Eight CBS Stations to Ditch CW and Go Independent This Fall

AKA

14 hours ago, Rusty Muck said:

With the logo that looked like it was made in PowerPoint? Cox never wanted to be in Boston in the first place, mismanaged the station to the point WHDH clobbers them routinely, and Apollo has disinvested in it even further. It's a lost cause.

Even the Boston Celtics cared for the station more. 

Also, why did Fox even sell off WFXT, just to get KTVU? They could've owned KTVU and KICU.... and have the Boston station as well.

It's like how Fox regained WITI in 2020. Like I know they wanted to aquire KCPQ.

8 minutes ago, mer764KCTV5 said:

Even the Boston Celtics cared for the station more. 

Also, why did Fox even sell off WFXT, just to get KTVU? They could've owned KTVU and KICU.... and have the Boston station as well.

It's like how Fox regained WITI in 2020. Like I know they wanted to aquire KCPQ.

Even thought the Patriots have ended up playing in quite the number of Super Bowls on Fox, KTVU aired more regular season Niner games than Patriot games on WFXT.

• Like 4

On 6/13/2024 at 9:51 PM, Rusty Muck said:

With the logo that looked like it was made in PowerPoint? Cox never wanted to be in Boston in the first place, mismanaged the station to the point WHDH clobbers them routinely, and Apollo has disinvested in it even further. It's a lost cause.

I'm surprised Cox didn't unload it once the whole Standard-Tegna deal imploded.

On 6/17/2024 at 6:08 PM, mre29 said:

I'm surprised Cox didn't unload it once the whole Standard-Tegna deal imploded.

Apollo Global Management's eviceration of Cox Media is probably delayed because no buyers exist for that station.

Edited by Rusty Muck

1 hour ago, mer764KCTV5 said:

On the topic of WFXT, why the Massachusetts did Fox not buy the station again, for the third time? Either they are literally hyper-focused on what their doing or little-focused on their stations.

Not an NFC market. Also, Fox had to give it up to meet Cox's price tag for KTVU.

6 minutes ago, Georgie56 said:

Not an NFC market. Also, Fox had to give it up to meet Cox's price tag for KTVU.

Oh, so the Patriots don't exist in Massachusetts? Oh that's cool.

Also, not related to anyone's comment, if For was concerned, I feel like they in 2016 would probably asked WHDH-TV7 for the Fox Affiliation, but nope.

And that's why WFXT is in this mess.

7 minutes ago, mer764KCTV5 said:

Oh, so the Patriots don't exist in Massachusetts? Oh that's cool.

I think you misunderstood. Fox’s strategy was to own the Fox station in every NFC market. The Patriots are an AFC team. Fox holds the rights primarily to the NFC. It made having a station in SF more attractive than in Boston. It’s about keeping the advertising $$$ for themselves. 

Edited by NowBergen
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, NowBergen said:

I think you misunderstood. Fox’s strategy was to own the Fox station in every NFC market. The Patriots are an AFC team. Fox holds the rights primarily to the NFC. It made having a station in SF more attractive than in Boston. It’s about keeping the advertising $$$ for themselves. 

Hence why Fox dumped WJW (Browns), WDAF (Chiefs), KDVR (Broncos), KTVI (Rams at the time), WITI (distant market for the Packers)  as well as non-NFL markets like Salt Lake City, Greensboro and Birmingham. 

The only reason Memphis was kept was likely LocalTV's desire not to re-sell WREG to another owner, so Fox kept Memphis until the KTVU/WFXT swap and Cox got WHBQ as a consolation prize.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, tyrannical bastard said:

Hence why Fox dumped WJW (Browns), WDAF (Chiefs), KDVR (Broncos), KTVI (Rams at the time), WITI (distant market for the Packers)  as well as non-NFL markets like Salt Lake City, Greensboro and Birmingham. 

The only reason Memphis was kept was likely LocalTV's desire not to re-sell WREG to another owner, so Fox kept Memphis until the KTVU/WFXT swap and Cox got WHBQ as a consolation prize.

Isn't the Packers part of the NFC?

53 minutes ago, mer764KCTV5 said:

Isn't the Packers part of the NFC?

Yes, hence why Fox re-acquired WITI - part of a deal to get KCPQ/KZJO (Seahawks) - twelve years after offloading it to a private equity group in 2007. They did have to sacrifice another NFC market in Charlotte (WJZY/WMYT) to make it happen though.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TennTV1983 said:

Yes, hence why Fox re-acquired WITI - part of a deal to get KCPQ/KZJO (Seahawks) - twelve years after offloading it to a private equity group in 2007. They did have to sacrifice another NFC market in Charlotte (WJZY/WMYT) to make it happen though.

Fox did such a poor job in Charlotte with "Fox Carolinas", "Fox 46" and whatever else....that trading for Seattle and Milwaukee was almost a certainty.  Besides the Panthers have had a rough time in the NFC.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

Fox did such a poor job in Charlotte with "Fox Carolinas", "Fox 46" and whatever else....that trading for Seattle and Milwaukee was almost a certainty.  Besides the Panthers have had a rough time in the NFC.

Almost like the trade was a part of the plan all along. I really believe they used WJZY as a guinea pig with the Hey, Hey Carolinas and  never intended to keep the stations long term.

Your second statement….the Panthers were actually playing better when FTS owned them. The Rivera/Kuechly/Cam years were under FTS ownership. Almost like they wanted to build up the team. Now obviously the sale of the station had nothing to do with the ownership change. But the sale to Tepper and the culture changed for the worse right about the time Nexstar bought the stations. So I guess you could say FTS made a good decision when it comes to NFC markets.

WJZY has come out all right under Nexstar but the Panthers under Tepper…not so much.

Edited by Nelson R.
  • Like 1

On 6/22/2024 at 12:24 AM, mer764KCTV5 said:

Greensboro

Greensboro is a secondary NFC market just like WITI and KTBC, and WOFL I assume its because it was a small market.

On 6/22/2024 at 12:12 AM, tyrannical bastard said:

KTVI (Rams at the time)

They were NFC at the time, still are. Before relocation back to LA, I think it was about small markets. 

Keep in mind NOLA is a NFC market, They never got WVUE, and honestly they could get WLUK in Green Bay. But I assume they're small markets.

Edited by GraphicsMan

1 hour ago, GraphicsMan said:

Keep in mind NOLA is a NFC market, They never got WVUE, and honestly they could get WLUK in Green Bay. But I assume they're small markets.

Both are the top 75 largest markets, that's medium sized.

I mean, Fox aquired WOGX in Ocala—Gainesville, Florida (The 162-largest TV market) when the Meredith Corporation sold off that station as well as WOFL when Meredith aquired KPTV from Fox.

Plus, Fox owned a share in SF Broadcasting so they could've aquired all of SF Broadcasting if Silver King Broadcasting didn't aquire SF and if NBC didn't mostly filed an petition with the FCC over foreign ownership of their affiliate in Green Bay, WLUK.

"Deadline hears bankers are also assessing a group of non CBS-affiliated television stations that are not core to the broadcast business. Paramount owns 13 TV stations not affiliated with CBS."

https://deadline.com/2024/06/paramount-asset-sales-chatter-around-sale-leaseback-hollywood-lot-1235983020/