ABC 7 Eyewitness News thread

• 1 year later...

So Leslie Sykes has been missing for a while. With that in mind, I have found it interesting that Leslie Lopez has been the third anchor for mornings over the past couple of days. This whole time during Sykes’ absence they haven’t had a third anchor for the whole newscast.

• 1 month later...

And Alex Cheney is apparently gone? I couldn't tell you when, but when I saw her post, I checked to see that his bio was gone off the website.

• Thought-Provoking 1

• 2 months later...
20 minutes ago, TheNewsTV said:

Does Leslie Sykes only anchor the 6am hour in the morning?

Yeah, ever since her long hiatus a few months ago she only does the 6am hour a few days a week (plus the 7am online-only hour on those days).

Since John & Rachel were on at 4, but not on now, is the 7am co-anchor assignment a rotation, pairing Leslie & literally anybody? Also, Brianna is doing weather, not Leslie. Is that another 7am switchover, or is it either of them on any given day?

1 hour ago, 24994J said:

Since John & Rachel were on at 4, but not on now, is the 7am co-anchor assignment a rotation, pairing Leslie & literally anybody? Also, Brianna is doing weather, not Leslie. Is that another 7am switchover, or is it either of them on any given day?

Brianna starts her shift doing traffic at 5 and yeah, she does weather for the 7am hour (and also at 11). Anchoring at 7 is Leslie and/or one of the weekend morning talent (Marc/Tony/Irene).

• Thanks 1

They just showed the closing credits for the 11am news and they were using the 2012 theme briefly but halfway through the credits they changed it to the WABC theme that they are using now. I thought they were going to let the old one finish out like before but I guess that's not how this works.

3 hours ago, Encore 323 said:

They just showed the closing credits for the 11am news and they were using the 2012 theme briefly but halfway through the credits they changed it to the WABC theme that they are using now. I thought they were going to let the old one finish out like before but I guess that's not how this works.

It’s an end of an era for them. 

On 5/24/2024 at 3:04 PM, Encore 323 said:

And here it is. 2 different music packages used during one (extended) close:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/27/2024 at 2:51 AM, ns8401 said:

The second theme is arguably a lot catchier so it should be an upgrade. 

Its honestly too slow and just antiquated in my opinion and the theme just doesn't fit with LA. I honestly wish they even got rid of it here in NY.. It is a catchy  theme but it's been in use for 20+ years. Still shocked they switched to the WABC theme. So wild to me to hear the WABC bumper when watching the show haha.

Edited by Vlad
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, Vlad said:

Its honestly too slow and just antiquated in my opinion and the theme just doesn't fit with LA. I honestly wish they even got rid of it here in NY.. It is a catchy grewt theme but it's been in use for 20+ years. Still shocked they switched to the WABC theme. So wild to me to hear the WABC bumper when watching the show haha.

I grew up with that theme when WXYZ used it so it’s my all time favorite. Never mind the Action News using Eyewitness News music bit. It was when Bill Carey turned WXYZ into a pretty decent WABC imitation. 

I will say KABC’s presentation is a little breezy for the pace of the theme. 

Edited by ns8401

On 5/27/2024 at 10:14 AM, Vlad said:

Its honestly too slow and just antiquated in my opinion and the theme just doesn't fit with LA. I honestly wish they even got rid of it here in NY.. It is a catchy  theme but it's been in use for 20+ years. Still shocked they switched to the WABC theme. So wild to me to hear the WABC bumper when watching the show haha.

The WABC theme is still powerful and catchy... the bumper theme is still pretty good. The *only thing I'd want to see replace it is the return of Cool Hand Luke....the orchestral bumper theme for that was the best.

Edited by MediaZone4K
  • Like 4

22 hours ago, MediaZone4K said:

The WABC theme is still powerful and catchy... the bumper theme is still pretty good. The oy thing I'd want to see replace it it the return of Cool Hand Luke....the orchestral bumper theme for that was the best.

I guess WABC's theme and is ideally popular since they are the most watched station in the nation. So I get that. A lot of stations used it and now arguably the second most watched station in the nation is now on it haha. I just feel like the theme is too slow and heavy and doesn't capture the spirit of the Southland, in my opinion. It's not a bad theme but it's just so bizarre to hear it played there, I don't think I'll ever get over the music theme change haha. It just sounds way too serious, "rough and heavy," you know what I mean? It's Southern California, not New York. New York is hard, rough, tough, heavy and dark, gritty and fast. They should've kept the existing music as it was and not change it, at all. It doesn't make sense to me why they did that.

Southern California however is supposed to be smooth (except for the traffic 😆), the culture is a bit slower paced, chill, and bright and beautiful. Their previous theme captured that, the WABC theme is for WABC and should only be for WABC because that is the precedent that has been set. I know it sounds wild but it just does not fit to me. I hope they lose it sooner than later, haha.

It's just out of place and I understand its just a news theme and but the new theme is the identity of the station and that theme makes me think WABC and New York, not LA. Personally.. 😁

'Not to go offtopic, though, but I've always wondered, where does a station store the music anyway? Is it software that digitally controls all of the music or is everything just automated? Like does a person simply press a button that says "bumper" and we hear it? Or is each cut assigned a button, etc? I wish there was a behind the scenes of sorts that shows us how this stuff works haha.

I feel like it shouldn't be hard for them to implement more cuts sounds and variations, etc.. I still very dearly miss the New Generation KABC themes.. 😢, especially the morning theme that was so nice and fitting for them. I guess i'm admittedly a huge fanboy of these themes 😆

Edited by Vlad
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Vlad said:

I guess WABC is really catchy since a lot of stations used it and now arguably the second most watched station in the nation is now on it haha. I just feel like the theme is too slow and heavy and doesn't capture the spirit of the Southland, in my opinion. It's not a bad theme but its just still odd to hear it played there, I don't think i'll ever get over that change haha. It sounds too rough and heavy, you know what I mean? Its LA, not New York haha. New York is hard, heavy and dark, gritty, LA is smooth, chill and bright. Their previous theme really captured that, this one, just does not fit for me, I hope they loose it sooner than later, haha. Personally.. 😁

Not to go offtopic, though, but I've always wondered, where does a station store the music anyway? Is it software that digitally controls all of the music or is everything just automated? Like does a person simply press a button that says "bumper" and we hear it? Or is each cut assigned a button, etc? I wish there was a behind the scenes of sorts that shows us how this stuff works haha.

I feel like it shouldn't be hard for them to implement more cuts and sounds and variations, etc.. I still very dearly miss the New Generation KABC themes.. 😢, especially the morning theme that was so nice and fitting for them. I guess i'm admittedly a huge fanboy of these themes 😆

Yeah I feel you on that. LA's theme worked for LA.

• Like 1

I'm very surprised that they let the 2012 closing theme play out in full at the end 11am show today especially after what we saw last Friday. This theme, the breaking news theme, the weather theme, and sports are the only ones that KABC continues to use from it's recent past. At least it's not a 100% carbon copy of the flagship and big sister, WABC.

Edited by Encore 323