Why does the 11 o'clock news end at 11:35??

Mrknowitall526

I've always wondered this, and never really found an answer... why exactly does the late news always last until 11:35? When did that tradition start, and why exactly?

And, in the Central time zone, does it end at 10:35, or do they do a full hour until 11?

I've always wondered this, and never really found an answer... why exactly does the late news always last until 11:35? When did that tradition start, and why exactly?

And, in the Central time zone, does it end at 10:35, or do they do a full hour until 11?

It ends at 32 or 33 after from coast to coast...

It ends at 32 or 33 after from coast to coast...

I know I can speak for WABC and WCBS and say the late local news ends at 11:35pm (the close starts at 11:34 but ends at 11:35), WNBC ends a minute earlier at 11:34 but goes directly to the Tonight Show, just a minute earlier.

I know I can speak for WABC and WCBS and say the late local news ends at 11:35pm (the close starts at 11:34 but ends at 11:35), WNBC ends a minute earlier at 11:34.

WPVI usually ends around 11:34 and shows 1 ad before Jimmy Kimmel starts.

So they dump right into the late programming with no ads?

Yes

The ad time is probably made up somewhere else. KCNC ends right at 10:35, but they have an ad break in the middle of sports (likely to give a perception that they're giving more airtime to sports, something stations often do), a break after sports, and then the last block is just ~15 seconds to cram in a forecast check and close. So from about 10:27 to 10:35, there's probably less than 3 minutes of actual programming. I got the impression when I've watched a full WCBS 11pm newscast that they do something similar. Of course, it can be different for every station everywhere.

Don't forget too that LLS and Late Night are often advertised to start at 12:37/11:37 as well.

WXYZ runs 75 seconds of commercials starting at 1133. WDIV runs 2 and a half minutes worth starting at 1132. WLS in Chicago gets out of their 10pm at 1032. I don't know if they got back into airing ads between ABC programming and their 10pm or not.

Not all newscasts start at :01 either.

I figured the shows started at 11:01 because a viewer called in and said they were running late.

KUSI -51 will often wait until 11:04 just to make sure all the viewers are seated and comfortable.

Why does the 11pm news now start at 11:01pm?

As far as 11:35pm???

Ask Johnny Carson.

Start times are based on the station.

Our CBS affiliate starts their early news at 11:00:00.

The NBC station I work for starts our late news at 11:00:50 because we have Powerball and Mega Millions drawings.

The same CBS station station ends their morning news cast at 6:58:40 in order to have a local break and station ID prior to CBS This Morning.

My show on the NBC Station ends at 7:00:04 because we opted to roll straight into "Today".

The short answer to start and end times is it depends on how much advertising times the general manager wants. As for 11:35, I'll do some asking around.

Here WJZ rolls right into latenight (but often automation cuts the last words off), WBAL airs a minute of ads, WMAR runs two - three.

I'm a bit curious as why WBFF essentially ends their broadcast at 23:35. Officially the news portion ends at 23:30 and then until 23:35 is their sports show which is just three minutes of actual content. They list the sports portion as a separate show in the TV listings. You would think from a scheduling perspective having a half hour would be easier to handle and schedule (if you set your DVR for shows that air after their newscast you will frequently miss the first two to four minutes of the show.)

As for the start times of the shows WBAL starts on the dot at 22:59:30; WMAR and WJZ roll at 23:01; and WBFF frequently starts before 23:00 as their lead in is another newscast.

The NBC station I work for starts our late news at 11:00:50 because we have Powerball and Mega Millions drawings.

WBAL airs the Power Ball, Mega Millions and MD Lottery drawings right after weather and custom Late Night/Tonight tags. I think the actual drawings are a minute long. I don't see any difference in their ad time because after all they're paid (in 2006 they made $2.1mn/year contract, in 2011 they reduced their price to $1.1mn/yr and if MD Lottery renews their contract this month WBAL stands to make $1.65mn/yr for two years) to broadcast the drawings. Additionally the local drawings are done by their radio personalities so they get a little promotion. The only time they ever air the national drawings live is when it's a record breaking jackpot.

With the permission or blessings of Johnny Carson ...

The network gave back 5 mins to the affiliates in the fall of 91 for local avails.

The other networks soon followed.

That's the 3000w Alameda version. The 30rock version may differ saying Carson didn't care either way because he was retiring in 1992.

That was the last time any network gave ANY thing back to the affiliates.

NBC themselves gave a daytime slot back to the affiliates in 2000 after Sunset Beach was canceled, and ABC gave back a daytime slot in 2012 (the one that had been filled by the failed "The Revolution" and the temporary solution "Good Afternoon America"). But other than that, I can't think of anything.

The early start to late afternoon/evening shows out of syndicated programming is a stunt to keep the viewer from tuning away during the terminal commercial break.

When I was at Fox 26, then ND Tom Doerr had sales & programming reconfigure the last segment of "Judge Judy" so the 5:00 news began as soon as the program ended.

Before, there was a short break (maybe 45 sec) between the judgement and the interviews/end credits. After, the break before the judgement is announced was extended.

The 5pm also gets a slight ratings bump by being "in programming" for longer.

On the morning news, all of the shows (with the exception of 4am) are required to start between 00:59 & 00:59:30 in order to take advantage of this Nielsen rule.

I have heard regular people ask before why the night news starts a minute late. In Houston KTRK ends right at 11:35 but they take a break at 11:32. KPRC(NBC) ends at 11:33 and usually goes to The Tonight Show early.

One thing I've always wondered is why some stations particularly KTRK, has their time bug during every other newscast except the late night news? Is there a strategy behind this?

I have heard regular people ask before why the night news starts a minute late. In Houston KTRK ends right at 11:35 but they take a break at 11:32. KPRC(NBC) ends at 11:33 and usually goes to The Tonight Show early.

One thing I've always wondered is why some stations particularly KTRK, has their time bug during every other newscast except the late night news? Is there a strategy behind this?

There could be.... Maybe to keep people from focusing on it? How many stations can you think of that don't use time/temp outside of mornings for any newscasts except for bad weather (like sub zero temps)?

WXYZ and WDIV don't but most every other station seems to always use them. Nice to know somebody else doesn't at some point.

Archived