KFMB-TV / AM / FM for Sale

A3N

I thought i'd make a new thread on this. As has been posted in the Out and About section, Midwest TV, owner of KFMB-TV/AM/FM is putting the stations up for sale.

Article from FTVLive:

http://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2017/10/27/socal-station-is-on-the-block

And KUSI even mentioned it as well....

http://www.kusi.com/clip/13855449/kfmb-tv-and-radio-stations-for-sale

I should add that KUSI mentioned the news last night. My goodness, McKinnon couldn't wait to spill the beans.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They may be hanging out at Thad's this weekend....along with all the new suitors.

I seriously hope the sales price is so high just so McKinnon doesn't have an opportunity to buy it, let alone place a bid.

Cox would probably be the best fit for all of them; it's an instant cluster, plus there's already synergy because they own cablesystems there.

Makes the most sense. Plus, with COX as the owner, COX Cable customers wouldn't have to worry about retrans squabbles and blackouts of the station.

I seriously hope the sales price is so high just so McKinnon doesn't have an opportunity to buy it, let alone place a bid.

Makes the most sense. Plus, with COX as the owner, COX Cable customers wouldn't have to worry about retrans squabbles and blackouts of the station.

Interesting you mention blackouts...

Q: How long was KFMB off the COX system during the last retrans "dispute"...

A: 5 hours.

Agreed with those thinking Cox. It would mirror what happened in Tulsa, where Cox controls the city's cable system and also successfully acquired the KOKI (Fox)/KMYT (MyNet) duopoly when Newport got out of the television business. There's precedent there.

I'm just thinking out loud....

Now I need a nap...and a nice drive to the high desert to think....

It's wonderful in the Coachella Valley right now! Just don't watch the news...

If KSWB is not among the top 4 stations (and I don't think it is), Sinclair can scoop up KFMB legally and form a duopoly.

But does San Diego have enough stations for a legal duopoly? Keep in mind that this is a market where Fox, UPN/CW and MyNetwork had to at one point or currently use Mexican stations to gain clearance.

But does San Diego have enough stations for a legal duopoly? Keep in mind that this is a market where Fox, UPN/CW and MyNetwork had to at one point or currently use Mexican stations to gain clearance.

Foreign stations are counted by Nielsen if they serve an American market. In any event, the "eight-voices rule" is slated to go away as part of Pai's changes to the ownership rules.

Foreign stations are counted by Nielsen if they serve an American market. In any event, the "eight-voices rule" is slated to go away as part of Pai's changes to the ownership rules.

The problem is that the number of Mexican voices in that went down from 2 to 1 (if XHAS and XHDTV are correctly considered commonly operated)when Televisa began running XETV itself...which may have foreclosed on (under current rules) a duopoly.

Thinking of SD-area full-powers...

KFMB

KGTV

KNSD

KSWB

KUSI

KPBS

XHAS/XHDTV (co-operated)

This would be a better fit for Speculatron?

Station sales don't become speculation until someone has dreamed up a scenario in which the sale results in an affiliation swap. Or a domino effect where other stations are somehow involved.

:rolleyes:

KFMB makes plenty of money for Midwest, so any suitor interested will definitely pay a hefty price for the station. That being said, while Midwest kept-up the station pretty well, I can't help but wonder if a new owner would entertain the idea of constructing a new building?

And on a side note, Midwest did make some pretty hefty personnel cuts a few years ago when they went to automation, but some of their anchors are making a nice chunk of change. I expect the new owners to cut a bit more of fat around the meat and a faster acceleration to MMJ's.

No Chargers in town anymore = no reason for CBS to consider save for a TV arms race with Sinclair.

I sure hope Cox gets it; otherwise Sinclair absolutely could scoop it up, which after the merger would put THEM in basically every Cali market.

I'm surprised no one has brought up Meredith or Nexstar.

This would actually be a good fit for Meredith. It's in a market size where they do well (DMA-wise, it fits with Nashville, Hartford and Kansas City), and the company is heavy on CBS.

Archived