It's Official Lester Holt to NN - Brian Williams to MSNBC

rkolsen

MSNBC is a dead brand already. Andy Lack didn't move BW to save the brand. NBC didn't want to payout the BW contract and you can bet there is a complete rebrand of the soon to be former MSNBC. Microsoft bailed a few years ago so the "M" is questionable.

What the rebrand will be is anybodys guess.....

How about they just go all "out" with....

NBCGLBT-HD

The first gay cable tv news network......in Hi-Def

Maybe some of you graphic fanboys wanna whip up a few graphics???

I can't wait to see Ru Paul interview Rand Paul.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

MSNBC is a dead brand already. Andy Lack didn't move BW to save the brand. NBC didn't want to payout the BW contract and you can bet there is a complete rebrand of the soon to be former MSNBC. Microsoft bailed a few years ago so the "M" is questionable.

What the rebrand will be is anybody's guess.....

How about they just go all "out" with....

NBCGLBT-HD

Yeah...uhh, no. I got an idea. How about taking digital network Shift and expand it into a cable network?

...or at least take the name for the rebrand?

A NY Times columnist made a good point this weekend: by placing BW on MSNBC, does that mean that MSNBC's journalistic standards are different than NBC. They are both NBC News. It seems like a knock on MSNBC that they get NBC's very sloppy seconds.

A NY Times columnist made a good point this weekend: by placing BW on MSNBC, does that mean that MSNBC's journalistic standards are different than NBC. They are both NBC News. It seems like a knock on MSNBC that they get NBC's very sloppy seconds.

NBC goes to great pains to tell its affiliates "MSNBC? Yeah we don't know those clowns". So they aren't so "both NBC News" as it might seem at first glance.

Just rebrand to NBC News. Use NBC News across all platforms.

Simple and very cost effective.

There is NO need to keep "MS" in the NBC.

As for Williams???

He will atone for his sins during the big re-launch of NBC News (cable) and he along with Lester will be the new Huntley and Brinkley.

Post MSNBC....

Richard Maddow will go to FOX.

While I'm sure there are many on the right that think of NBC News as a conduit for leftist propaganda, not news, I don't think that NBC really wants to foster that impression by tying the NBC News brand to the opinion-based programming that makes up much of the programming schedule on MSNBC.

They'd be better off developing an entirely new brand that doesn't incorporate the NBC name.... or going with the NBC News brand and blowing up the entire programming schedule.

Post MSNBC....

"Richard" Maddow? Unless that's a weird auto-correct, that's rather uncalled for.

Figured this should be placed here given this has to do with Lester taking over Nightly. Lester showed up and they did a send off for him.

Also during the opening credits no names appeared and the announcer just said "From NBC News this is Today live from a Studio 1A in Rockefeller Plazza.

As for Williams???

He will atone for his sins during the big re-launch of NBC News (cable) and he along with Lester will be the new Huntley and Brinkley.

Post MSNBC....

I'm really hoping this guy will apologize for this statement. Highly offensive.

NBCGLBT-HD

I don't care if politics come into play here on the board. Hell I've made it clear on many occasions that I'm a democrat. But when you start making fun of some based on their appearance, sexuality and life style you crossed a line. You could have made your opinions known with out resorting to homophobic and bigoted remarks.

Ignoring the previous comments and steering it back on topic...

I wouldn't be surprised if the only changes to NN were to the VO (Michael Douglas just sounded out of place) and a tweak to the presentation style of the rundown at the top of the show. That doesn't mean further changes would be made before the year is up, though.

NBC goes to great pains to tell its affiliates "MSNBC? Yeah we don't know those clowns". So they aren't so "both NBC News" as it might seem at first glance.

Regardless of how NBC makes it come off, the two are highly connected to each other. They share correspondents, a newsroom and heck they used to share a website up till last year under the MSNBC moniker.

Someone who doesn't have the insight or understanding of the differences between the to networks like many on here do would be at a loss to see any difference between the two. If NBC deemed Brian to unreliable or truthful to be on their newscasts, why should MSNBC be any different?

Anyway, Lester has officially taken over so i guess we can let the BW story behind us.. that is until he returns in August.

Regardless of how NBC makes it come off, the two are highly connected to each other. They share correspondents, a newsroom and heck they used to share a website up till last year under the MSNBC moniker.

Someone who doesn't have the insight or understanding of the differences between the to networks like many on here do would be at a loss to see any difference between the two. If NBC deemed Brian to unreliable or truthful to be on their newscasts, why should MSNBC be any different?

Anyway, Lester has officially taken over so i guess we can let the BW story behind us.. that is until he returns in August.

I doubt he'd return to the big chair. Everybody now is saying "good they demoted Brian and he deserved it". Put him in the chair again and you'll stir that storm right back up.

That's what we were told at WDIV when the Ferguson no charges decision was pending. MSNBC was reporting things that NBC would not confirm or back them up on. They distanced themselves from the cable channel and did so firmly. So NBC didn't make it come off that way... There's some actual animosity there. It seems like the people at NBC find MSNBC to be an embarrassment.

It's all about the money now. NBCU/Comcast just blew millions and millions of dollars on the failed TWC merger. Nobody is going to be tossing cash around for complete re-brands when the idea is brand synergy. If they had money to burn for this project they would have payed out Williams and moved on.

MSNBC is still making money...but it's far from the network mandated performance goals.

That's what we were told at WDIV when the Ferguson no charges decision was pending. MSNBC was reporting things that NBC would not confirm or back them up on. They distanced themselves from the cable channel and did so firmly. So NBC didn't make it come off that way... There's some actual animosity there. It seems like the people at NBC find MSNBC to be an embarrassment.

That makes sense msnbc is an opinion channel that draws upon NBC News. There are only a handful of program at msnbc that don't generally show bias from their hosts. The only shows I'd consider as news programs (that may have bias by guests but not hosts) are First Look, The Rundown Jose Diaz-Balart, News Nation w/ Tamron Hall and Andrea Mitchell Reports. Even though they are trying to make MSNBC Live w/ Thomas Roberts a straight news show he ends up giving his opinion often. That being said the other shows can manage to separate opinions from other segments such as investigations and some interviews on Rachel Maddow.

• 6 months later...

We can say that Lester did a full year as evening news host and he deserves an A+++ for the class he has shown throughout the whole Williams circus.

He is solid and brings weight to the show with his experience and likability. NBC made the right decision in a long long long long long time!

We can say that Lester did a full year as evening news host and he deserves an A+++ for the class he has shown throughout the whole Williams circus.

He is solid and brings weight to the show with his experience and likability. NBC made the right decision in a long long long long long time!

Are you trying to set a record for bumping the most old threads in a short period of time?

I am not offending anyone, and plus I am new here and catching up on what has happened this year. Please leave it alone.

No. There are actually rules here, and posting on a bunch of dormant threads is frowned upon.

Time to brush up... http://forums.tvnewstalk.net/index.php?threads/tvnewstalk-net-community-guidelines-and-terms.6219/

Archived