KTLA 5 News Thread

2 hours ago, SFTV said:

Just go it on TVNewscheck, god this is shocking this man was LA’s morning entertainment guy, some people tell me he do reports from LA to the San Diego audience. This was completely unforeseen mean we all go but this was very untimely.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/10/2024 at 9:31 PM, MorningNews said:

Goodness. This is unbelievable.

What makes Sam's passing all the more unbelievable is its absolute randomness. This was someone on our screens everyday, still very much relevant, had no visible signs of illness, and he wasn't that old. RIP to Sam. 

Edited by MediaZone4K

I am still shocked and saddened by the passing of Sam Rubin. As Frank Buckley said, Sam was KTLA. 

He had a genuine quality every time he was on air. I admired how he would call as he saw it, even at the risk of getting in trouble. If anything, I thought he gave the best insider perspective of the television news business by reporting on the comings and goings at rival stations. 

I remembered this particular story that he shared on his Facebook page about the time KABC's GM squashed his live interview with Regis and Kelly on KTLA's air. Nobody did more to lift up the curtain on the news business, and it seemed that he genuinely felt that the viewers deserved transparency when it comes to the people they invited into their homes regularly.

https://www.facebook.com/samrubinktla/posts/pfbid0BfA7XYxxkwqTFx6bacpcaz6tBaxuCH7WZXFF5f8kwnWraY6oZGjBH3NwgadkmaAil

On a personal note, I had the honor to meet him briefly at the LA Festival of Books at the KTLA booth and get a personalized autograph that I will cherish forever. I'm thankful I got to shake his hand and thank him for brightening up my mornings.

RIP Sam.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

It still feels surreal that Sam Rubin has passed away.  As a viewer of the "KTLA Morning News" since the 1990s, he was always one of the main reasons that I watched that newscast.  I will continue to watch, but it won't feel quite the same anymore.

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, trustno1 said:

Sam was a presence on Australian TV as well.  He used to file reports here on the goings on in showbiz.

Yes! I didn't realize how many countries he had an entertainment segment in.