WRAL loses CBS affiliation effective next month

bostonmediaguy

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is actually a nice little throwback to when ABC had the "Still The One" campaign of the late 70s when they were the #1 network on TV.

...which was when WRAL was an ABC affiliate. Wow, how times have changed...

I feel like WRAL could have done a little bit more than slapping the NBC peacock next to their existing logo when they went to update it

Well it's not like either station had a whole lot of time to ramp-up to the switch.

There is a whole lot of stuff that has to happen....it's mind boggling.

I feel like WRAL could have done a little bit more than slapping the NBC peacock next to their existing logo when they went to update it

What were you expecting them to do? Change the logo & graphics like what WNCN did? I'm happy they didn't do that.

Well it's not like either station had a whole lot of time to ramp-up to the switch.

There is a whole lot of stuff that has to happen....it's mind boggling.

45 days. That surely wasn't alot of time at all.

What were you expecting them to do? Change the logo & graphics like what WNCN did? I'm happy they didn't do that.

I didn't expect anything as drastic as WNCN, but figured they would have put at least a little time into incorporating the rainbow bird.

I didn't expect anything as drastic as WNCN, but figured they would have put at least a little time into incorporating the rainbow bird.

Well I'm thrilled they didn't have to do that. Attaching the peacock into their existing logo would look extremely tacky, and that's just basically sucking up the network. I think they've done a marvelous job promoting the new network the best way they can (at a very quick timeframe at that), so they can go back as business as usual. No need to go gloating crazy like WNCN has.

Also, I don't think I've ever seen WRAL placing the "CBS Eye" either next to or incorporated in that same logo. Why should they do it now since they've now changed networks? WRAL knows better than that.

The logo is fine the way it is unaltered.

Well I'm thrilled they didn't have to do that. Attaching the peacock into their existing logo would look extremely tacky, and that's just basically sucking up the network. I think they've done a marvelous job promoting the new network the best way they can (at a very quick timeframe at that), so they can go back as business as usual. No need to go gloating crazy like WNCN has.

Also, I don't think I've ever seen WRAL placing the "CBS Eye" either next to or incorporated in that same logo. Why should they do it now since they've now changed networks? WRAL knows better than that.

The logo is fine the way it is unaltered.

I feel like they need to use a different version of the NBC logo. Like the one KNBC uses where it still has some gloss but not overly done like the one they've been using. I think the KNBC version would match the style of WRAL's logo that's been used in their background and promos.

350-nbcla-logo.jpg

I guess I shouldn't be surprised that the ratings for shows like NN or Fallon were not doing so well before hand when WRAL is such a dominate station but those increases are insane.

This is NBC's sweet reward for all those years of WPTF. This is probably the best they've rated in the market in eons.

Again... put any network affiliation on WRAL and it would help that network become #1... PERIOD. If this first day on WRAL helped NBC, imagined how WRAL helped CBS on its first day and imagine if WRAL was ABC and helped their network or became FOX or... you get my point.

WRAL is the 600,000-pound gorilla in that market and that won't change anytime soon.

This is NBC's sweet reward for all those years of WPTF. This is probably the best they've rated in the market in eons.

Likely when WRAL was with NBC the first time... back in the 1950's. After that, NBC was messed with in the market, between the WTVD/WPTF split, and having to settle with WPTF.

Again... put any network affiliation on WRAL and it would help that network become #1... PERIOD. If this first day on WRAL helped NBC, imagined how WRAL helped CBS on its first day and imagine if WRAL was ABC and helped their network or became FOX or... you get my point.

WRAL is the 600,000-pound gorilla in that market and that won't change anytime soon.

CBS should have seen what happened in Jacksonville, and multiply that by 10 for the effect WRAL had on their ratings. Not coincidentally, WJXT is doing extremely well, while WJAX is on it's 2nd or 3rd relaunch... and WRAL has the benefit over WJXT in that they didn't go independent.

No need to go gloating crazy like WNCN has.

True, but WNCN should be gloating like crazy from logos to slogans to skywriting CBS IS NOW ON 17!!! over RDU. It's the stronger network by far so whatever they can go to attach to their coattails, they should.

WRAL on the other hand is now with the underperforming network. Try and hide that as much as you can.

There's no real time deadline to integrate the Peacock in. I'm sure by the Olympics when they have to use the Rings for the O-Zone they'll have the logo design up to par by then, and definitely by fall. I'll take a WCVB finding great ways to blend in the 'Arrow 5' into a 2016 image any day over a 'welp we changed networks bye old logo' design like WJAX did; even the WJZY switch, if disastrous in other ways, saw that keeping the CW-era '46' with Fox (after throwing out the way-too-broad Carolinas branding) was best to go with. The good thing about WRAL's logo is that it has a good timeless feel that worked as well in 1998 as it does today.

True, but WNCN should be gloating like crazy from logos to slogans to skywriting CBS IS NOW ON 17!!! over RDU. It's the stronger network by far so whatever they can go to attach to their coattails, they should.

WRAL on the other hand is now with the underperforming network. Try and hide that as much as you can.

NBC is not underperforming. It's usually #2 behind CBS.

CBS should have seen what happened in Jacksonville, and multiply that by 10 for the effect WRAL had on their ratings. Not coincidentally, WJXT is doing extremely well, while WJAX is on it's 2nd or 3rd relaunch... and WRAL has the benefit over WJXT in that they didn't go independent.

When does CBS's affiliation agreement with WJAX expire, anyway? And what's the likelihood of WJXT still being owned by Graham by then?

There's no real time deadline to integrate the Peacock in. I'm sure by the Olympics when they have to use the Rings for the O-Zone they'll have the logo design up to par by then, and definitely by fall.

Unless someone can correct me, I don't think NBC mandates that the peacock be included in the station logo like ABC does. I know WAVY and WECT seldom include the peacock with their logos on-air.

WJZY's "46" isn't even distinctive, it's literally a "46" set in Myriad Black. WRAL's "5" is an original design.

In these days where horrible 'YouTube fantasy TV in reality' Helvetica logos are all the rage I'll take 'distinctive' even in a Mac system font.

Archived