WFXT new graphics

William1111

That's what I thought when I first saw it. The space at the top of the logo definitely looks like it's made for 4 letters.

Maybe with FOX 25 being all around the set, the FOX lettering is just temporary until the set is completely defoxified.

That would explain it. I would still go with a different typeface, however.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wanted to weigh in since I don't think I've heard a positive thing about this change at all... I was bored, and curious, so I started messing with the new logo. To me, adding the actual FOX logo in makes a big difference (for the horizontal logo at least)... I also added the old "25" into the new logo... By the time I was done playing with the horizontal logo, I just gave up on the vertical one... that one needs a big change.

LogoCompare.jpg.7923e6aa74bd68873bd7b3b9b6cb012e.jpg

And a reminder what the old logo looked like, not that we need it...

LogoCompare2.jpg.2897c2d48cc05d3121b13baf01a23fce.jpg

I can't find the old horizontal logo, but it was pretty much like the horizontal one, but with FOX to the left of the 25.

And, for those curious, here's a montage of the graphics in action...

That has to be the worst logo in nation right now! There is so much wrong with it I can't even start on what is wrong with it.... Wait I can... THE WHOLE THING... Burn it with heavy amounts of fire and holy water!

Yes, for a top 10 media market, it's bad. But sorry, this is the still the worst logo in the entire US.

KIEM_Main_Logo.png

Let's turn this around... Who has the best logo in America?

WSVN, hands down.

It's distinctive, dynamic, has been relatively unchanged for 32 years (the circle 7 itself was used as early as the 1970s during the WCKT era) and is immediately identifiable in the market. When you see that red 7 in Miami, you know it's WSVN.

What other logo comes close?

latest?cb=20101105170423

To me, the best logo in the nation is WPVI's.

I may be biased here, but this logo is iconic for many reasons.

It has been utilized a few years before the 1971 call sign change from WFIL in 1967, and hasn't largely changed since; Many viewers recognize it the microsecond they see it; It's so distinctive in the design, it's almost iconic; And despite the change in the look around the number, the number has stayed the same.

My favorite version of the logo was during the late 90s and all of the 2000s (really, the change to the current version occurred in 2010), with a red version of the ABC logo.

It's been a huge part of my childhood, a reason I kept the station in it, and still is a very fond memory to me.

It would've be a crime then to change it, and it's obviously never going to change now.

I just love this logo.

I'm in the minority (probably of one), but I like the new logo and the graphics. At least they, WJAX/WFOX, and WHBQ use the 7 day forecast. How come all the other stations still the 5 day with the "
in View?"

P.S. I hate those four words.

Weekend Always In View is a staple of Cox newscasts.

WSVN, hands down.

It's distinctive, dynamic, has been relatively unchanged for 32 years (the circle 7 itself was used as early as the 1970s during the WCKT era) and is immediately identifiable in the market. When you see that red 7 in Miami, you know it's WSVN.

What other logo comes close?

Thank you for liking my favorite station's logo. Its a big part of my default picture. ^_^

I was sad when I learned that Cox was taking over FOX 25. I knew they would ruin them (Cox is not a good fit for a FOX station), and I was right. This is what I was afraid of. AND I CAN'T BELIEVE THEY GOT RID OF MARIA STAFONOS (if her saying she's leaving for career oportunities is a cover up), she was the face of FOX 25 and was the perfect fit.

I was sad when I learned that Cox was taking over FOX 25. I knew they would ruin them (Cox is not a good fit for a FOX station), and I was right. This is what I was afraid of. AND I CAN'T BELIEVE THEY GOT RID OF MARIA STAFONOS (if her saying she's leaving for career oportunities is a cover up), she was the face of FOX 25 and was the perfect fit.

*Maria Stephanos. And who knows, maybe she'll end up with David Wade and WBZ-TV 4?

Before Fox forced them to give it up KTVU was probably the highest rated Fox station in the country. Their newscasts regularly beat their O&O competitors and they were the number 2 station in terms of revenue in the market (they may have even been #1 in terms of revenue, memory is fuzzy).

So this theory that "COX and FOX don't work" is plain nonsense. Is the logo ugly? Yes. However viewers don't watch a station based on it's logo (if that was the case WCSC would be rated dead last), they watch based off of the content produced. Cox has a history of making stations market leaders and I suspect that they will make WFXT a force to be reckoned with.

Before Fox forced them to give it up KTVU was probably the highest rated Fox station in the country. Their newscasts regularly beat their O&O competitors and they were the number 2 station in terms of revenue in the market (they may have even been #1 in terms of revenue, memory is fuzzy).

So this theory that "COX and FOX don't work" is plain nonsense. Is the logo ugly? Yes. However viewers don't watch a station based on it's logo (if that was the case WCSC would be rated dead last), they watch based off of the content produced. Cox has a history of making stations market leaders and I suspect that they will make WFXT a force to be reckoned with.

And if I recall, there was a point earlier in the year where WFXT was actually leading in the ratings at 10pm and 11pm (although short lived) so Cox has the potential to make WFXT very successful. I do agree that the logo and some of their staffing moves have been very dumb. But the graphics do work and would look fine even if they stuck with the old logo like what WHBQ ended up doing.

And how can you ruin something that was in 3rd or 4th place anyways?

That's the dark side of COX. They haven't had to totally re-design a station logo for YEARS since many of their stations (WFTV, WSB, WHIO, WSOC, etc...) are well-established brands.

Then again, they've done decent jobs on their other major-market efforts....their "ground up" logos for WRDQ and WAXN are at least passable in comparision to what they've done with WFOX/WJAX and WFXT.

Remember that KFOX was a Cox station before they sold them off. Here's their prior logo.

Kfox_2008.png

At least they redesigned the logo to put the actual "FOX" logo in it.

Forgive me if I am repeating anything that has already been said, I stopped reading this thread because a lot of it is uninformed, inane BS as usual.

Everyone needs to settle down, it's just a [bad] logo. Lots of stations have bad logos, it doesn't make it a bad station. Chalk it up to an inexperienced graphics department and station management that is indifferent to design. They don't know any better and CMG doesn't really have a great track record of corporate marketing leadership. They recycle a lot of ideas and phrases between stations that have been researched and tested to death, but it doesn't get much deeper than that when it comes to cosmetics. Same deal in Jacksonville. They blew up talent and focused on content. Who cares about the design? Same deal in Tulsa -- they did another copy/paste job, taking KTVU management and ideas and running with that gameplan (and another poorly designed logo and another discounted Hothaus package from another Cox property).

It's kinda funny in a way, the new look of WFXT reminds me a bit of every time you see a fake TV station in a movie, with a very basic, poorly designed logo and a newscast open with massive type.

Bottom line: don't read too much into it. Don't expect a branding change that would phase out the network, don't expect it to become an NBC affiliate... or whatever other conspiracy theory is floating out there. Chalk it up to inexperience and indifference to design.

Archived