Georgie56

From the Variety article.... That sounds exactly like what happened at Fox News. Comcast needs to launch a full investigation as 21CF did, and clean house if necessary. Remember these are the same executives who passed on Ronan Farrow's Harvey Weinstein story. It almost seems like there might be a larger issue with the culture at NBC News.

Yeah, that Variety article was insightful. Having a secret button underneath your desk to lock your office door is very odd and disturbing at the same time.

I have a hunch we will be seeing more of this within many areas of the media industry, Disney already has the whole Lasseter thing that is about to explode. The tides are certainly changing.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a hunch we will be seeing more of this within many areas of the media industry, Disney already has the whole Lasseter thing that is about to explode. The tides are certainly changing.

I absolutely felt that with Charlie Rose's ouster. We're headed into uncharted territory.

Article mentions Hoda was raced in as a last minute substitute. Makes me wonder if they should bring back the newsreader position. It's benefits would be having someone who can step in at a moments notice and also would be a perfect position to groom someone to be promoted should one of the two main anchors leave.

The Winter Olympics in February will be an opportunity for NBC to showcase the new Today team

Might be too early to speculate, but Ann Curry would be my choice... if she were to return, that would be the ultimate move regain some integrity and bring female empowerment during this new journalism era.

Matt is being accused of intimidating women he worked with into sex or sexual acts with him. He had a freaking button under his desk that locked his office door when people came in. There is a difference between sleeping with a coworker (which is still a violation of most company policies) and intimidating people with your power to have sex with you. Matt is accused of the latter.

Saw that on WNT, I'm sorry but if it was known about the button, Why wasn't he gone long ago??? That smells bad for many reasons, not just the current one. Did he install it or was it there already?

Yeah, that Variety article was insightful. Having a secret button underneath your desk to lock your office door is very odd and disturbing at the same time.

About to Explode?????? Didn't we just go through that last week?! Don't tell me there's more to come?! I just stopped worrying about Coco's Box Office sales.....

My question is,if CBS didn't respond the way they did with Charlie Rose would NBC been as quick as they were to fire Lauer? Or would they have suspended him first? IMO CBS really set a new standard here. I really didn't think Lauer would go out this way. It'll be interesting to see what happens in the days and weeks to come. And who replaces him

I'm shocked that this news happened in general, but not all the way because of the growing scandal of sexual harassment allegations against well-known men in news and entertainment. I was a pretty good fan of Laurer during my childhood and teen years, and when I heard a few rumors about him over the years (including the infamous one involving Natalie Morales), I was pretty sad to say the least. And now that at least one was proven, I found it disheartening...for a little bit. I'm one of the few people here who can admit, I liked Matt Laurer when watching Today. Or at least used to now that this news blew up.

I didn't watch Savannah and Hoda's response live on the show this morning, but did hear about the news later on Access Hollywood Live--where my jaw dropped and I immediately thought of what Natalie would say. All the women's responses were exactly like Norah O'Donnell and Gayle King's responses on CBS This Morning: shock, frustration, hurt and heartbreak in their voices and statements. And I certainly feel sorry for all of them in these cases, as well the poor women who suffered the harassment in both Laurer and Charlie Rose's cases. And the same with Rose.

And I applaud them all for speaking as honest and candid as possible under their circumstances and situations.

My trust and respect for both men personally are done. I still respect their careers but that's it from me.

Regarding the quick turnaround (receipt of formal complaint on Monday evening, termination on Wednesday morning), one (or both) of two possibilities may have been true:

1) NBC had already initiated an investigation prior to the Monday evening complaint. (They may have been aware of the stories NYT and Variety were working on.)

2) NBC confronted Lauer with the allegations, and he admitted to [some of] them.

Hopefully there was not a rush to judgment without due diligence, as some have speculated. Frankly I doubt there was, as it would expose Comcast/NBC to a wrongful termination lawsuit from Lauer.

On the subject of "the button" specifically: Lauer was not the only one at NBC who had one of these. Other senior folks do, too.

When they were installed, they may have been justified on the grounds of security (i.e., these are high profile individuals who are at a greater security risk than most). If there were a need to initiate a lockdown due to a threat such as an intruder or assailant in the building, "the button" would make it fast and easy to do so.

Of course, that doesn't prevent them from being used for nefarious purposes. I suspect their use will be reviewed.

On the subject of "the button" specifically: Lauer was not the only one at NBC who had one of these. Other senior folks do, too.

When they were installed, they may have been justified on the grounds of security (i.e., these are high profile individuals who are at a greater security risk than most). If there were a need to initiate a lockdown due to a threat such as an intruder or assailant in the building, "the button" would make it fast and easy to do so.

Of course, that doesn't prevent them from being used for nefarious purposes. I suspect their use will be reviewed.

So, is the button common place at all national news outlets?

Regarding the quick turnaround (receipt of formal complaint on Monday evening, termination on Wednesday morning), one (or both) of two possibilities may have been true:

1) NBC had already initiated an investigation prior to the Monday evening complaint. (They may have been aware of the stories NYT and Variety were working on.)

2) NBC confronted Lauer with the allegations, and he admitted to [some of] them.

Hopefully there was not a rush to judgment without due diligence, as some have speculated. Frankly I doubt there was, as it would expose Comcast/NBC to a wrongful termination lawsuit from Lauer.

A Fox News report stated that there is a photo that exists which, to those that have seen it, is indisputable evidence/proof of improper conduct and that picture, by itself, is clear justification for his immediate dismissal.

How would we feel about as brian williams as today show host, i said i doubt cause of the credibility issues that eould come about after lying issues but hey..

I would love that actually ... If Megan Kelly isn' getting terrible rating at 9 am with the amount of people that hate her, I think that Brian would be great on Today. He is legitimately funny you know.

Lots of NBC high ups are denying they ever knew or heard anything. http://www.adweek.com/tvnewser/more-denials-from-nbc-brass-about-matt-lauer-complaints/350512

That is a lie. They all knew everyone at NBC knew, a lot of people within the Media Industry knew. Just like everyone at CBS and PBS knew about Charlie Rose. Some of them may not have known or heard about Matt Sexual Misconduct behavior but some f them had to at least heard rumors.

The original complaint on Monday Night was made by a Women who said that the first sexual Misconduc incident took place at Sochi Olympics in 2014. At the time Deborah Turness was president of NBC News and Pat Fili-Krushel was Chairmen of NBC Universal New Group. This woman made a complaint at the time in 2014 but was ignored. These two women in charge at the time should be questioned as to why they failed to investigate I think. The person who protected Matt more than anyone was probably Jim Bell former TODAY EP. He likely someone who got One or Two Complaints over the years but ignored them because he was afraid that be end of MAtt Career and then TODAY Show Rating streak would end

NBC News went to great length to protect Matt over the years. He was the most powerful Star at NBC.

It's also well known and been written many times that TODAY Show is very much a boy's club and has been since the days of Bryant Gumbel.

Unlike GMA and CBS This Morning, Today Show is still very much a Boys Club. Maybe that will all change now

Archived