KENV (Elko, NV) Losing Affiliation, Shuttering News Dept.

TheRolyPoly

Sinclair’s new slogan should be,

Where local small town TV stations go to die.

Shame on them.

— Matt

This one is not on Sinclair. Blame NBC, which has decided that protecting Nielsen DMAs is more important than a small-town TV station.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So the 12/14 Elko TV District meeting video is up, and it explains some things. Luckily they had a meeting the same day of the news coming down though they knew for a couple of years apparently, through a friendship with Lori Gilbert, that this was on the horizon. (Lori even appeared at the meeting. That wording suggests a bit of negligence by Sinclair and also of playing out the string of the network affiliation agreement.) KENV discussion starts at 46 minutes in.

KRNV

KRNV is already sent on the microwave system on a backup/placeholder channel (and it was already being fed through to Winnemucca), but another transmitter would be needed to not change service.

A channel 29-31-33 antenna is up there, but a channel 33 license would need to be moved from another site (K33HD in Starr Valley) to Grindstone Mountain. They could file for STA to do that. Equipment has been pulled from Peavey that was used for a redundant CBS feed in preparation for the use of channel 33. If different antenna equipment is used, some fringe areas may get minimal coverage.

KRNV would be a drop-in replacement for KENV from the other sites.

KSL

KSL can be carried if they are forced to. They probably have the receive antenna (on Pequop — if not, it's a quick fix) and definitely have microwave capacity to pipe in KSL. It's definitely the secondary choice — the board and commenters want KRNV generally. KSL has made overtures to get carriage but has not been willing to supply the time, money and effort that Elko TV District would like them to in order to put them on the air in Elko.

Apparently KSL had no idea KENV even existed until the TV District told them so! (Wow!)

They also questioned why Comet when it's already being brought into the market via KJZZ (and there's other subchannel duplication).

As to DMA change, it was brought up that what Reno stations would gain pushing for Elko, they might lose with El Dorado County, CA (Lake Tahoe, yet in Sacramento metro).

[quote name='rkolsen']@Raymie very excellent explanation. Thanks for the updates. It’s fascinatinng updates and see the repeaters and what it takes for rural areas to get TV service up and running.[/QUOTE] The idea of moving channel 33 out of Starr Valley was already being considered because the KOLO translator is affected by repack. Those guys are hurt by repacking. Repacking is already going on at some of the translators in northern Arizona, which are owned by the broadcasters. The moment channel 38 went dark from the Verde Valley, someone (with a fairly strong antenna setup) reported immediately getting the co-channel Phoenix LPTV.

This is what I believe should happen in Elko to continue to receive NBC:

One - Turn KENV into an outright repeater of KRNV with all content originating from Reno/Carson City.

The disaffiliation with NBC kinda prevents that from happening.

Raymie's put it better than I could. This mess isn't on Sinclair. NBC pulled a WHAG/WMGM.

Contrast this to ABC, which has allowed WWSB, WOTV (despite its utter lack of purpose) and NTV to continue on with nary a threat of affiliation yanking in the past decade, at least that we know of.

I take it WZZM completely overlaps it now.

It's very rare for WZZM to air stories for Kalamazoo/Battle Creek unless they were like major breaking news stories... They overlap the southern part of the Traverse City/Cadillac DMA, especially with weather. Was rather irritating when they covered tornado warnings and other big weather events that technically Traverse City/Cadillac could easily cover.

Surprisingly, no. WZZM's signal contour misses Kalamazoo and Battle Creek completely. However, on cable and satellite, viewers get a choice between stations. Most cable companies in the southern part of the market carry WZZM.

You’d think that Sinclair would force out WZZM on those cable systems in favor of their WGTU/WGTQ “29&8.”

By my count, there are at least 4 markets who have 2 ABC affiliates each, not including satellites:

Boston - WCVB & WMUR (Hearst)

Tampa - WFTS & WWSB (Scripps & Raycom)

West Michigan - WZZM & WOTV (Tenga & Nexstar)

Lincoln & Central Nebraska - KLKN & KHGI (Citadel & Sinclair) - Ironically, according to Wikipedia, KLKN began life as a satellite of KHGI before going on its own.

As for CBS, I only count one market with 2 affaliates, not including satellites:

Spokane - KREM & KLEW (Tenga & Sinclair)

We should all wonder who would be the odd man out should ABC & CBS decide to go to the one to a customer format.

Seems like NBC has drawn a hard line against separately-owned sub-market affiliates.

Contrast this to ABC, which has allowed WWSB, WOTV (despite its utter lack of purpose) and NTV to continue on with nary a threat of affiliation yanking in the past decade, at least that we know of.

how do they feel about significantly viewed stations from adjacent markets on cable systems? FOX has protectionist policies against those, this policy knocked WDAF off the Suddenlink system in St Joseph MO when KNPN launched although ABC stations KMBC and KQTV have coexisted on the same system for over 3 decades,

By my count, there are at least 4 markets who have 2 ABC affiliates each, not including satellites:

Boston - WCVB & WMUR (Hearst)

Tampa - WFTS & WWSB (Scripps & Raycom)

West Michigan - WZZM & WOTV (Tenga & Nexstar)

Lincoln & Central Nebraska - KLKN & KHGI (Citadel & Sinclair) - Ironically, according to Wikipedia, KLKN began life as a satellite of KHGI before going on its own.

As for CBS, I only count one market with 2 affaliates, not including satellites:

Spokane - KREM & KLEW (Tenga & Sinclair)

We should all wonder who would be the odd man out should ABC & CBS decide to go to the one to a customer format.

I think it's interesting to look at all of these.

WMUR is extremely secure. Its existence makes more money for Hearst than it would without. It also provides ABC with a leg up on the others networks every four years when New Hampshire is the focus of the political world.

WWSB was almost run out on a rail in 1994-95, when ABC no longer needed an affiliate to fill in coverage gaps on the Suncoast. They managed to convince the network to hang on. Being owned by a larger station group definitely helps them secure their future.

WOTV serves a coverage role. WZZM would need to move its transmitter for ABC to be comfortable dropping WOTV as an affiliate.

KLKN provides some coverage and also provides viewers in Lincoln a choice for news in their sub-area. However, I just can't see Citadel holding on all that long. Sinclair could easily buy KLKN, allowing it to consolidate syndicated programming, and maintain Lincoln news as an opt-out to NTV. The acquisition of KLKN could also finally rationalize that DMA, which has long been in need of a redraw.

KLEW is the only secondary affiliate in CBS, but it must work for someone. There's quite a distance between them and KREM. However, this has long been a region of the country where the use of semi-satellites produces results more akin to regional opt-outs of a larger network. The Yakima/Tri-Cities operations in their structure resemble the old Central News East/West (yes, an ITV comparison) more than they do many US services.

The disaffiliation with NBC kinda prevents that from happening.

Raymie's put it better than I could. This mess isn't on Sinclair. NBC pulled a WHAG/WMGM.

I think NBC didn’t necessarily want to remove an affiliation from an area that can’t receive it but rather they didn’t want to deal with a small secondary station that provided minimal news. For all we know Sinclair could have pushed NBC to pull the affiliation. I imagine if they turned it into a satellite station or semi satellite with local ads they would be okay with it. Maybe they could have the majority of the newscasts originate from Reno but say have a local half hour newscast.

I think NBC didn’t necessarily want to remove an affiliation from an area that can’t receive it but rather they didn’t want to deal with a small secondary station that provided minimal news. For all we know Sinclair could have pushed NBC to pull the affiliation. I imagine if they turned it into a satellite station or semi satellite with local ads they would be okay with it. Maybe they could have the majority of the newscasts originate from Reno but say have a local half hour newscast.

With the exception of the morning hour and a handful of other efforts, that's what KENV was. All the other newscasts came from Reno.

I know that nobody here likes Sinclair, but blaming them for this is ridiculous. They don’t own the station itself and it's extremely extremely unlikely that they would negotiate an affiliation agreement on behalf of the owners. Could you imagine being the owner of this station and getting that call? "Yes, hello, this is Sinclair... About your NBC affiliation... Yeah, we told 'em we don't want it anymore!"

This was on NBC and is just this year's WMGM/WHAG. Funny how everyone was mad at NBC for those... But as soon as it happens to a station Sinclair managaes it's all THEIR fault.

I know that nobody here likes Sinclair, but blaming them for this is ridiculous. They don’t own the station itself and it's extremely extremely unlikely that they would negotiate an affiliation agreement on behalf of the owners. Could you imagine being the owner of this station and getting that call? "Yes, hello, this is Sinclair... About your NBC affiliation... Yeah, we told 'em we don't want it anymore!"

This was on NBC and is just this year's WMGM/WHAG. Funny how everyone was mad at NBC for those... But as soon as it happens to a station Sinclair managaes it's all THEIR fault.

Ya know what Weeters??

You are right!

Christmas is for giving...and forgiving.

I forgive Sinclair and Boris the Scrooge.

And here is something for you Weeters....a few of us chipped in and bought you this nice Christmas Goose.

Merry Christmas and happy holidays....now eat some holiday news!

weetersgoose.jpg.2e83e9fd0a63b7b5f55a4128836cbfe8.jpg

Sinclair was in the process of "buying" the station through Cunningham and is part of the SSA that Cunningham has with KRXI (Sinclair) to manage KRNV. It took years for the FCC to get that application approved. I believe the name on the license is supposed to change to Reno (KENV-TV) Licensee, LLC.

I think it's interesting to look at all of these.

WMUR is extremely secure. Its existence makes more money for Hearst than it would without. It also provides ABC with a leg up on the others networks every four years when New Hampshire is the focus of the political world.

WWSB was almost run out on a rail in 1994-95, when ABC no longer needed an affiliate to fill in coverage gaps on the Suncoast. They managed to convince the network to hang on. Being owned by a larger station group definitely helps them secure their future.

WOTV serves a coverage role. WZZM would need to move its transmitter for ABC to be comfortable dropping WOTV as an affiliate.

KLKN provides some coverage and also provides viewers in Lincoln a choice for news in their sub-area. However, I just can't see Citadel holding on all that long. Sinclair could easily buy KLKN, allowing it to consolidate syndicated programming, and maintain Lincoln news as an opt-out to NTV. The acquisition of KLKN could also finally rationalize that DMA, which has long been in need of a redraw.

KLEW is the only secondary affiliate in CBS, but it must work for someone. There's quite a distance between them and KREM. However, this has long been a region of the country where the use of semi-satellites produces results more akin to regional opt-outs of a larger network. The Yakima/Tri-Cities operations in their structure resemble the old Central News East/West (yes, an ITV comparison) more than they do many US services.

I strongly agree as WMUR is New Hampshire centric while WCVB serves the Massachusetts side of the Boston market.

WWSB & WOTV were needed as fillers during analog as WTSP & WZZM had to place their transmitters away from the central location as they were short spaced with nearby stations on the same channel. During the digital transition, WZZM remained in their original location and did not move closer to where the other stations transmit in West Michigan.

To me, Central Nebraska may be in a unique situation for Sinclair as their station in Lincoln, KFXL, has been off the air since October 20 when their tower collapsed. At this time, there's no timetable as to when repairs will be completed. If I were Sinclair, I would try to purchase KLKN and move the KHGI and KFXL signals to RF 8.

This. 100% this.

I find it absolutely improbable to believe Sinclair wanted to effectively shut down KENV like this. If anything, they would have dropped the smattering of local newscasts, and made it a full-time repeater of KRNV.

To me, Central Nebraska may be in a unique situation for Sinclair as their station in Lincoln, KFXL, has been off the air since October 20 when their tower collapsed. At this time, there's no timetable as to when repairs will be completed. If I were Sinclair, I would try to purchase KLKN and move the KHGI and KFXL signals to RF 8.

I had no idea about that tower collapse. Yikes. Apparently KFXL's tower, which they leased space on, collapsed and crushed the KSNB transmitter building at the site.

Back to Elko, there is a certain irony in the list of significantly viewed stations for Elko County, NV (p. 261): KSL, KBOI, KTVB and KOLO. (That list is a disaster and a graveyard of dead stations, channel numbers and callsigns, but there's enough info for another thread.)

KENV's final News 10 Today airs tomorrow morning.

Would an affiliation agreement needed if the stations turned into a full time repeater in market?

The main issue here is that Elko is not in the Reno DMA. If it were, I think it would be covered by the affiliation agreement with the parent and indeed it is.

I think a good example would be one of the three full-power KWCH satellites. These used to have local insertion capabilities and produced full newscasts and opt-outs, but they are in the same DMA. Unfortunately, the contracts themselves are not available.

Full-time satellites, such as KWNB and the low-power transmitters that also relay KHGI, are simply incorporated into the same affiliation agreement.

I think it's worth noting that IWCC had an unusually long-term affiliation agreement with NBC — 17 years. The affiliation agreement that ends on New Year's Eve came into force on January 1, 2001. This affiliation agreement covered all of IWCC's NBC affiliates, including its semi- and full satellites. (KENV and KBGF-LD are the last of these stations to be operating, but at least KBGF had its own DMA.)

In that time, not only was IWCC broken up (and its principal died), but so too NBC was sold. (Not to mention all sorts of technological change.) There were two amendments to this affiliation agreement, which consisted of a 28% reduction in affiliation fee in 2012, and the removal of the stations that IWCC shed in 2013.

It was the length of the agreement — when will you ever see a network sign a 17-year affiliation contract with anyone again (Entravision had a 25-year deal with Univision but that is just not comparable)— that permitted KENV to be stable. By comparison, KSL's current agreement started on January 1, 2012.

The Elko TV district people asked if the abolition of the main studio rule had something to do with it. Nope. It was simply the end of IWCC as we knew it. Sinclair is a large operator and owns quite a few NBC affiliates. However, current network management does not want NBC programming to be duplicated in any market.

KENV's final News 10 Today airs tomorrow morning.

That should be an uplifting show...

The lead story will be the tax cuts and the projected impact on the local Elko economy and those who will prosper...

The second story will be about the news folks that will be without jobs tomorrow.

Merry Christmas Elko.

Archived