Three Person Anchor Teams

MonkeyFighter

WKMG Orlando has two three-person anchor teams. The morning news has anchors Justin Warmoth, Bridgett Ellison, and Kirstin O'Connor. At 4p & 7p it's Julie Broughton, Lisa Bell, and Ginger Gadsden.

The look really stands out. Are there any other stations that do this, where the three anchors have equal billing and all sit at the desk?

image.thumb.jpeg.9d3478f624a47fa6557e426a7a131584.jpeg

WKMG Orlando has two three-person anchor teams. The morning news has anchors Justin Warmoth, Bridgett Ellison, and Kirstin O'Connor. At 4p & 7p it's Julie Broughton, Lisa Bell, and Ginger Gadsden.

The look really stands out. Are there any other stations that do this, where the three anchors have equal billing and all sit at the desk?

As far as I'm aware... no. The only close thing is WSVN having three anchors in the morning but rotate between all three and use a two-person format.

Btw... is that Greg Warmoth's son?

As far as I'm aware... no. The only close thing is WSVN having three anchors in the morning but rotate between all three and use a two-person format.

Btw... is that Greg Warmoth's son?

Yes it is.

WISN uses a three anchor team on their late newscast (Kathy Mykelby, Joyce Garbaciak, and Patrick Paolantonio), but the only time all three are at the desk is for the show close. The rest of the time, Patrick does stand-ups from around the studio. In the talent open, all three receive equal billing.

Doesn't WLS still have the three anchor person team at 10pm? Krashesky, Brock and Burton.

Burton's always been the 3rd wheel. Magers/Krashesky and Brock get alternating top billing, then Cheryl. While she backs up Kathy, she rarely fills in for the male anchor, anymore.

KGW has 3 anchors for their morning news. One just left but I think they will be replacing him.

At the risk of this becoming a list thread, the three anchor morning team must be a Gannett idea. I believe KUSA's show is the exact same thing.

To me, three anchors looks really clunky and doesn't make much sense. Only in national ensemble formats like on CBS or Morning Joe does it work.

KTVU does this for their 9am and 7pm. But with the Departure of Keba Arnold last Saturday, I'm not sure who will replace her for 7pm unless they went back to 2 anchors.

This is nothing new; the idea comes from a consultant who thinks it genius to add another person to the anchor roll. KPRC/Channel 2 in Houston, had Bill Balleza/ former anchor Linda Lorelle & Dominique Sachse on their 10PM News and the same for WMAR/Channel 2 in Baltimore had Mary Beth Marsden, Brian Wood and Denise Dory doing the 11PM News that was in the late 2000s

As time went on both stations dumped having the trio doing the late news and went back to the male/female couple.

Well if you include meteorologists, WOOD-TV has 2 anchors and 2 meteorologists weekday mornings... Why in the world they feel they need to use Terri DeBoer AND Matt Kirkwood from 4:30-7:00 is beyond me... Way overdone on weather...

For several years that's how it was at WBAL weekday mornings with the male meteorologist in the studio and a female one interviewing someone in the field who would just sum up the day's weather before tossing it back for an entire complete forecast. Seems like a waste of talent and money.

Three anchors is a bit much. I think there'd be more jealousy and cat fights behind the scenes where they would make sure each gets the same amount of air time.

At the risk of this becoming a list thread, the three anchor morning team must be a Gannett idea. I believe KUSA's show is the exact same thing.

To me, three anchors looks really clunky and doesn't make much sense. Only in national ensemble formats like on CBS or Morning Joe does it work.

It looks like a forced lesson in diversity.

What happens when the black anchor is sick. Do the toss in another white...or just go with 2 anchors...or is another black on hot standby?

You think i'm joking, but these questions WILL come up in house.

Now that we got the race stuff out of the way...

Is this practical?

I guess so, heck talent is cheap nowdays so if you want to spend money on a 3 person team then go for it. Do it just to say "you did".

I'ts kinda like those razors with 4 blades, can 3 blades do the same?

It looks like a forced lesson in diversity.

What happens when the black anchor is sick. Do the toss in another white...or just go with 2 anchors...or is another black on hot standby?

You think i'm joking, but these questions WILL come up in house.

Now that we got the race stuff out of the way...

Is this practical?

I guess so, heck talent is cheap nowdays so if you want to spend money on a 3 person team then go for it. Do it just to say "you did".

I'ts kinda like those razors with 4 blades, can 3 blades do the same?

WKMG doesn't bring in anyone to fill in if one of the three anchors is out. The other two just handle things.

As to the 'diversity' claim, Bridgett Ellison has been on the morning show for some time now. Kristin was only added as a third anchor last week.

Well if you include meteorologists, WOOD-TV has 2 anchors and 2 meteorologists weekday mornings... Why in the world they feel they need to use Terri DeBoer AND Matt Kirkwood from 4:30-7:00 is beyond me... Way overdone on weather...

The dual morning met thing seems to be the latest fad. KCTV, KSHB, and (I believe) KMBC all have two mets in the morning. For KSHB at least, they alternate who's presenting. Kalee Dionne might do main weather, followed by Nicole Phillips doing the next tease plus the next main weather segment, with Kalee providing the next tease...etc. Not exactly like that though.

At KCTV, Lisa Teachman primarily does traffic, which is odd that they have two mets but assign one to traffic.

KTLA runs with two weather anchors in the morning. Their morning show runs from 4am-10am. Henry DiCarlo goes from 4-7am, and Mark Kriski goes from 7am-10am. I believe Henry does all six hours if Mark is off. Mark won't reciprocate if Henry is off. I think this was due to his health issues he had a few years ago. Not sure if two weather personalities is needed in the morning here in Los Angeles where the weather is consistent most of the year.

KTTV does something similar in the morning as well. Their show starts at 4:30am. From 4:30-6am they get weather from their meteorologist who doubles as the traffic reporter in the chopper. At 6am, Maria Quiban comes in at goes all the way til 10am. Again, overkill in my opinion in a market that rarely has severe weather. It is more of a personality driven market.

KTLA runs with two weather anchors in the morning. Their morning show runs from 4am-10am. Henry DiCarlo goes from 4-7am, and Mark Kriski goes from 7am-10am. I believe Henry does all six hours if Mark is off. Mark won't reciprocate if Henry is off. I think this was due to his health issues he had a few years ago. Not sure if two weather personalities is needed in the morning here in Los Angeles where the weather is consistent most of the year.

KTTV does something similar in the morning as well. Their show starts at 4:30am. From 4:30-6am they get weather from their meteorologist who doubles as the traffic reporter in the chopper. At 6am, Maria Quiban comes in at goes all the way til 10am. Again, overkill in my opinion in a market that rarely has severe weather. It is more of a personality driven market.

That's different. Many stations with 5-6 hour broadcasts do that. Many of the others being mentioned only go til 7am with 2 mets. I know some stations go with 2, but many of them do traffic, as well (WPVI comes to my mind).

Maria Quiban starts her weather duties at 5am (not 6am). She's also on the station's 10am broadcasts.

Going back on topic, when WTTV started its CBS affiliation at the start of '15, they hired Marianne Lyles & Tim Doty to anchor the morning broadcast. That very August, it added WXIN reporter Nicole Pence as co-anchor and made it a three-anchor team.

WBNS tried this after Dave Kaylor retired in 2005.

Angela Pace stuck around her slot while Jerry Revish and Andrea Cambern were added to his shows to round things out.

This lasted until Angela Pace stepped down the following year to become community relations director for the station.

Only Jerry Revish is still there after Cambern stepped down in 2011.

That's different. Many stations with 5-6 hour broadcasts do that. Many of the others being mentioned only go til 7am with 2 mets. I know some stations go with 2, but many of them do traffic, as well (WPVI comes to my mind).

Was just going to say that ... WPVI has Karen Rogers doing light weather things and the traffic, while David Murphy does the main forecasts. When David is off, Karen does the weather and the PM traffic reporter Matt Pellman comes in. Matt also fills in when Karen is off.

At first I thought it was strange like 12+ years ago when they did that, but it really works well now.

WISN uses a three anchor team on their late newscast (Kathy Mykelby, Joyce Garbaciak, and Patrick Paolantonio), but the only time all three are at the desk is for the show close. The rest of the time, Patrick does stand-ups from around the studio. In the talent open, all three receive equal billing.

They also have the three-person setup in the morning with Melinda Davenport and Ben Wagner at the desk and Tim Elliott rotating around breaking news and other topics. However that has much more to do with Chase Cain's 'taking my ball and going home' (or whatever it was that saw him leave after only two months; they never said) last year that imploded all their original plans after Patrick moved to the evenings, since Melinda hadn't fronted mornings for very long, so they had to expand the 'breaking news desk' role for Tim to get her established. So far it's ended up working much better for them. I'm shocked that Cain ended up at KNBC though.

I agree it does look clunky. After KGW refreshed their main studio last year, they do most of their newscasts in a standing position. The desk was put on wheels and is only used occasionally.

For their morning show, the 3 anchors stand at a table and for many shots are joined by the weather and traffic people, so it's 5 people standing at the table....

[MEDIA=twitter]752858572627795973[/MEDIA]

Archived