Meet the Press and David Gregory

MidwestTV

NBC News has apparently hired a psychological consultant regarding David Gregory. The article talks about MTP's recent ratings struggles and if David Gregory's job is in trouble.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/as-meet-the-press-struggles-in-the-ratings-plenty-of-questions-for-host-david-gregory/2014/04/20/247ed4c0-c72f-11e3-bf7a-be01a9b69cf1_story.html?hpid=z5

I thoroughly enjoy the big three Sunday morning programs and of course Gregory is not Tim Russert but he's also not bad. I don't watch MTP as often so maybe I'm not seeing what's so bad about David Gregory's moderating skills.

I thoroughly enjoy the big three Sunday morning programs and of course Gregory is not Tim Russert but he's also not bad. I don't watch MTP as often so maybe I'm not seeing what's so bad about David Gregory's moderating skills.

The death of Tim Russert or any host would do damage to a show. I also think one of the problems is some of the regular panelists that seem to be on weekly may be getting complacent. NBC, CNBC and MSNBC have a wide variety of contributors that they employ and could but it seems like they always use the same 10 or so that have been with the show for years. One thing they would have to do is get some from the right side of the political spectrum as most MSNBC contributors are liberal to even the playing field.

If they got rid of David Gregory I would go replace him with Savannah Guthrie and have them set up a deal like ABC has with George Stephanopoulos. She is much better suited to host a show like this and when she has filled in there's been a ratings bump (it reminds me of when she first came to NBC and co hosted The Daily Rundown on MSNBC with Chuck Todd.)

I've always thought that part of "Meet the Press"'s ratings problems might be related (at least to a point) to its time slot. While not the case in New York City or Washington, D.C., in many markets, MTP either goes head-to-head with or starts during the last 30 minutes of "CBS Sunday Morning," which I understand is the highest-rated Sunday network show, period.

I like "Meet the Press," but I don't watch it because it starts locally at 9AM CT, and I'm already watching "Sunday Morning," which starts at 8AM CT. Since I'm already watching CBS, I stay there for "Face the Nation" at 9:30AM CT. If MTP started at 9:30 locally, I might be inclined, at least on occasion, to switch over to the NBC affiliate after "Sunday Morning."

I've always thought that part of "Meet the Press"'s ratings problems might be related (at least to a point) to its time slot. While not the case in New York City or Washington, D.C., in many markets, MTP either goes head-to-head with or starts during the last 30 minutes of "CBS Sunday Morning," which I understand is the highest-rated Sunday network show, period.

I like "Meet the Press," but I don't watch it because it starts locally at 9AM CT, and I'm already watching "Sunday Morning," which starts at 8AM CT. Since I'm already watching CBS, I stay there for "Face the Nation" at 9:30AM CT. If MTP started at 9:30 locally, I might be inclined, at least on occasion, to switch over to the NBC affiliate after "Sunday Morning."

spot on SteveRichards

• 3 months later...

Reports have David gone following the mid term elections.

http://www.tvnewsinsider.com/23513

Frankly, they need to do something. CBS continues to win in viewers and ABC in the demo. MTP continues to be in 3rd across the board.

Indeed, but it'll be tough for NBC to try and regain viewers in this case even if they replace David Gregory with Chuck Todd. There aren't too many options available.

Chuck Todd? Oh I really hope not. The show would suffer even more then. Guthrie? Lol, that won't happen. Even if she really was in for consideration, she would be WAY too weak/soft to host the show. Ann Curry comes to mind, but she's not a political woman. Joe Scarborough? Well it would give Republicans one less thing to accuse NBC of having a liberal bias for.

MTP/NBC is in a really tough spot here. There doesn't appear to be anyone good enough to succeed David.

I wonder if they'd give Ted Koppel a call. I remember his name getting thrown around when Amanpour was dumped from This Week, and since he was last working for the peacock on Rock Center, why not? Yes, age isn't on his side, but Bob is still chugging along.

Chuck Todd? Oh I really hope not. The show would suffer even more then. Guthrie? Lol, that won't happen. Even if she really was in for consideration, she would be WAY too weak/soft to host the show. Ann Curry comes to mind, but she's not a political woman. Joe Scarborough? Well it would give Republicans one less thing to accuse NBC of having a liberal bias for.

MTP/NBC is in a really tough spot here. There doesn't appear to be anyone good enough to succeed David.

the only reason why I mentioned Savannah is that in the past few times she has guest hosted MTP there was a ratings bump. She has experience being tough on politicians from her days co-hosting The Daily Rundown.

As for Mika and Joe, I like watching them on Morning Joe but think they would ruin Meet the Press each with their political biases. I think Joe would have difficulty not yelling over his guests, speaking his partisan tone, and saying "In my day" or the like referring 3 term congressional career that ended with a dead staffer where it was rumored he had an affair with. Meanwhile Mika has a partisan tone but she is much more subtle about it. I read on MediaIte someone made a point that Joe and Mika are in love with being on TV and love having political / celebrity friends that come with it. An example was given during a Politico hosted talk they just called up Chris Christie to say Hi - you would never see David Gregory, Bob Schieffer, or George Stephanopoulis do that and they would keep what ever friendships private.

I think NBC needs to look outside of the network.

Here's another big question, what in the hell happens to David Gregory once he's done?

Well he's for sure not staying at NBC News. I wouldn't be shocked if he headed over to CNN; Zucker was always very big on him.

I wonder if they'd give Ted Koppel a call. I remember his name getting thrown around when Amanpour was dumped from This Week, and since he was last working for the peacock on Rock Center, why not? Yes, age isn't on his side, but Bob is still chugging along.

If they were thinking of going older, maybe Tom Brokaw. Even as interim I think he'd be the right person to get it back on track.

If they were thinking of going older, maybe Tom Brokaw. Even as interim I think he'd be the right person to get it back on track.

Not to be mean, but the sharpness in presentation of Tom in 2014 is a far cry from the Tom of 2004. I don't know how his health is doing since his diagnosis, but I've been under the impression that he's retired to Montana (out that way, anyway), and only comes in for special projects/events. And when he does, I'm guessing DC isn't usually on the travel log, instead going to New York. On a temporary basis, it's possible, but a month or two probably wouldn't cut it, considering the overhaul the show needs.

ABC has successfully pulled off a New York-based program under George (it reflects the direction of the program going from straight politics to more current affairs), but I don't see that working with MTP.

I think they also should bring Betsy Martin back as EP, the show (& it's ratings) has really gone down hill since she left her post a year ago. She left to become the Senior Executive Producer & Managing Editor for all of NBC News' operations. I may be a bit biased since I occasionally talk to her on twitter and for some reason she followed me back.

As for Tom Brokaw - I would think they would use him only as a short term successor. He did good in the months at the helm after Tim Russert died.

Well that's not good...Fox News Sunday topped Meet the Press for the first time in 7 years in Washington D.C. Now while some of the Sunday shows perform better in some markets than others, obviously, coming in behind Fox News Sunday for the first time in 7 years in Washington D.C., where Meet the Press is based, is certainly not anything good. It may only add to the case against Gregory...

Archived