WGCL faces controversy over "pizzagate" report

atlnews2

WGCL's Ben Swann gave a report on the "pizzagate" hoax/conspiracy theory on Tuesday that seemed to question why no one wasn't treating it like a real story and asking why the police weren't investigating it as such. He also to repeated the conspiracy talking points that are found on 4chan and other shady places online, like how a slice of pizza is similar to a "man-boy love symbol"

WGCL has pulled the video from their website.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2017/01/18/meet-ben-swann-the-republican-pizzagate-truther-hosting-atlanta-s-cbs-nightly-news.html

http://radiotvtalk.blog.ajc.com/2017/01/18/ben-swann-of-cbs46-brings-back-pizzagate-conspiracy-story/

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So much for the "lib'rul media," huh? Unfuckingbelievable. That guy needs to be fired, posthaste, and laughed out of journalism forever.

The more troubling thing is that the news director allowed him to go forward with the story and burn five minutes of local news time with it.

Every day more and more, CBS must regret just not sticking with WVEU/WUPA and going with "CBS 69" in 1994; at least the news product would have been just boring rather than incredibly terrible.

As long as they get their retrans money I doubt they care if WGCL is running somebody taking a shit during the news slots.

Funny you say that, because journalistically, that's basically what this was.

Also worth noting that this reporter came to WGCL from Russia Today (RT), which if anyone if familiar with the channel knows is basically conspiracy theory central.

The first hundred results I can find about handkerchiefs were all related to a quick and easy way for identifying people with similar "tastes" when hooking up. One thing is for sure is that the Donald has a yellow hanky in his right pocket.

The more troubling thing is that the news director allowed him to go forward with the story and burn five minutes of local news time with it.

"Burn five minutes of local news time"??

Don't worry mrschimpf...

TV news time is a renewable resource...they only use electrons... otherwise they would need all kinds of hazmat permits and stuff.

Why Alex Jones hasn't hired this crackpot for Infowars or Prison Planet is rather odd.

I think the whole thing is suicidal, but Meredeath thinks there is some alt-right dollars out there. Can you fire this guy on a morals clause if YOU are a co-conspiritor in this show?

This is Morton Downey Jr stuff 30 years later. Everything old...is new again.

[MEDIA=twitter]824693249147367424[/MEDIA]

Looks like he's got a talking to. Just another set-up for failure for WGCL. If Meredith knew of his style of reporting before hiring, then why they suddenly panicking when it gets attention? Ben would be wise to try radio again (maybe a part-time on role WSB-AM or WYAY?) after he agrees to separate from 46. Always thought it would be a better fit for what he do, wouldn't be constrained by the false pretense of "objectivity" and could bring a younger audience to that medium. (God knows they need it) This could be a blessing in disguise with the way industry is headed when he gets the boot.

[MEDIA=twitter]824693249147367424[/MEDIA]

Looks like he's got a talking to. Just another set-up for failure for WGCL. If Meredith knew of his style of reporting before hiring, then why they suddenly panicking when it gets attention? Ben would be wise to try radio again (maybe a part-time on role WSB-AM or WYAY?) after he agrees to separate from 46. Always thought it would be a better fit for what he do, wouldn't be constrained by the false pretense of "objectivity" and could bring a younger audience to that medium. (God knows they need it) This could be a blessing in disguise with the way industry is headed when he gets the boot.

If I were to guess, WGCL saw "RT" on his resume and thought "Wow, this guy worked with an international news network" and forgot or didn't know the fact that the network he came from has a reputation for having little to no credibility.

Once again, incompetence at WGCL comes back to bite them. Which baffles me because Meredith actually has some decently run stations in other markets (Kansas City, St. Louis, Las Vegas, Portland).

If I were to guess, WGCL saw "RT" on his resume and thought "Wow, this guy worked with an international news network" and forgot or didn't know the fact that the network he came from has a reputation for having little to no credibility.

Once again, incompetence at WGCL comes back to bite them. Which baffles me because Meredith actually has some decently run stations in other markets (Kansas City, St. Louis, Las Vegas, Portland).

Count Phoenix's KTVK on that list as well.

And WGCL should shut down their news department. Their long history of being last should convince them to shut it all down. They've been embarrassed for long enough already.

I see WGCL pull a KDNL because WGCL has embarrassed themselves long enough. If WGCL's news went away, no one would care because ratings show it.

But plenty of low rated newscast make plenty of good money because of great sale execs.

That does NOT excuse WGCL by any means...but they really believe this is going to make them money...ratings be damned.

For the record I think it's just as insane as you and everyone else does, but it's also funny as hell that they stooped this low, and they are taking that poor stupid clueless kid (reporter) down also.

Archived