KFMB-TV / AM / FM for Sale

A3N

Let's see who the Kimmel's sell to. If they care and value their employees and the legacy of the tv station, then they'll sell to one of the better ownership groups out there. If they care about the money, then well, the rest is history.

Joe L. Allbritton's sons only cared about the money and Politico, and their father ran WJLA as practically another son for close to 40 years.

Not that I'm equating the Kimmels to the Allbritton sons. But it is possible that they just want to take the money and run. Maybe it isn't. Who knows.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Joe L. Allbritton's sons only cared about the money and Politico, and their father ran WJLA as practically another son for close to 40 years.

Not that I'm equating the Kimmels to the Allbritton sons. But it is possible that they just want to take the money and run. Maybe it isn't. Who knows.

Well the thing with the Allbritton’s was that they were hellbent on selling their tv portfolio as a whole instead of piecemeal. Which for a few reasons I could see why.

In this case, it’s only one (tv) station, so the sale should not only go through quickly but Elizabeth Kimmel can be picky on who she sells to. Again, if she really cares about and values her employees and tv station....

Now I sure do hope Cox is doing their due diligence and makes a strong push for this station...

A sale of KFMB to Nexstar would reunite them with it's former Midwest sister stations WMBD & WCIA, and former Transcontinent sister station WROC.

I hope they have food at the reunion.

Hot dogs and Jello Jigglers would be nice.

A sale of KFMB to Nexstar would reunite them with it's former Midwest sister stations WMBD & WCIA, and former Transcontinent sister station WROC.

Please don't give them any ideas.

I believe KFMB, KNSD, KGTV and KUSI in that order? Unless a Spanish station also ranks up there?

Well if KSWB is below he top 4 and Pai eliminates the "Eight Voices Rule", what's to stop Sinclair from twinsticking KFMB with KSWB?

I believe KFMB, KNSD, KGTV and KUSI in that order? Unless a Spanish station also ranks up there?

I'm not doubting the messenger, but it's kind of hard to believe KSWB isn't in the top 4 sign-on to sign-off, and that KUSI of all stations beats them.

The CW San Diego is in HD, just not on DirecTV and DIsh, I believe. The reason why the picture quality sucks is because they're broadcasting at 720p, and also the fact that they have to share bandwidth with the main channel.

Not only the main channel, but third subchannel Grit (which Katz/Scripps pays the station to carry, IIRC).

I'm not doubting the messenger, but it's kind of hard to believe KSWB isn't in the top 4 sign-on to sign-off, and that KUSI of all stations beats them.

I thought that was odd as well. I do know that KUSI beats KSWB head-to-head during their newscasts, but sign-on to sign-off is a bit of a stretch. I could be wrong.

The Meyer family was one of the last of the broadcasting families to hang on

What are the remaining broadcasting families left? (ignoring large companies like Cox, Graham, and Hearst)

I can only think of the Manship family (WBRZ, KRGV)

What are the remaining broadcasting families left? (ignoring large companies like Cox, Graham, and Hearst)

WFMJ Youngstown OH is owned by The Maag family also owners of The Vindicator.

WFMJ Youngstown OH is owned by The Maag family also owners of The Vindicator.

McKinnon with KUSI

Sunbeam with WSVN and WHDH (not counting WLVI since its a passing fad waiting to be signed off)

Heritage with WWTV/WWUP

McBride Family with WINK and WXCW

Waterman with WBBH, WZVN and WVIR

Dispatch Broadcast Group is still firmly controlled by the Wolfe family. Kinda surprised no one has mentioned them.

McKinnon with KUSI

Sunbeam with WSVN and WHDH (not counting WLVI since its a passing fad waiting to be signed off)

Heritage with WWTV/WWUP

McBride Family with WINK and WXCW

Waterman with WBBH, WZVN and WVIR

There's also the Goodmon family (WRAL/WRAZ/WILM), Draper family (WBOC), Paxton family (WPSD), and the Wray family (KTBS)

Among the slightly larger family companies but not Cox/Graham/Hearst large...

There are the Hubbards, the Oakleys (Quincy), the Bradleys (NPG) and the Murphy-Burns' (Morgan Murphy).

Griffin also occurs to me, though we're drifting way away here.

For someone not familiar with the market, how valuable are KFMB FM and AM in the radio market?

FM: is pretty in between

AM: not much

http://www.sandiegoradio.org/2017/10/latest-ratings.html?m=1

Side note: wow since when did KyXy go downhill in ratings? I’m guessing 98.1 is that good now after getting rid of the Easy format?

In a perfect world, I agree with CBS. They already have Radio Property in San Diego.

But with the sale of CBS Radio (Energy and KyXy) joining Entercom, might be tricky since Entercom already owns 4 Radio Stations + 2 (CBS) which makes it 6, aaaand if they pick up the whole package KFMB FM and AM, that would be 8 total on top of a TV station.

Isn’t there a limit on how many they can own?

The only station that Entercom is unloading in San Diego is 92.1 KSOQ in North County San Diego (not a full market signal). Going to EMF on November 17th. That's all it has to divest in that market.

Any buyer should be required to air a verbal top-of-the-hour I.D. as follows: "K-F-M! B-F-M! San Diego's FM!" (as the old B100 did)

It has already returned to that top of the hour legal id (and also identity now for the first time). http://www.kfmbstations.com/music

B100's Bobby Rich was the greatest program director. Gave me my first job.

I could see CBS picking up KFMB-TV. That would give them an O&O in all of the major California markets; Los Angeles, San Francisco, San Diego and Sacramento.

They'll certainly have the available cash on November 17th. That's the date that CBS Radio will no longer exist as it becomes part of Entercom.

Archived