KFMB-TV / AM / FM for Sale

A3N

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This would actually be a good fit for Meredith. It's in a market size where they do well (DMA-wise, it fits with Nashville, Hartford and Kansas City), and the company is heavy on CBS.

Sorry for the double post but another one that wasn't brought up was Hearst. Granted, they're no where near as heavy on CBS as Meredith, but could they still be a possibility?

Sorry for the double post but another one that wasn't brought up was Hearst. Granted, they're no where near as heavy on CBS as Meredith, but could they still be a possibility?

Hearst has shown the least M&A appetite of anyone (I think all they've acquired in recent years is WJCL), but in a market like this, they could be sniffing around.

That and WVTM, which I believe is a similar market size to San Diego. From what I've heard, they've invested on that one pretty well since they got it in their hands.

Forgot about B'ham. Definitely smaller, 680K TV homes compared to a million in SD.

Let's see who the Kimmel's sell to. If they care and value their employees and the legacy of the tv station, then they'll sell to one of the better ownership groups out there. If they care about the money, then well, the rest is history.

In a perfect world, I agree with CBS. They already have Radio Property in San Diego.

But with the sale of CBS Radio (Energy and KyXy) joining Entercom, might be tricky since Entercom already owns 4 Radio Stations + 2 (CBS) which makes it 6, aaaand if they pick up the whole package KFMB FM and AM, that would be 8 total on top of a TV station.

Isn’t there a limit on how many they can own?

In a perfect world, I agree with CBS. They already have Radio Property in San Diego.

But with the sale of CBS Radio (Energy and KyXy) joining Entercom, might be tricky since Entercom already owns 4 Radio Stations + 2 (CBS) which makes it 6, aaaand if they pick up the whole package KFMB FM and AM, that would be 8 total on top of a TV station.

It's eight total, with a maximum of five in one band (AM or FM). There may also be additional antitrust concerns.

I thought i'd make a new thread on this. As has been posted in the Out and About section, Midwest TV...

It took me way too long to realize you weren't talking about me.

Or are you? Who's to say I'm not a high up employee at Midwest TV? ;)

It took me way too long to realize you weren't talking about me.

Or are you? Who's to say I'm not a high up employee at Midwest TV? ;)

Oh do tell us why you decided to sell the KFMB properties after 60+ years in business?!? LOL

I think the radio properties are the least of their worries. They'll find a buyer should that need arise. Perhaps BCA Radio would be interested?

I think the radio properties are the least of their worries. They'll find a buyer should that need arise. Perhaps BCA Radio would be interested?

Their cluster would mesh well with KFMB and increase their ratings standing dramatically.

Interesting development I must say, I sorta speculated this months ago. CBS 8 is pretty much the top rated news station in San Diego, so the new owner has big shoes to fill.

If the new owner can make their CW station go HD, then I’d be personally satisfied.

Their cluster would mesh well with KFMB and increase their ratings standing dramatically.

And honestly, BCA radio needs it after losing the Padres and SDSU Aztecs broadcast rights. If they want to survive, they need to beef up.

Interesting development I must say, I sorta speculated this months ago. CBS 8 is pretty much the top rated news station in San Diego, so the new owner has big shoes to fill.

If the new owner can make their CW station go HD, then I’d be personally satisfied.

The CW San Diego is in HD, just not on DirecTV and DIsh, I believe. The reason why the picture quality sucks is because they're broadcasting at 720p, and also the fact that they have to share bandwidth with the main channel.

And honestly, BCA radio needs it after losing the Padres and SDSU Aztecs broadcast rights. If they want to survive, they need to beef up.

I'm not quite sure why they lost out, especially to a non-sports FM, though I've heard signal coverage issues in some key SD areas were a bugaboo for BCA. Why did the Aztecs bolt? That's kind of a disaster, losing the two biggest sports deals in town.

The CW San Diego is in HD, just not on DirecTV and DIsh, I believe. The reason why the picture quality sucks is because they're broadcasting at 720p, and also the fact that they have to share bandwidth with the main channel.

Yeah, it’s just a major turn-off for me and I bet for a lot of other people, the picture is elongated and it feels like you’re watching a low budget station...and unfortunately their website is pretty much an afterthought. Luckily there’s not really much to watch, mostly court shows and Dr. Oz in the daytime and I guess I’ll stream Riverdale on Netflix several months from now. This is pretty much one of the reasons why people are cutting the cord, too many battles between cable companies and stations — which turns into a very poor product presentation that somehow will never get resolved since they assume the audience is okay with mediocrity.

I'm not quite sure why they lost out, especially to a non-sports FM, though I've heard signal coverage issues in some key SD areas were a bugaboo for BCA. Why did the Aztecs bolt? That's kind of a disaster, losing the two biggest sports deals in town.

The Padres radio rights were such a shit-show when it came time for renewal. The previous CEO of the team made a deal with Entercomm for the rights, presumably for more money than what BCA/Mighty 1090 was/could offer the team. Then the CEO (Mike Dee) was fired by Padres ownership. Just a few months ago, one of the team's owners actually went on 1090 and they were discussing the radio rights when the owner himself said that he didn't know why FM94.9 was given the rights and that he didn't even know about the deal that Dee made until it was finalized. Basically, if left up to ownership, the radio rights to the Padres would have stayed on at 1090. I should mention that Dee took a job at Entercomm as CEO or something having to do with dealing with local sports teams radio rights. Connect the dots and see if there isn't something fishy there.

In regards to the Aztecs: The school contracted FOX Sports' collegiate media rights/marketing group to negotiate a new deal and Clear Channel was the winner there.

Back to KFMB-AM/FM. They're both really strong stations, but would complement the BCA cluster and allow the company to have U.S. based radio stations. 1090's signal reaches wayyyyy past Los Angeles. I have read some people commenting that on a clear night, they were able to get the 1090 signal all the way to Sacramento. A bit skeptical on that claim, but one consistent claim I do hear is that the station can be heard in Santa Barbara.

Cox has really been strengthening up their radio and TV ties of late. Many of their market managers now oversee both radio and TV. (And different speculation has them wanting to trade for radio stations CBS/Entercom needs to spin off in Boston - this includes WBZ AM/FM and WRKO - so as to shore up their position with WFXT 25.)

This is a logical match for Cox; it returns them to Southern California after selling off KFI and KOST to Jacor in the late 1990s. KFMB is a strong radio/TV cluster with operations not dissimilar to other Cox radio/TV ops.

Archived