective show has and the renovations that seem to be constantly ongoing. The same goes for all tv network and syndicated productions in both New York and Los Angeles multipurpose studios.

Here you go: http://www.filmmakersdestination.com/

I found a photo of the new WNBC set on Instagram:

K5BpehO.jpg

It looks huge, but very traditional and staid. I kind of like the of the current set better? Looks like this photo only shows secondary areas tho.

Edit: Found a photo of an earlier construction phase:

TPq2PWg.jpg

I found a photo of the new WNBC set on Instagram:

K5BpehO.jpg

It looks huge, but very traditional and staid. I kind of like the of the current set better? Looks like this photo only shows secondary areas tho.

Eek, that already looks dated!!!

Eek, that already looks dated!!!

I just added a second photo, it looks like there's going to be a similar monitor array to the current set behind the desk area, so I think it'll be an evolutionary design. I'll reserve judgement until I see it on air.

Should be interesting to see how it looks on air, but in that photo, it looks very much like CNBC circa 1998.

I think it may be the curvy nature and printed graphics. That being said it looks like they now have many different presentation areas.

It appears interesting that they kept the same desk style without it being front by monitors (all the other monitors appear to be installed and the space looks too small).

And finally is it just me or does it look like the vertical monitors behind them may have a curve?

Edit: Check out the users other pictures. The new Fox Business studio looks amazing.

I'm digging that fact that the walls are made up of glass panels in front of a lit backdrop. That should add at least some depth beyond a duratran or other printed graphic. As for the rest of it, there may be a little too much wood compared to the outgoing set, but I'm glad they're keeping familiar elements like the desk and "windows". Why reinvent the wheel?

Trouble editing my last post but do any of you think they may move WNJU over into 30 Rock? They could consolidate their footprint and now that there will be an open studio. The only kink would be that 3C appears to be smaller than their current space. It seems like Telemundo stations need more room because of Acceso Total which seems to have a lot of different needs - room for musicians/band to a general interview set.

Finally, for the camera tests, how easy would it be to set up and move the cameras back and forth between studios and between shows? WNBC just got a new Grass Valley camera kit and CamBot robots last year and these have the same markings as were in the present studio.

[quote name='SFTV']Seriously....the blue walls with the peacock scream KNBC back in 2008[/QUOTE] I hope they atleast are backlit with LED lights. And Scott at FTV Live is pissing me off with his stories he has done in the past and now with this thread. He refers to us as sources and included information especially the link that @DMA (don't know how to tag a user) showing the construction pictures. He touts it as secret but if it was so secret it wouldn't be on social media.

Horrible "journalism" and honestly pretty petty. I am not the source of the photos, so I credited the person who posted them online. FTV Live is acting like they got an exclusive, when really just cropped out credit from the original photographer, David Cruise. Shame on them.

I always knew he couldn't proofread, but I didn't realize to what extent he scrapes from other people without credit. And his hubris is quickly approaching Rich Lieberman levels. The whole "talking about yourself in first person plural" when you're really just one blogger is getting really old.

Archived