The Tribune Saga, Part 3: New Sale Talks

mre29

This is WORSE than Sinclair. Just when we thought we could breathe a sigh of relief, we have to hold our breaths again. Disgusting.

Trust me, I don't think you can get worse than Sinclair. To be fair, no one remembers the LIN stations preempting Nightline because of it not aligning with someone's views.

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Trust me, I don't think you can get worse than Sinclair. To be fair, no one remembers the LIN stations preempting Nightline because of it not aligning with someone's views.

This. Also, we don’t know how Hicks Jr. will run the stations, should he prevail.

LIN also never mandated content of any kind to run during newscasts.

This is WORSE than Sinclair. Just when we thought we could breathe a sigh of relief, we have to hold our breaths again. Disgusting.

Ehh, it's worse because no matter how much their dumb family screwed up Clear Channel and messed up Liverpool to the point they're now finally competitve again eight years after they sold them off in a fan revolt (and basically turned the budding Dallas Stars into 'eh, another mediocre southern hockey team'), we can't get rid of these idiots. I could care less about their politics (dumb VCs always=dumb politics), but that Hicks' son has learned literally nothing from Daddy's mistakes at all.

Ehh, it's worse because no matter how much their dumb family screwed up Clear Channel and messed up Liverpool to the point they're now finally competitve again eight years after they sold them off in a fan revolt (and basically turned the budding Dallas Stars into 'eh, another mediocre southern hockey team'), we can't get rid of these idiots. I could care less about their politics (dumb VCs always=dumb politics), but that Hicks' son has learned literally nothing from Daddy's mistakes at all.

Also, don't forget that he owned the Texas Rangers in which the team went Bankrupt before being sold to a group that originally included former Rangers Pitcher Nolan Ryan

As for the group that's going to bid on Tribune, I'll withhold my judgment on the group until I see them be successful at acquiring Tribune, gets through the regulatory process and actually runs the stations

Tribune needs to stop selling themselves! I swear.

Why does Tribune insist on selling instead of being a buyer after what they went through with Sinclair? And please give me a reason other than they want to get out of the broadcasting business because there's something to it that's more than just "wanting to exit the Television business"

The cap, the cap, the cap. Without the discount they're at 44% national coverage. They are over the cap, and now is a good time for them to bail. The organization has been rudderless for years.

That doesn't answer the question of why they seem determined to sell in one transaction.

That doesn't answer the question of why they seem determined to sell in one transaction.

Because the stockholders will cheer...and so will the Fed's since there will be little or no regulatory issues. They can get it done and over in just 3 or 4 months.

Because the stockholders will cheer...and so will the Fed's since there will be little or no regulatory issues. They can get it done and over in just 3 or 4 months.

But to sell to any existing group would mean that there would be a lot of forced divestitures. No one has anything even close to a clean deal here.

But to sell to any existing group would mean that there would be a lot of forced divestitures. No one has anything even close to a clean deal here.

And that's not even including the private-equity groups that have expressed interest in acquiring Tribune

So, Tribune gets it over and done with in one transaction, and the burden of divesting is on the buyer.

Never mind that Tribune's shareholders would likely make more from the stations being sold individually than they would from a single transaction (where the buyer may get a bulk discount).

So, Tribune gets it over and done with in one transaction, and the burden of divesting is on the buyer.

Never mind that Tribune's shareholders would likely make more from the stations being sold individually than they would from a single transaction (where the buyer may get a bulk discount).

Apparently, Tribune's shareholders doesn't want the company to go piecemeal, they want it all sold to one owner

I see this going to a private equity owner. Tribune will remain Tribune just under a new owner and certainly major management changes.

I see this going to a private equity owner. Tribune will remain Tribune just under a new owner and certainly major management changes.

And probably a lighter version of Tribune too. I expect Fox to come calling for the same stations they tried to buy before the Sinclair deal collapsed except, they may include a few more stations that weren't included in the Sinclair/Fox deal (i.e WPHL, possibly WXIN, and WITI)

And probably a lighter version of Tribune too. I expect Fox to come calling for the same stations they tried to buy before the Sinclair deal collapsed except, they may include a few more stations that weren't included in the Sinclair/Fox deal (i.e WPHL, possibly WXIN, and WITI)

They won't sell anything. Hicks will want the group to grow and will be a buyer. At some point soon, the caps are going to be loosened up. That's the only reason Cerberus & Hicks would be getting into the broadcasting business again.

They won't sell anything. Hicks will want the group to grow and will be a buyer. At some point soon, the caps are going to be loosened up. That's the only reason Cerberus & Hicks would be getting into the broadcasting business again.

So in other words, Fox won't get a single thing out of Tribune, not even a single Tribune station??? Ok then...

Any of these hedge fund owners are just going to turn cash quickly and sell them again within a few years.

You know who really wants a Tom Hicks hedge fund buyout of Tribune to go through? This guy.

220px-Rupert_Murdoch_-_Flickr_-_Eva_Rinaldi_Celebrity_and_Live_Music_Photographer.jpg

Fox stands to be at a better position getting all the stations they want, with a hedge fund buyer with no other investments keeping all the rest. It’s the only possible scenario with a truly clean outcome that’s in Fox’s favor.

Archived