New WGN Set

alex979

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting logo. I was expecting it to be probably an exact copy of their 80s logo, but it still looks inspired by it and overall looks quite retro if you ask me. And nice, a clean mic flag! The current ones were starting to look really beaten up.

I'm surprised that the graphics don't seem to be changing for now. I would have thought this picture that alex979 posted a few pages back would have indicated that there would be. Maybe it's just the on-screen news graphics that'll change. As mentioned on the previous page, the logo bug is all that needed to be changed, and I'll be happy if that's different.

CVjeI0Il.jpg

The openers/animations look kind of awkward with the new logo. All the angles line up with the fat W in the current WGN[9] logo.

I think they're eventually going to change them, probably to something similar to the new promo endboard for Crime Watch Daily that they showed today, and to match with the new on-screen graphics that are likely coming (I doubt they'd scrap that at the last minute, unless they still need to be worked on and aren't completely finalized yet, which is what I think is the reason why it looks like they're still using the angled graphics for openers), because the on-screen graphics like the logo bug used up until the Midday News today are also meant to match the angled animations.

EDIT: I just watched their ad for the "Daytime Drama Block" when they segue between shows, and it looks like they're making use of both angles and diamonds this time. It looks really funky and quite cool if you ask me. I actually think the angles might work for their news openers as well, but maybe with a few slight tweaks and changes.

I think they're eventually going to change them, probably to something similar to the new promo endboard for Crime Watch Daily that they showed today, and to match with the new on-screen graphics that are likely coming (I doubt they'd scrap that at the last minute, unless they still need to be worked on and aren't completely finalized yet, which is what I think is the reason why it looks like they're still using the angled graphics for openers), because the on-screen graphics like the logo bug used up until the Midday News today are also meant to match the angled animations.

EDIT: I just watched their ad for the "Daytime Drama Block" when they segue between shows, and it looks like they're making use of both angles and diamonds this time. It looks really funky and quite cool if you ask me. I actually think the angles might work for their news openers as well, but maybe with a few slight tweaks and changes.

The angles and diamonds promos were in use back in September when WGN and CW split up. Though this was the only instance that I saw of it on air until the new logo came along.

So, someone at the station posted a longer time lapse of construction showing the set as late as about 90% completion. I'm not going to post it, because the link to it is technically private, but I will admit that there are SOME (but not many) cues taken from that demo we've seen before, like the desk shape and a wall with the street map. The desk does have a circular glass top on the end, like the current one, but it's on a removable desk extension, so someone can sit on a higher stool or stand there.

Unrelated to the posting I saw...

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=1440760409278456

Wow, so that overall design was rejected but they liked enough elements from it to bring it into the final design. Interesting, can't wait to see it!

On the subject of primetime Morning News specials, I agree, they should make that like a yearly thing (if the new big bosses allow it over their own pro-Republican/Trump documentaries instead). And also have a weekly "best of" show, there's so much material they can pick from over the last 20 years and make it a two hour show every Friday or Saturday night, something to change up the schedule from the standard Two and a Half Men/Last Man Standing reruns every night.

Archived