KHOU Building Flooded

Weeters

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was under the impression that KIII had a contingency plan to send MC duties to KENS or KHOU when things got too much.

KIII has only been a sister station of them for barely 2 years as well, but it is a lot easier to move a smaller station. The biggest challenge is that the roads are impassable so they can't take anyone to other stations right now. They would have to use staff at another station to run an operation, and can they switch to, say, WFAA, suddenly?

I know KIII has been rolling coverage since early Friday, and KSDK had Craig Moeller come in from St Louis to assist them. KHOU I don't think picked up anyone.

A lot of people didn't expect the effects to come into Houston until MAYBE midweek as the forecast didn't show it sliding that way for a few more days.

EDIT: KCEN posted a story with video: http://www.kcentv.com/weather/flood-water-seeps-into-houston-news-studio-during-live-broadcast/468102098

I know KIII has been rolling coverage since early Friday, and KSDK had Craig Moeller come in from St Louis to assist them. KHOU I don't think picked up anyone.

They mentioned on the FB stream that they picked up a reporter from Jacksonville.

I watched all the Houston tv stations late last night and overnight for many hours. I was not impressed with anyone except for KTRK. Having gone through a number of catastrophes in Los Angeles, they were the only ones that had a major market feel. Excellent coverage on the fly. KHOU, before the flooding, just could not match their coverage especially live reports from around Houston and beyond. In my view, KHOU was the worst of the 4.

I just found out KHOU was getting flooded (I'm getting flooded as well)

Best of luck to you and your family.

Right now, it's a straight simulcast of WFAA, while WFAA is carrying the live video feed of KHOU photogs.

Is it also airing on WFAA?

The L3s and weather graphics as of right now are showing the NEWS8 logo. And they mentioned on the live stream that it's a direct simulcast from WFAA.

I'm watching the KHOU live feed. My understanding was they are stepping in for KHOU, not simulcasting (I didn't hear them say they were).

I'm watching the KHOU live feed. My understanding was they are stepping in for KHOU, not simulcasting (I didn't hear them say they were).

I misheard earlier. They did just say "we're standing in for KHOU11."

But to be fair, this is a statewide disaster, so a straight simulcast wouldn't have been out of the realm of possibility.

So, I was looking at the beginning of the KHOU live stream and it looks like most of the producers and other staff that evac'd from the station are at the Federal Reserve Bank, which is just up the block from the studios. I think someone mentioned earlier that they are trying to get set up at the PBS station which will take them a while to get up there.

There's a WBIR reporter in Corpus, so Tegna has deployed some rather far-flung resources.

Most of their assets I think they deployed closer to the coast to cover the initial landfall....

I misheard earlier. They did just say "we're standing in for KHOU11."

But to be fair, this is a statewide disaster, so a straight simulcast wouldn't have been out of the realm of possibility.

That said Dallas isn't really being affected directly (at this time at least) so WFAA can fill in.

I believe that KRIS/KZTV were working with the Nexstar stations in Texas as well (since they are the only Cordillera stations in the state, and Nexstar is absent from Corpus Christi).

So the normal backup station for KHOU is WFAA. I know that does not make a lot of sense, but that dates back to the BELO days. Also KIII, and KBMT are also having there own stuff with rain. KAGS is a semi-satellite of KCEN and might not have the infrastructure to fully take on a backup role.

In reference to the location, in 2001, yes they did get flooded. Now I am assuming the flood gates were added after that, but probably not much. Now in reference to the Houston PBS studios, they are located close to the University of Houston on the Southeast side of downtown (Gulf Freeway and Elgin street). If the bayou is flooded, I don't know how in the heck they are going to get over there) if Allen Parkway is flooded.

@Weeters mentioned the likely lack of available engineers. It's an industry-wide problem that will become a crisis in the not-too-distant future, especially when many aging engineers continue to retire. [URL='https://radioinsight.com/blogs/107223/the-looming-engineering-age-crisis/'][B]Chris Tarr did a guest op-ed for Radio Insight not long ago, echoing many of Weeters's points.[/B][/URL] It's an important read IMO.

Archived