New WGN Set

alex979

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The large OTS is apparently only used for sports, seeing as they don't have a monitor behind them, anymore. They could at least add some kind of border to it, but at least they don't use it for the news anchors.

I spoke too soon...

[ATTACH]4020[/ATTACH]

Here, they slapped a title on it for you...

D1815L4l.jpg

I'm a stickler for consistency and detail, so of course I'd notice this.

There's two different "9" logos shown during the 9@9 segment, the current one during their transition swoosh and a slightly different one in the L3

O2ypXwQ.jpg?1

tYvS8FN.jpg

That second one looks even more like their 80s logo than the current redesign does, the 9 is more rounded and circular. I think I kinda like it better than the one they went with, it'd probably still look good on the current logo now (not that the current logo is trash or anything, because I like that, too).

Not sure if this question should go in this thread or the Sinclair thread...

If WGN has studios to spare and they're not going to be doing other Chicago productions eg) Bozo, do you think they'll use that extra studio space to hub other Sinclair stations' newscasts?

Good question. I think Sinclair outsources to a facility in South Bend for a few newscasts. If WGN's facility is better than whatever one they currently use (which I'm sure it is) and if they aren't as cheap as I think they are, then it's a possibility that Sinclair would be willing to invest in a bare bones set to do news for smaller markets from Chicago if they feel it'd be worth it, but that'd be a big if.

I saw that segment on my DVR'd copy of the broadcast. They showed off their lightning system, which includes custom profiles for every single anchor/personality. Is this type of system fairly standard now, or is it new technology?

GNOx34e.jpg

The new set is not bad. My gripe is the logo.

It's a shame that they have gone with the clean skinny route (not just the skinny, "uninspired" "9", but the "WGN" wording/font as well). For a station as big as Channel 9, they could've compose a more distinctive design than this. And to tell you the truth, I would've been more satisfied if they would've resurrected the '83 logo, the same way KTLA brought back their 80s logo. It would've looked better from a small market station to use it, instead of a "top-3". Talk about a disappointment.

As I said about the new Comcast logo, where's the "stank"?

The new set is not bad. My gripe is the logo.

It's a shame that they have gone with the clean skinny route (not just the skinny, "uninspired" "9", but the "WGN" wording/font as well). For a station as big as Channel 9, they could've compose a more distinctive design than this. And to tell you the truth, I would've been more satisfied if they would've resurrected the '83 logo, the same way KTLA brought back their 80s logo.

WGN did something similar to WPIX, who made a variation of their old 11 logo that's not exactly like their classic one but similar (though in their case, it's probably because the old one was meant to resemble the old World Trade Center towers). I do think that a classic 1983 9 plus a bolder font for "WGN" (or maybe using the font for WGN America) would have probably looked better, but I'm not entirely disappointed with the new logo.

Yeah, my overall assessment is that there's a little tweaking I'd do to everything they overhauled...adopt the '83 9 (minus the lines, which I'm guessing most others would do, too), lighten the flanking LED walls during daytime hours, keep the same font across all graphics, and drop the "Chicago's Very Own" from the logo in the open and reinstate the spinning CVO from the old version.

They showed off their lightning system, which includes custom profiles for every single anchor/personality.
I have never heard of anything like that. That is legit impressive. Wow.

Whatever it is, it runs on an ETC lighting control console. I'd recognize the interface around it anywhere. It looks like an Ion console and sidecar is sitting next to the touch screen.

It might just be a really complicated "

" which is something that comes with the console.

Yeah, my overall assessment is that there's a little tweaking I'd do to everything they overhauled...adopt the '83 9 (minus the lines, which I'm guessing most others would do, too), lighten the flanking LED walls during daytime hours, keep the same font across all graphics, and drop the "Chicago's Very Own" from the logo in the open and reinstate the spinning CVO from the old version.

Yes, I cannot stand how long the logo just sits static on the screen during the opens. The opens and the music are designed specifically for the logo-CVO-logo spin that they used with the old logo. They basically threw the new logo into a place where it doesn't fit. I get the feeling that an open and/or music change is in the works, and the status quo is just temporary.

Heck, they went through the work of rendering new morning and evening talent opens that will have to be remade anyway in a few weeks when Erin and Sarah switch places.

I assume there's still no point in making an early morning talent open until Morgan starts AND they name a permanent co-anchor, or they can do like after Robert Jordan left and just name Dan Ponce in the open for the time being.

Archived