KFMB-TV / AM / FM for Sale

A3N

I think the radio properties are the least of their worries. They'll find a buyer should that need arise. Perhaps BCA Radio would be interested?

KFMB AM & FM are already in a joint operating agreement with Local Media San Diego, LLC which runs Z90.3, 91X and Magic 92.5 (all English language Tijuana, Mexico licensed stations with studios in San Diego) called SD Local. http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/entertainment/sdut-local-media-kfmb-station-joint-operating-agreement-2015oct05-htmlstory.html

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
KFMB AM & FM are already in a joint operating agreement with Local Media San Diego, LLC which runs Z90.3, 91X and Magic 92.5 (all English language Tijuana, Mexico licensed stations with studios in San Diego) called SD Local. http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/entertainment/sdut-local-media-kfmb-station-joint-operating-agreement-2015oct05-htmlstory.html

That barely lasted a year.

That barely lasted a year.

Yup, KFMB’s ownership terminated that deal not long after it had taken place. Nothing was ever mentioned as to why the LMA was dissolved since all the parties involved were hush-hush.

In the 1990s, Midwest Television divested its original television and radio station properties leaving the KFMB stations as the company's only remaining properties

Which leaves the obvious question: Why did they keep the "Midwest Television" name? Sentimentality? Laziness?

Which leaves the obvious question: Why did they keep the "Midwest Television" name? Sentimentality? Laziness?

Probably just to annoy us.

I know that whole "Midwest TV " thing has been bugging me since the day they sold those sloppy little stations out east.

I mean the nerve of them...still using the Midwest Moniker after all these years without a single station in the "Midwest"...

After all...

That (WCIA) was the "flagship station" of the chain.

That is not proper to sell your flagship station and rename it to the remaining station.

There can be no proper flagship station if only a single station exist...not excluding radio...or side cars...or JSA's...or LD's and CD's...

And conflicts???

Oh I HAve conflicts...

The Meyer family was one of the last of the broadcasting families to hang on

There a few families left that own stations big or small. However, they're dropping likes flies.

The Wray Family owns KTBS/Shreveport

As for The Wolfe Family who owns Dispatch Broadcasting, and the old man died. The children (daughters) run the company, so we shall see how long that will last.

There a few families left that own stations big or small. However, they're dropping likes flies.

Even if they are publicly traded. Scripps, Comcast/NBCUniversal, and Sincrap are public but majority family-owned. Hearst Television used to be publicly traded and called Hearst-Argyle Television until early June 2009.

They should’ve sold KFMB with their other stations!
On July 8, 1999, Midwest Television sold WMBD-TV and sister station, WCIA-TV in Champaign to Pennsylvania-based Nexstar Broadcasting Group for $110 million dollars

On July 8, 1999, Midwest Television sold WMBD-TV and sister station, WCIA-TV in Champaign to Pennsylvania-based Nexstar Broadcasting Group for $110 million dollars

They are/were based in Texas, not Pennsylvania. Today, they are Nexstar Media Group.

I think at that time, Nexstar would not have had any interest in a station in a market the size of San Diego.

http://www.kusi.com/clip/13862964/what-the-sale-of-local-kfmb-tv-means-for-the-market

So KUSI had a follow up in regards to the KFMB sale. A few interesting points made by the radio commentator but most was bullshit based on speculation, though he claims they were from his "sources." B.S. If he had read this forum, he would have seen all of the potential suitors that TVNT members have mentioned in regards to possibly buying KFMB.

Also, pay close attention to the L3's and you will see they made a mistake.

The radio guy seems to believe that based on what he's heard, that CBS ends up with the station(s).

On a side note, why is McKinnon/KUSI soooooo interested in reporting this story? I mean, when KGTV was sold to Scripps, I don't recall them making such a big deal about it. Not sure if they're doing this to drive up the price for the station to help out the Kimmel's or as a big FU to them. Either way, i'm curious to see what McKinnon's end game is.

http://www.kusi.com/clip/13862964/what-the-sale-of-local-kfmb-tv-means-for-the-market

So KUSI had a follow up in regards to the KFMB sale. A few interesting points made by the radio commentator but most was bullshit based on speculation, though he claims they were from his "sources." B.S. If he had read this forum, he would have seen all of the potential suitors that TVNT members have mentioned in regards to possibly buying KFMB.

Also, pay close attention to the L3's and you will see they made a mistake.

The radio guy seems to believe that based on what he's heard, that CBS ends up with the station(s).

On a side note, why is McKinnon/KUSI soooooo interested in reporting this story? I mean, when KGTV was sold to Scripps, I don't recall them making such a big deal about it. Not sure if they're doing this to drive up the price for the station to help out the Kimmel's or as a big FU to them. Either way, i'm curious to see what McKinnon's end game is.

Perhaps they are wanting to sell and not happy that there's another station on the market?

Perhaps they are wanting to sell and not happy that there's another station on the market?

Maybe they’re afraid of new competition? With Sinclair coming to town, KUSI won’t have a virtual monopoly of being the local news station that panders to the right side of the political spectrum.

[quote name='Raymie']Perhaps they are wanting to sell and not happy that there's another station on the market?[/QUOTE] I don't think McKinnon wants to sell. I believe @Eat News has mentioned in the past that McKinnon has had offer for the station only to rebuff them. [quote name='TVIntheDesert']Maybe they’re afraid of new competition? With Sinclair coming to town, KUSI won’t have a virtual monopoly of being the local news station that panders to the right side of the political spectrum.[/QUOTE] I'm sure that's part of it. Although, KFMB's owner is a republican but the station is pretty straight down the middle, so McKinnon is not the only conservative tv owner in town. The fact that no other media outlet aside from FTVLive and KUSI have reported on the sale is pretty interesting.

[quote name='A3N'] The fact that no other media outlet aside from FTVLive and KUSI have reported on the sale is pretty interesting.[/QUOTE] Ghoulita finds it very interesting also... Something that was a very private affair over the last few months has suddenly turned into a very public "outing". Has a "pretty done deal" come undone on the way to the alter? Why the silence from @Eat News? Ghoulita needs answers.

[QUOTE="Eat News, post: 193881, member: 2985"]Ghoulita finds it very interesting also... Something that was a very private affair over the last few months has suddenly turned into a very public "outing". Has a "pretty done deal" come undone on the way to the alter? Why the silence from @Eat News? Ghoulita needs answers.[/QUOTE] If you notice in the video, they mention that negotiations are well underway, or something to that effect. I found that a bit surprising, given that from the way that KUSI broke the news last week, I was under the impression that KFMB was just beginning the process to find a suitor. Either way, if CBS really had a strong interest in acquiring KFMB, don't ya think they would have some kind of first dibs for the station as an affiliation clause? And if said interest was strong, they would have had the paperwork/deal signed and delivered already. Anywho, pretty interesting that this is all taking place after the acquisition of the CW affiliation. By all means, this is no coincidence...

Omana...

I bet know who Sully's source is...

(hint)

They used to do a morning show together on 1700am in 2004...2005...

Archived