New WGN Set

alex979

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They seem to make it sound like the news desk is actually BIGGER, which certainly would buck the trend if true. I always figured that circular stand-up portion of the old desk would get in the way of the sitting anchors, especially a year or so ago when they stopped doing stand-up sports and started having the sports anchor cram into a seated position at the desk.

The chairs have looked like garbage for years, and you could often see it on-air, as well. Those chairs should have been replaced in the middle of the set's life in 2010/2011 or so.

The chairs have looked like garbage for years, and you could often see it on-air, as well. Those chairs should have been replaced in the middle of the set's life in 2010/2011 or so.

I know Tribune was $2 billion in debt or something, but surely new chairs wouldn't have been that much for them to add on to the expenses.

I like how they acknowledged how cramped and out-of-date the set feels. It felt way smaller than their previous studio from the 90s and early 00s, which was more open (but that one also felt like it had a lot of wasted space, I seem to recall a pointless second desk that was in the background that just sat there and was rarely, if ever, used for anything). And the set itself isn't bad I guess, but it's aged terribly. I don't think it even looked good just a couple years after it debuted, but I guess they couldn't replace it as quickly because they had only just changed it a few years before (and unlike graphics being able to be changed after three years like we're about to see tomorrow, sets obviously cost way more in both time and money).

The desk got pretty nasty, too. That's a lot of spilled coffee and other stuff over the years.

I never understood the 90's studio. I got that the living room/cooking set was opposite the deep daytime set, but where was the 9 o'clock set...in another studio, or did they employ people to move around set pieces?

I believe that desk from the 90s set was rotatable.

I'll show you an example, from this 9pm

, you'll see that video wall on the left side (which it would
)? Now look at this AM News
with Konrad & some balloon guy standing against that same video wall. And in the end of the
you see Bill Weir & Joanie Lum at the desk looking towards them.

Even as a little kid, when they were on the 90s set, I always wondered why they almost never used that mini desk behind the main desk. I always felt like they should have had regular news updates delivered from that desk.

Even as a little kid, when they were on the 90s set, I always wondered why they almost never used that mini desk behind the main desk. I always felt like they should have had regular news updates delivered from that desk.

They did use that mini desk, I just can't remember what for (that's way, way, too long ago to remember). But, I can guarantee you it was used.

They did use that mini desk, I just can't remember what for (that's way, way, too long ago to remember). But, I can guarantee you it was used.

Didn't Bill Weir do sports from the mini-desk, or was he always at the main desk? But I also remember it being used as well. Wasn't there someone sitting at the mini-desk, readings some sort of headlines (similar to like a newsreader on GMA/Today)?

Here's a vid of a news open that shows someone sitting at that desk.

Okay, I have another question. Do any of you remember the date the soon-to-be former set debuted?

Some said it debuted in 2004. But I found this

, and this was right around Christmas time of 2004 because there were poinsettias placed behind the backdrop. And it looks like it moved portions their 90s set were to a temp spot.

That looks.... weird. I'll get used to it, I guess. Still think it would be better if the 9 box was red and the 9 itself was white. I think they're going to change the lower thirds though, since the new weather graphic that was shown the other day doesn't really match the current ones.

Pretty much confirms that the old graphics are sticking around.

Maybe they're pulling what ABC 7 did and redesigning the time/temp and lower thirds and keeping the full screens, which I think is okay. Just about everything beyond the bug still looks good.

That desk does look like this.

Also: in the provost design post, it's says that it's a design for WGN and that it was not final. Meanwhile, it has not been edited since January and I can see MANY design similarities to their teases.

IMG_4324.thumb.JPG.e9b896236505ab1145c9067848c3d636.JPG

Archived