New WGN Set

alex979

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think of it this way; the current set should've died years ago, and the current logo doesn't really hold any nostalgic importance. The new logo isn't so terribly bad that I'm going to miss the outgoing one, and the whole overhaul is really going to have to try to actually disappoint me. Yes, change for the sake of change is risky, but it's not like they're trading in a masterpiece for it.

No, that's been online for over a year. Probably a rejected concept.

So the new set debuts tomorrow at 4pm. It was built in Studio 2, which used to be where they did feature segments and performances. I'm guessing they moved that whole setup to Studio 1 before they started on the new news set. I wonder what they'll do with the current news Studio 3.

The performance area did look a little smaller, now that you mention the switch, and the lighting's improved, too. Studio 2 might be the biggest of the 3, just thinking about the times they've featured all 3.

WGN is pleased to announce the debut of a new state-of-the-art multiple use news set, which will house the main set as well as set locations for sports, traffic, interviews, cooking segments and more.

AKA, everything they current set does, including no designated weather area.

The performance area did look a little smaller, now that you mention the switch, and the lighting's improved, too. Studio 2 might be the biggest of the 3, just thinking about the times they've featured all 3.

1) i thought they had four studios including the hallway where the courtesy desk sits at.

2) I am assuming that they will not have an integrated weather center but using the weather office still.

From the info I've gathered from their little peeks, I think these are possibly the 2 logos they might use:

Going by the one that they accidentally showed during the weather on the Morning News yesterday, it's gonna look like the one on the left, the 9 is gonna be in the box. I think it looks cleaner than the 9 going over the N in that second one, I haven't seen one that looked like that yet.

So the new set debuts at 4pm tomorrow, but what about the new logo and graphics? Are those gonna debut at 4 in the morning on the last Morning News with the current set and with a new bug on the syndicated programming? Or are they gonna wait until 4pm to show off everything new?

So, I think the most important question is...does Mike Toomey's nook have a home in the new digs, or is it time for that thing to go?

Maybe they'll give him a fancy new nook a-la Orange Room style.

I was thinking about that the other day. It kind of suits the current set, the cheapness of it all. If the new set is as state-of-the-art as they say it is, it might look a bit more out of place! Either they're gonna keep it anyway, or he's just gonna be standing off to the side next to a monitor or a video wall doing his bits.

When built, the building had three identical studios. You can find the floorplan on page 72 of this magazine (warning: large file)

http://www.americanradiohistory.com/Archive-Television-Magazine/Television-1964-Jun.pdf

That actually looks nice I wonder if KFOR in Oklahoma City will get something similar to that when they FINALLY get the new building done?

Archived