New ABC O&O Websites

BehindNYNews

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I still like they outgoing layout more than any other station group sites, but this is very well-done. It definitely uses the ABC News website as its inspiration (if not it's direct structure), and that's not at all a bad thing.

Why does that look reminiscent of the Scripps design from earlier this year? Most things look pretty much laid out the same way from what I can tell. :huh: It can't just be because it's responsive can it?

Oh, wow. That looks FANTASTIC.

Also, look at the URL! abclocal.go.com is GONE! :awesome:

border-box sizing. fonts in ems. REALLY well-planned and well-executed responsive design.

SOMEBODY FINALLY GETS IT.

wral.com is pretty good, too.

It's a much needed improvement over their previous websites which look like they might of been high tech in the late '90s. And it's a much needed start for ABC and Disney to finally get off the failed Go.com web portal/sub domain (but then again NBCNews.com still has many pages that are on an msnbc.msn.com sub domain but MSN.com was a more successful portal.) For some reason this design reminds me of the current websites of NBC O&O with just a white background.

This is a mostly good design. My only complaint is that there is not any dead space on the sides so it makes it look cluttered. If they added some dead space to the sides (like this webpage you're on now), it would look so much better.

This is a mostly good design. My only complaint is that there is not any dead space on the sides so it makes it look cluttered. If they added some dead space to the sides (like this webpage you're on now), it would look so much better.

I disagree. I think it looks much better full screen rather than with dead screen. I don't think it looks cluttered at all.

I disagree. I think it looks much better full screen rather than with dead screen. I don't think it looks cluttered at all.

You're probably viewing it on your phone or I-Pad. In that instance it looks great. But on a full screen computer, no. Needs to be some dead space. Otherwise it would be perfect.

You're probably viewing it on your phone or I-Pad. In that instance it looks great. But on a full screen computer, no. Needs to be some dead space. Otherwise it would be perfect.

I've actually looked at it from all 3.. :D seriously though, we can agree to disagree but I like the fact that they have removed the dead space.

I think CBS Local Media could learn a thing or two from ABC. ABC did a fantastic job with these sites.

I agree, CBS Local's o&o sites are very weird and the light blues just don't work. They really need an upgrade. WCBS' website's logo is pitiful, the actual gold CBS 2 Logo that is used on air is almost no where to be found. But back to ABC, to respond to sanewsguy, having dead space at the ends would look weird. It works fine with the old websites but it would look weird with the new design. Just my honest opinion.

On a somewhat unrelated note, I notice that when I view the "abclocal.go.com" website, the CBS eye pops up in the preview icon in the tab and I'm using google chrome as my browser. Does anybody else notice this or is this my computer thinking ABC is CBS? And then afterwards, when I view WABC's main page, the ABC logo is back. This is probably a stupid question, but I was just wondering if anyone else has this.

The comments on that page are amusing. "Wral screwed up their website! I hope wtvd's will be better!!!"

I actually agree with those comments. WRAL half-assed their new site. The KGO one is far superior to that. I guess I'll just have to get used to it with out the dead spaces. May have to change the size of the window to give it some "cushion" so it's not filling the entire screen. Talk about overload...

I actually agree with those comments. WRAL half-assed their new site. The KGO one is far superior to that. I guess I'll just have to get used to it with out the dead spaces. May have to change the size of the window to give it some "cushion" so it's not filling the entire screen. Talk about overload...

I'm curious as to what makes you say they half-assed their site. Layout? Colors? Fonts and font sizes?

Archived