San Diego CW affiliation moving from XETV to KFMB

AKA

Haven't they posted any press releases elsewhere regarting the switch of Canal 5, other then on-air mentions?

That's not the way Televisa operates, quite honestly. They haven't put out press releases other than the promos they're apparently airing. Other technical changes by Televisa in other areas, such as the repacking of three of their four Mexico City stations in which they ran a message asking viewers to retune on the old xmtrs with the new ones active at the same time, or the program content switches they did in 2016 that were probably to keep shadows in line, did not get press releases or much fanfare.

• Replies 718
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is what I think the sign-off will be for XETV if they did one for just such an occasion.

"This is XETV-TDT Channel 6 / Tijuana, Baja California - San Diego, California, effectively ending English-language programming for good. As of this moment, XETV is now owned and operated by Televisa in Mexico, which in a few minutes, will convert this station to Spanish-language programming. XETV had its studios and offices located on Ronson Road in the Kearney Mesa section of San Diego and our transmitter located on Mount San Antonio in Tijuana. We broadcasted on 200 kilowatts of power atop a height of 705.4 feet to broadcast local and national English-language programming on Channel 6 under the licensing federal authority of the Federal Telecommunications Institute (IFT - Instituto Federal de Telecomunicaciones) in Mexico City. After broadcasting English-language programming for 64 years, XETV will soon switch off to Spanish-language programming. On behalf of the entire staff and management of XETV who have brought you Independent, ABC, FOX and The CW programming over the past 64 years, we thank you for being our loyal viewers and for always choosing XETV.

For the last time in English, this has been XETV-TDT Channel 6 / Tijuana, Baja California - San Diego, California, now signing off English-language programming for good. We wish you a most pleasant good night... goodbye and farewell. And now, the National Anthems of Mexico and the United States."

(Of course, it's not signing off for good but hey, its one era ending for another to begin.)

For all intents and purposes, XETV permanently said "goodbye" after the last newscast. Maybe there will be a very brief closedown message or ID slide, but I'm not counting on it. Just a quick cut to black.

XETV hasn't even played the Star-Spangled Banner alongside the Mexican National Anthem as part of their mandated Monday 5am sign-on announcement for quite some time...

For all intents and purposes, XETV permanently said "goodbye" after the last newscast. Maybe there will be a very brief closedown message or ID slide, but I'm not counting on it. Just a quick cut to black.

XETV hasn't even played the Star-Spangled Banner alongside the Mexican National Anthem as part of their mandated Monday 5am sign-on announcement for quite some time...

I feel so dirty....and used.

I will watch the last hours completely naked.

(picture rejected by admin)

FYI...

The COX onscreen guide shows XETV programming "off air" after 6am...wed morning.

It shows King of queens till 1am...the paid programming...the doctors(5am-6am)...then "off air".

FYI...

The COX onscreen guide shows XETV programming "off air" after 6am...wed morning.

It shows King of queens till 1am...the paid programming...the doctors(5am-6am)...then "off air".

Saw the same thing with Zap2It. My guess is that TitanTV is going to replace XETV with 8.3 when the switchover happens, so forget those last six hours... ;)

Make a big stink then disappear?

Nothing could outdo ITV affiliate Southern Television's "...And it's goodbye from us." The ultimate in bad blood and sour grapes, ending with a truly bitter TV closedown.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TFAlxpXK3s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2QS-aLGSGE

Seriously, watch the end of the second video... all the station personnel standing in front of the camera like they are wax dummies with a full majestic fanfare behind them... followed by the stations' star logo fading slowly into a starry sky (get it?).

Fade to black. Carrier cut.

It's so outrageous it's laughable.

XETV will go out like a giant fart at 11:59pm tonight.

Someone will walk to a transmitter room and sit in front of a control panel somewhere on Mount San Antonio and edit some tables, and suddenly 6.1 will start showing Canal 5 programs (and 6.2, barring a flip to Gala TV or CJ Grand Shopping, will disappear outright).

If it wasn't replaced after analog shutoff in 2013 or more recently (which I'd suspect - Televisa presumably junked a bunch of old DTV transmitters in Mexico City and they had some beefy equipment for their Tijuana UHF), that transmitter looks like this:

xetv-dt-tx.jpg

Let's not forget that this is the final work day for some people — namely, what sales and engineering staff was left to run the station.

Nothing could outdo ITV affiliate Southern Television's "...And it's goodbye from us." The ultimate in bad blood and sour grapes, ending with a truly bitter TV closedown.

Seriously, watch the end of the second video... all the station personnel standing in front of the camera like they are wax dummies with a full majestic fanfare behind them... followed by the stations' star logo fading slowly into a starry sky (get it?).

I'm running out of children to hug.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TFAlxpXK3s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2QS-aLGSGE

Not to mention Portakabin TV.

Not to mention Portakabin TV.

I found it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lHH5Q928B4

And yes, this went over the air.

Even better, Southern's final program was supposed to end at midnight, and the successor franchise TVS was to have taken over immediately. Southern's show went 45 minutes over, ending the program at 12:45 and blatantly turning off the transmitter, incurring a significant fine by the IBA.

I found it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lHH5Q928B4

And yes, this went over the air.

Even better, Southern's final program was supposed to end at midnight, and the successor franchise TVS was to have taken over immediately. Southern's show went 45 minutes over, ending the program at 12:45 and blatantly turning off the transmitter, incurring a significant fine by the IBA.

And the funny thing (besides this) is that TVS then made it's successor operate out of Portakabins.

Just imagine if ABC, NBC/Telemundo/Cozi, Fox/MNT/Movies and CBS/CW/Decades all had to be franchised. For the most part, you'd lose syndicated shows, which would be exclusive to those franchisees (Except those from Warner Bros [unless those were included with CW] and Sony). But still, it'd be pretty competitive.

Then you'd have to franchise the subchannels, Sony's Get TV and the ones from Weigel (MeTV, H&I), MGM (Comet, Charge), Tribune (Antenna, This) and Katz (Escape, Bounce, Grit, Laff)

Within the hour, the Twitter handle was changed from @cw6sandiego to @thecwsandiego

Also, the website thecwsandiego.com just went live.

KFMB released the full programming schedule in PDF.

And TitanTV bought back KFMB's 8.2 & 8.3 grids of its guide. However, the 8.2 grid shows a listing from the CW Plus schedule, instead of KFMB's own CW schedule.

b2YmPJ8.png

I hear this is the piece of music they'll play at the funeral...

Let me see if I get this right since I do speak Spanish.

The community of the TVNewsTalk.net forum is in pain to Televisa Tijuana for the falling of Bay City Television after 18 years for so much to speak. We send our sentiments to the ex-employees and the television viewers.

San Diego, 31st of May, 2017.

Is that somewhat accurate?

Let me see if I get this right since I do speak Spanish.

The community of the TVNewsTalk.net forum is in pain to Televisa Tijuana for the falling of Bay City Television after 18 years for so much to speak. We send our sentiments to the ex-employees and the television viewers.

San Diego, 31st of May, 2017.

Is that somewhat accurate?

This is specifically in the style of large public notice (and other) obituaries often seen in Mexico. Google "sensible fallecimiento" and you will immediately see that this is a thing.

I'd translate it as

"The TVNewsTalk.net community joins the pain felt by Televisa Tijuana on the deeply felt passing of its subsidiary, Bay City Television, which for 18 years gave us so much to talk about. We send our sentiments to the ex-employees and loyal viewers."

On one of its final commercial breaks just now, XETV had a promo for 2 Broke Girls - weeknights at 7. Would have thought they took those out of the commercial clusters.

Archived