NEW Hearst Graphics: Diagrad 2.0

LOWERCASE GUY

Looks like 40/29 still have the previous package BUT have new weather alert icon.

Interesting.

-- Matt

Which tells me that KHBS is getting close to debuting their new set (and with it will likely come with new graphics) however, KHBS could debut the new graphics before the new set debuts

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply
WISN got out the weather alert bar today; certainly looks so much better and compact than the old version (sorry for the HDHomerun artifacts on the cap at the right; it's wonky with the iOS beta for some reason).

That weather alert bar has been around for a while with the previous diagrid look. It's shocking to see that WISN is just now using it.

That weather alert bar has been around for a while with the previous diagrid look. It's shocking to see that WISN is just now using it.

I’m pretty sure it’s been used on WISN before and we discussed it.

As for the weather alert icons I wonder where they got the idea to use a yield type of design.

Which tells me that KHBS is getting close to debuting their new set (and with it will likely come with new graphics) however, KHBS could debut the new graphics before the new set debuts

40/29 has been using the weather impact icons before they went to their temporary set. They have been using the icons for a while now.

40/29 has been using the weather impact icons before they went to their temporary set. They have been using the icons for a while now.

Is there any particular reason why KHBS didn't debut the new graphics before they went to their temporary set? Just curious

Is there any particular reason why KHBS didn't debut the new graphics before they went to their temporary set? Just curious

This is now week 3 or 4 that they’ve been on the temp set. At that time only the NBC and CBS stations were using the new graphics. The ABC stations who debuted the new graphics were transitioned well after 40/29, who is an ABC affiliate, went to their temp set.

This is now week 3 or 4 that they’ve been on the temp set. At that time only the NBC and CBS stations were using the new graphics. The ABC stations who debuted the new graphics were transitioned well after 40/29, who is an ABC affiliate, went to their temp set.

So by the time everybody else gets the new graphics, KHBS will likely be the last Hearst-owned station to get the new look correct?

So by the time everybody else gets the new graphics, KHBS will likely be the last Hearst-owned station to get the new look correct?

I wouldn’t be surprised if WMUR is the last station to get the look. Or a butchered up version of the look.

— Matt

I wouldn’t be surprised if WMUR is the last station to get the look. Or a butchered up version of the look.

— Matt

Either way someone will be the last one to get the new graphics

Even as I say graphics are done with 4:3...I agree. The time/temp is a little bit too outside the 'safe area' of older HDTVs where you can't set them to pixel-by-pixel and they underscan at least 5-10% of the picture. ESPN does it right with the BottomLine even though it looks bulky pixel-by-pixel.

To clarify, the DTV converters hooked up to both Sylvanias are set to letterbox mode, so the underscan effect mentioned that occurs with older HD sets also happens with 4:3 letterboxing on SDTV sets not capable of scanning the entire picture.

So did KOCO, I don't know if KOCO will switch to the Diagrid 2.0 ticker for school closings or for the morning news as of yet (they probably will however)

No updated ticker on this morning's broadcast; in fact, KOCO did not include a news ticker at all. We'll see if they switch to the 2.0 ticker in the coming days, but if it's a no show for most of the week, I'll email the station to mention it.

Looks like 40/29 still have the previous package BUT have new weather alert icon.

Interesting.

-- Matt

It appears to be a designated icon to denote severe weather days. KOCO now uses it on its "5 + 5-Day Forecast," in addition to highlighting the day panels when severe weather is forecast to occur within Oklahoma as they have done since it switched the extended forecast to a 10-day format. There appears to be a similar yellow icon without a circle to denote other hazardous weather days with no expected severe weather.

WEB_7DAY.jpg?crop=1xw:1xh;center,top&resize=900:*

WISN got out the weather alert bar today; certainly looks so much better and compact than the old version (sorry for the HDHomerun artifacts on the cap at the right; it's wonky with the iOS beta for some reason).

KOCO has used that alert graphic for a couple of years now, but only on its MeTV subchannel for some reason (the Oklahoma state map it uses, though, is shown at the bottom of the screen instead of bordering the bar). The station still uses its eight-year-old map- and text-only alert graphic on its main channel.

Now it only leaves KMBC and KHBS/KHOG (I anticipate they'll get the new graphics next week).

Man, you'd think WMUR was the red-headed stepchild in Hearst's stations...

Archived