KTTC reporter fired for wearing Trump MAGA hat at rally

nomadcowatbk

He won’t be unemployed for long. Either Sinclair, OneAmerica News, NewsMax, CBN News, The Blaze or Fox News Channel will pick him up.

I know. Depressing. But that’s the age we live in.

— Matt

He won’t be unemployed for long. Either Sinclair, OneAmerica News, NewsMax, CBN News, The Blaze or Fox News Channel will pick him up.

— Matt

Reporters aren’t supposed to show bias. That’s one of the key rules of journalism. How are people supposed to believe he’s being impartial covering a Trump rally when he’s basically wearing a Trump hat. There’s nothing depressing about this situation. The reporter was just plain stupid.

How in the world then are most cable news anchors and reporters still employed? What's their secret ingredient... please share!?

I would love to discuss this...

However the discussion would be shut down the second somebody's feelings got hurt.

You really would think that a site that discusses TV news could have a real political discussion as it pertains to the journalistic side ...but that just is not possible here.

FWIW....the reporter was a complete bonehead...but J-schools now preach "advocacy journalism".....so he learned it was" ok" from somebody.

It's NOT "ok".

Story Time with Eat News

A TV reporter was assigned to cover a groundbreaking for a local non-profit that has obvious political leanings.

The ground breaking ceremony was to be attended by a bunch of local very partisan politoco's from various state, and local governments....union flaks and a bunch of other like- minded folks.

The event would feature speakers and the shoveling of dirt. The reporter see's the story as a "one stop shop" meaning all the vital elements of the reporters package (b-roll, interviews,etc.) will be at that location.

When our budding MMJ arrives they find it's a fenced off construction site with warnings at the gates that say HARD HAT REQUIRED.

The bouncy PR flack is at the gate to greet our reporter...

"Oh darling...I hope you have your hard hat...ha ha ha" she says...

"I don't have a hard hat"... replies our reporter, who is now wondering if they will be able to even cover this assignment because they don't have a hard hat in the trunk of the station Prius.

"Don't worry hun we will take care of you". (beware my little MMJ....beware)

The PR Spokeshole leads the reporter to a rental tent, where the reporter is relieved to find free food...and a table full of bright pink hard hats with the logo of the non-profit.

and yes...

The reporter wore the hard hat in the standup...

And nobody said a word about it.

Sorry to get political.

pphats.jpg.45c866a9d7af88cf06b146d119fa06c9.jpg

Story time with Eat News

A TV reporter was assigned to cover a groundbreaking for a local non-profit that has obvious political leanings.

The ground breaking ceremony was to be attended by a bunch of local very partisan politoco's from various state, and local governments....union flaks and a bunch of other like- minded folks.

The event would feature speakers and the shoveling of dirt. The reporter see's the story as a "one stop shop" meaning all the vital elements of the reporters package (b-roll, interviews,etc.) will be at that location.

When our budding MMJ arrives they find it's a fenced off construction site with warnings at the gates that say HARD HAT REQUIRED.

The bouncy PR flack is at the gate to greet our reporter...

"Oh darling...I hope you have your hard hat...ha ha ha" she says...

"I don't have a hard hat"... replies our reporter, who is now wondering if they will be able to even cover this assignment because they don't have a hard hat in the trunk of the station Prius.

"Don't worry hun we will take care of you". (beware my little MMJ....beware)

The PR Spokeshole leads the reporter to a rental tent, where the reporter is relieved to find free food...and a table full of bright pink hard hats with the logo of the non-profit.

and yes...

The reporter wore the hard hat in the standup...

And nobody said a word about it.

Sorry to get political.

[ATTACH=full]6601[/ATTACH]

I see exactly what non profit you’re talking about and the event the image came from was in Spokane.

— Matt

Agreed, he will probably end up at Sinclair HQ or cable news. But Quincy didn't want to put up with him at all.

Agreed, he will probably end up at Sinclair HQ or cable news. But Quincy didn't want to put up with him at all.

Or more likely, the local radio station (or in a nearby market) that carries the standard Premiere schedule will throw them on their no-effort 'local' morning show, where he can whine about every awful news story as 'commentary' to a declining audience of old people. They'll call it a get and mis-market it as him being 'censored' by the MSM.

.....but J-schools now preach "advocacy journalism".....so he learned it was" ok" from somebody.

I'm going to push back a bit on your notion of 'advocacy journalism'. While I can't speak about every school that teaches journalism and/or communications, based on my experience, no one ever taught, advocated or pushed any type of agenda (political or otherwise) nor did they suggested it was 'okay' in any setting whatsoever. As anyone who has studied journalism will tell you, there are certain journalistic tenets you learn and follow to the letter no matter what..24/7, 365.

Now if someone were to go against those fundamental 'tenets', they're likely doing so by their own accord. It's easy to blame the teacher when ultimately it's up to the student (i.e...personal responsibility for ones actions) to know what's right and wrong, appropriate, etc... It seems nowadays, an ever shrinking minority still cares about journalistic ethics while the majority (whether it's the owners, publishers, editors, NDs, etc..) could care less. What a shame...

imo..the guy should not have been fired...reprimanded for sure..suspended maybe, but not fired (unless there's more to this story).

The ironic thing is that the Quincy Herald Whig, their flagship paper, is very conservative.

Papers don’t really matter as people choose to subscribe. Where on TV there are limited options (even when there’s one paper) for service and more widely viewed so people expect more neutrality I think.

— Matt

He's not good looking enough for any of those outlets. Well, maybe Sinclair. They do trot Boris out there every day...

I'm going to push back a bit on your notion of 'advocacy journalism'. While I can't speak about every school that teaches journalism and/or communications, based on my experience, no one ever taught, advocated or pushed any type of agenda (political or otherwise) nor did they suggested it was 'okay' in any setting whatsoever. As anyone who has studied journalism will tell you, there are certain journalistic tenets you learn and follow to the letter no matter what..24/7, 365.

Now if someone were to go against those fundamental 'tenets', they're likely doing so by their own accord. It's easy to blame the teacher when ultimately it's up to the student (i.e...personal responsibility for ones actions) to know what's right and wrong, appropriate, etc... It seems nowadays, an ever shrinking minority still cares about journalistic ethics while the majority (whether it's the owners, publishers, editors, NDs, etc..) could care less. What a shame...

imo..the guy should not have been fired...reprimanded for sure..suspended maybe, but not fired (unless there's more to this story).

Yeah, not a single one of my professors taught us to be like that in any way.

This thread would been a no brained 10 years ago... even 5 but now it’s not. I don’t know who to blame for this, Trump, Social Media, Obama. He’s (KTTC reporter) not the only one who is doing this. Some of these reporters are liking certain things on Twitter that I would also equate to showing there support. A meteorologist for WAPT 16 has a lot of likes for support of now Supreme Court Justice Brett Kavanaugh where she basically likes all the ones that supports him and disses Dr. Ford. I’m not saying you can’t have an opinion, but I would have been mindful of what I put out. I don’t even work in news anymore and work for State Government and still monitor what I put on my timeline.

This thread would been a no brained 10 years ago... even 5 but now it’s not. I don’t know who to blame for this, Trump, Social Media, Obama. He’s (KTTC reporter) not the only one who is doing this. Some of these reporters are liking certain things on Twitter that I would also equate to showing there support. A meteorologist for KAPT 16 has a lot of likes for support of now Supreme Court Justice Brett Kavanaugh where she basically likes all the ones that supports him and disses Dr. Ford. I’m not saying you can’t have an opinion, but I would have been mindful of what I put out. I don’t even work in news anymore and work for State Government and still monitor what I put on my timeline.

Some people use likes on Twitter for bookmarking.

Archived