Boston TV crisis: WHDH and WNEU

TheRolyPoly

Also, OTA, WNEU (Soon to be NBC Boston) is on channel 60, it's on channel 19 on Comcast. I can guarantee that they're going to at the very least try and move that channel up closer to the other local channels come time to launch. So, it makes zero sense to brand the station with a number, when that number varies across different platforms.

My spies say it's going to be called "NBC BeanTown".

Disclaimer: My spies took the buyouts from the former Soviet Union in the late 80's

• Replies 979
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And NBC's best bet is to negotiate something, and if that means also buying WLVI, well, hey, they'll have a better signal for Telemundo and can sell WNEU. Win!

At this point, despite the current fate of both stations as likely independents, Ed still has a major advantage - two full-power, full-market OTA signals. He can dictate the terms of a sale if he wants, and wasn't going to sell at the lowball offer Comcast threw at him.

I wouldn't necessarily be shocked to see NBC cave at the very last minute and overpay immensely for both stations. WNEU as "NBC Boston" will be a laughingstock of the entire industry with hatch marks for ratings and a ratings/revenue disaster for the network. Comcast brass would be fools not to realize that.

Any public statements made by Comcast and Sunbeam are all a game of measuring one's... ummm... lower appendages.

I got a better idea for NBC: Buy WCVB from Hearst.

WCVB has a pretty good transmitter that covers all of Southern Massachusetts than WNEU, and besides that, it's on a lower channel position than WNEU and WLVI. I'm pretty sure Ed can make deals with ABC to affiliate WHDH, and CBS to take WLVI's affiliation and moves it to WSBK. And if that wasn't enough, NBC can either purchase WCVB from Hearst entirely, or trade WVIT for WCVB. Oh, and keep Chronicle at 7:30.

I got a better idea for NBC: Buy WCVB from Hearst.

WCVB has a pretty good transmitter that covers all of Southern Massachusetts than WNEU, and besides that, it's on a lower channel position than WNEU and WLVI. I'm pretty sure Ed can make deals with ABC to affiliate WHDH, and CBS to take WLVI's affiliation and moves it to WSBK. And if that wasn't enough, NBC can either purchase WCVB from Hearst entirely, or trade WVIT for WCVB. Oh, and keep Chronicle at 7:30.

578503544_speculationno.jpg.a428540b70a029bef6c44e0a1103b5fb.jpg

I swear to god with this insanity plus all the BS about the Tegna Buyouts..JUST STOP IT! I have been here on this board for over a decade and yet I never thought this amount of asinine insanity would hit this forum.

URGHHH!

[ATTACH=full]2781[/ATTACH]

I swear to god with this insanity plus all the BS about the Tegna Buyouts..JUST STOP IT! I have been here on this board for over a decade and yet I never thought this amount of asinine insanity would hit this forum.

URGHHH!

Yes, but maybe we can create a three way swap and include KRON! (Kidding of course!)

WVIT for WCVB isn't a fair trade. It would have to be something like WRC for WCVB. Either way, Hearst isn't selling WCVB unless they decide to leave the TV station business entirely, which they have given no indication of doing.

No it's not. NBC Boston [News] is exclusive to the Boston DMA. You will not find that branding being used outside of that area. Whether you like them using NBC Boston is beside the point. Identifying as NBC (by itself), Channel 7, etc. would be generic. Why? because there is NO tie in to the community and there are many stations using Channel [insert channel number] News across the country.

Actually, going by their generic number is a lot more local than branding it with a network, besides WCVB never branded themselves as ABC5, and of course look what happened to WBZ-TV with the network branding.

• 2 weeks later...

Why call yourself "NBC Boston"? Because you get an instant emotional connection to your community when you come out of the gates with a spot like this (found on the Vimeo page of one of the outside marketing firms the larger NBC O&O's deal with):

[MEDIA=vimeo]164936011[/MEDIA]

Why call yourself "NBC Boston"? Because you get an instant emotional connection to your community when you come out of the gates with a spot like this (found on the Vimeo page of one of the outside marketing firms the larger NBC O&O's deal with):

[MEDIA=vimeo]164936011[/MEDIA]

Maybe I missed something but I don't see any sense of branding other than the hockey clips? Must be a rough draft. I don't find the music that bad they're trying to convey the sense of community.

• 2 weeks later...
That's a musical style so inappropriate for what they're selling... How did that get past? (It's not bad and is decently produced, but...)

In Boston they play "Dirty Water" at Fenway when the Red Sox win and at the Garden when the Bruins win. It's perfectly appropriate for a Boston-centric image campaign.

In Boston they play "Dirty Water" at Fenway when the Red Sox win and at the Garden when the Bruins win. It's perfectly appropriate for a Boston-centric image campaign.

It may also be an attempt to sell it as a "win" for Boston TV (but probably more so NBC).

It may also be an attempt to sell it as a "win" for Boston TV (but probably more so NBC).

It's a song about the polluted St.Charles river and the dirty Boston Harbor.

The Boston strangler even gets a mention.

If that don't build civic pride then what will?

All that promoting they're doing, they can't find an OTA broadcast signal to fill the entire market for their announced O&O for 1/1/17? Wouldn't it been wise to wait to find an OTA channel before making that bold announcement back in January? That's extremely foolish for NBC to do that.

Even if they offer Ansin as much as a BILLION dollars, I hope he don't sell either one of his stations to NBC. I mean why should he? They're taking the affiliation away from him, why should he give up his station to them? Do you even think Ansin is going to settle anything with NBC, there's absolutely no chance. NBC is so adamant to have an O&O that bad, let them continue to search for a new facility to house their new O&O, since they're not at a complete rush to look for one......

What's the hold up? Are they're hoping that Ansin is going to change his mind or have a change of heart and give up one of his stations to them? NBC was completely foolish to make that bold announcement that they're going to have a new owned-and-operated station, but don't announce which channel this new O&O is going to be on. If they would've said they were going to put it on WNEU, they should've said it anyway. Otherwise they shouldn't have said a word until they fully found a facility to fill-up the entire Boston market.

Ansin obviously wants to keep the NBC affiliation. But I doubt he'll win his lawsuit though. But he'll win in my book, as long as he don't sell his station to NBC. He had made wonders turning WSVN into a powerhouse over 27 years after losing NBC there. I think he'll do fine with WHDH, even without an NBC affiliation should that be the case.

Do you know think Ansin is going to settle anything with NBC, there's absolutely no chance. NBC is so adamant to have an O&O that bad, let them continue to search for a new facility to house their new O&O, since they're not at a complete rush to look for one......

Ansin obviously wants to keep the NBC affiliation. But I doubt he'll win his lawsuit though. But he'll win in my book, as long as he don't sell his station to NBC. He had made wonders turning WSVN into a powerhouse over 27 years after losing NBC there. I think he'll do fine with WHDH, even without an NBC affiliation should that be the case.

I think Comcast will float some money Ansin's way (a lot) to keep him somewhat happy. As far as WHDH being without an affiliation, I agree that they'll be fine. If anything, they may add more news--possibly "moving" the 10 on WLVI to a non-traditional time slot (7? 8?) and launching a 10pm newscast on WHDH at the very least.

I think Comcast will float some money Ansin's way (a lot) to keep him somewhat happy. As far as WHDH being without an affiliation, I agree that they'll be fine. If anything, they may add more news--possibly "moving" the 10 on WLVI to a non-traditional time slot (7? 8?) and launching a 10pm newscast on WHDH at the very least.

7pm? Forget it. WHDH already has "7 News at 7:00" and if anything, maybe a 2-hour block of primetime news on WLVI from 8-10pm?

Archived