NBC O&O Graphics (2016 Look N)

jb542

Yeah, I think WCAU needs to go back to the 360 theme. It is an amazing theme that only 1 station uses. It sounded much better on NBC 10 than LA Groove which is in desperate need of an update. It isn't a bad package, but I'm kind of getting tired of it. When KNSD gets these graphics, they should get the WTVJ 2012 Theme, it would fit San Diego much better than LA Groove. It has more of a SoCal vibe.

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply
KNTV Yet?

Not as of this morning.

Someone a while back mentioned that a different logo / bug briefly popped briefly during a KNSD newscast in the run up to their move. I wonder if that bug matches the style of these graphics.

Not as of this morning.

Someone a while back mentioned that a different logo / bug briefly popped briefly during a KNSD newscast in the run up to their move. I wonder if that bug matches the style of these graphics.

Didn't that person say it was left-alligned on the screen?

This was back in March. The 7 was larger than it currently is, inside the same translucent dark box that WNBC uses. The only difference from then to now, is that the time and temp are side by side versus being stacked.

I noticed last night and this morning the top thin white line seems to be gone. It looks much better without it and they still have the animation for the Gannett, oops, Tegna style coming up strip or title strips. Hopefully it not just a weekend thing.

KXAS just got their new graphics today!

Hello, TexasTVNews. Interesting. Let's hope that WMAQ NBC 5 Chicago, KNBC 4 Los Angeles, KNTV NBC Bay Area, KNSD NBC 7 San Diego, and WCAU NBC 10 Philadelphia would be next.

UPDATE: WMAQ NBC 5 Chicago has updated its graphics as well.

Did KXAS have a 10-day forecast before?? Can't remember

A lot of the NBCUni stations are now doing 10 day forecasts. I assume they are getting better models from WSI and now WeatherUnderground (whose logo now pop up during forecasts). I can't imagine the time it would take local meteorologists to work out forecasts for different zones - especially when they give forecasts for different regions.

A lot of the NBCUni stations are now doing 10 day forecasts. I assume they are getting better models from WSI and now WeatherUnderground

Maybe, but still no.

Days 1-3 are just about spot-on.

Days 4-5 are reasonably close.

Days 6-7 are polite suggestions.

Days 8-10 are a total, complete, roll-of-the-dice crap shoot.

A lot of the NBCUni stations are now doing 10 day forecasts. I assume they are getting better models from WSI and now WeatherUnderground (whose logo now pop up during forecasts). I can't imagine the time it would take local meteorologists to work out forecasts for different zones - especially when they give forecasts for different regions.

Let me tell you something, those 10 day forecasts are a total farce. Also, they aren't "getting" better models from WSI. WSI simply interfaces with the same models the National Weather Service uses. They might, MIGHT, have some unique model that uses a slightly different algorithm than the standard ones, otherwise it's nothing that unique. Same goes for Baron. If the National Weather Service isn't issuing 10-day forecasts with exact detail, there's no reason at all to believe that WSI or WeatherUnderground is able to themselves. Even 7 days out is a crapshoot.

While meteorological forecasts are more accurate today than they've ever been, they are not SO accurate that the forecasting industry deems 10-day forecasts are felt as "necessary." The 10-days on the NBC O&Os is likely nothing more than a corporate decision influenced by some weird focus group.

Let me tell you something, those 10 day forecasts are a total farce. Also, they aren't "getting" better models from WSI. WSI simply interfaces with the same models the National Weather Service uses. They might, MIGHT, have some unique model that uses a slightly different algorithm than the standard ones, otherwise it's nothing that unique. Same goes for Baron. If the National Weather Service isn't issuing 10-day forecasts with exact detail, there's no reason at all to believe that WSI or WeatherUnderground is able to themselves. Even 7 days out is a crapshoot.

While meteorological forecasts are more accurate today than they've ever been, they are not SO accurate that the forecasting industry deems 10-day forecasts are felt as "necessary." The 10-days on the NBC O&Os is likely nothing more than a corporate decision influenced by some weird focus group.

I participated in one of those focus groups last year -- most of the non-scientifically inclined folks didn't or don't understand that the forecast is nothing more than a guesstimation outside of days 4 & 5, but still liked it "for planning purposes". There were a few people there (out of the 50 or so in my group, I'd say about 5 or 6) who despite this, even believed in "the power of the meteorologist" meaning they had a higher likelihood of "predicting the forecast".

Most of the time though , it's just a marketing ploy by the station (i.e. NBCDFW is calling it the NBC5+5 forecast, playing off of the NBC 5 station branding.)

Archived