Fox Television Stations - General Thread

ColDayNews

• 4 weeks later...

I'm not suprised there will be comments or a hearing, but I don't see it going anywhere as it is just a dog & pony show. Fox has answered MAD's questions they lied saying that Fox didn't answer their questions they just didn't like the answer that Fox gave.  

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
Posted (edited)

Anchor Steve Eager basically says "despite claiming his hands were tied for years regarding border security a looming election likely changed President Biden's mind..." during a report on Biden's new executive order.

I know this is a Fox O&O and it's Texas but I'm still surprised to have this level of editorialization (wether or not it may be true) written into the script on local news. Typicay you'd get this as an adlib from anchors like Rosanna Scotto in NYC, and we don't even have to mention cable news. 

If I repost content from a local Fox station, I end up having to explain to people bias is generally centered at the Fox News Channel not really on the local level but this doesn't help lol.

Note: this is not a critique on political policy or viewpoints just an observation on inserting editorial language into a newscast.

Edited by MediaZone4K
  • Like 2

Nothing new for Steve Eager, he’s allowed his own commentary to bleed into the news for quite a while now. Similar to what Bill Ritter does at WABC.

In both instances the hubris of Steve and Bill to assume viewers care about their opinions rather than just the news is off the charts.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, MediaZone4K said:

Anchor Steve Eager basically says "despite claiming his hands were tied for years regarding border security a looming election likely changed President Biden's mind..." during a report on Biden's new executive order.

I know this is a Fox O&O and it's Texas but I'm still surprised to have this level of editorialization (wether or not it may be true) written into the script on local news. Typicay you'd get this as an adlib from anchors like Rosanna Scotto in NYC, and we don't even have to mention cable news. 

If I repost content from a local Fox station, I end up having to explain to people bias is generally centered at the Fox News Channel not really on the local level but this doesn't help lol.

Note: this is not a critique on political policy or viewpoints just an observation on inserting editorial language into a newscast.

I'm not familiar with Steve Eager's work, but I'm not a fan of this practice either.

Granted, commentary is fine when it's a clearly labeled editorial (or when it's an offbeat newscast like "Next" at KUSA). And I know Bill Beutel at WABC occasionally inserted some mild commentary (ex: John Gotti "can only look at the moon through jailhouse bars"), but I don't think he ever waded into politics to this degree. Generally, there's a time and place for editorializing and commentary, and the middle of a supposedly impartial newscast isn't it IMHO.

Edited by nycnewsjunkie
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, nycnewsjunkie said:

I'm not familiar with Steve Eager's work, but I'm not a fan of this practice either.

Granted, commentary is fine when it's a clearly labeled editorial (or when it's an offbeat newscast like "Next" at KUSA). And I know Bill Beutel at WABC occasionally inserted some mild commentary (ex: John Gotti "can only look at the moon through jailhouse bars"), but I don't think he ever waded into politics to this degree. Generally, there's a time and place for editorializing and commentary, and the middle of a supposedly impartial newscast isn't it IMHO.

Well Steve Edgar of FOX4 in Dallas I assume he's Republican just as I assume journalist Bill Ritter at ABC7 

in New York is a Democrat. They're both have worked hard enough to have an opinion, FTVLive did a story and I don't believe everything they say on that site but Scott wrote a story after the 1/6 capitol insurrection of a former KDFW reporter calling Steve out over something on Twitter I can't remember what it was about though. I'll try to find it.

1 hour ago, MediaZone4K said:

While we're here, when is KDFW gonna update their 2006 era set? It's perhaps the worst in the group at this point...(WAGA's heavy blue set isn't fantastic either). 

KDFW is never gonna update their set. I'm convinced they’re in a competition with New York for the longest to have never changed their set. Of course, WNYW got a New set in phases in 2019, it wasn't reported on by The Other Site, but i'm convinced KDFW is trying to have the oldest news set in the world.

Edited by GraphicsMan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, GraphicsMan said:

Well Steve Edgar of FOX4 in Dallas I assume he's Republican just as I assume journalist Bill Ritter at ABC7 

in New York is a Democrat. They're both have worked hard enough to have an opinion, FTVLive did a story and I don't believe everything they say on that site but Scott wrote a story after the 1/6 capitol insurrection of a former KDFW reporter calling Steve out over something on Twitter I can't remember what it was about though. I'll try to find it.

KDFW is never gonna update their set. I'm convinced they’re in a competition with New York for the longest to have never changed their set. Of course, WNYW got a New set in phases in 2019, it wasn't reported on by The Other Site, but i'm convinced KDFW is trying to have the oldest news set in the world.

I would respectfully disagree.  I like what I've seen of Steve's personality, but seniority isn't a pass to insert editorialism as fact. Keep tonality neutral and as others have said, if you insist on giving your opinion, have a clearly labeled commentary segment. In this divided age where we have so many pundits, clear concise and non biased information is important. 

Edited by MediaZone4K
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, MediaZone4K said:

While we're here, when is KDFW gonna update their 2006 era set? It's perhaps the worst in the group at this point...(WAGA's heavy blue set isn't fantastic either). 

It’s pretty bad. The building itself is a Soviet looking warehouse just outside of downtown Dallas. They have to have some sort of long term plan for updating that space.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, MorningNews said:

It’s pretty bad. The building itself is a Soviet looking warehouse just outside of downtown Dallas. They have to have some sort of long term plan for updating that space.

Fox is pretty well-known for their old and decaying buildings they run their stations out of.  WNYW had issues several years back and even had carbon monoxide issues in their live trucks. 

Not to mention WHBQ in Memphis, which was so terrible that when Cox got the station, they basically overhauled it from the inside out.

I can only imagine if Fox still had WJW, if they would still be on their 2007 set.  Although, it seems that the prior set and current one were parting gifts before ownership change.   Local TV took over shortly after the 2007 set and Nexstar took over shortly after Tribune put in the 2019 set....

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, tyrannical bastard said:

Fox is pretty well-known for their old and decaying buildings they run their stations out of.  WNYW had issues several years back and even had carbon monoxide issues in their live trucks. 

Not to mention WHBQ in Memphis, which was so terrible that when Cox got the station, they basically overhauled it from the inside out.

I can only imagine if Fox still had WJW, if they would still be on their 2007 set.  Although, it seems that the prior set and current one were parting gifts before ownership change.   Local TV took over shortly after the 2007 set and Nexstar took over shortly after Tribune put in the 2019 set....

Speaking of building conditions at Fox O&O's FTV live suggested (make of that what you will) anchor Christina Park left WNYW out of frustration with building conditions/construction. 

https://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2018/5/18/new-york-anchor-quits-fox-oo

Edited by MediaZone4K

On 6/5/2024 at 5:42 PM, MediaZone4K said:

On 6/6/2024 at 6:01 AM, MorningNews said:

The few times I've seen their newsroom on air, it looks worse IMO than the news set does.  Lots of wires that should be hidden, ceiling tiles not completely in place or missing, just sad looking--especially in comparison to the other local newsgatherers.

• Like 3

On 6/6/2024 at 9:16 AM, tyrannical bastard said:

And those are just the ones you know about! 🤫

On 6/6/2024 at 11:16 AM, tyrannical bastard said:

My Fox Station and former O&O WDAF-TV (Channel 4) in Kasnas City, have been in the same building since 1949, and it's in pretty good condition.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, east-tx-tv said:

The few times I've seen their newsroom on air, it looks worse IMO than the news set does.  Lots of wires that should be hidden, ceiling tiles not completely in place or missing, just sad looking--especially in comparison to the other local newsgatherers.

KXAS (not surprisingly for an NBC o&o) is the best looking station in the market.

• Like 2

WAGA's Sharon Lawson is leaving Good Day Atlanta after 7 years. The reasoning is not clear but her Instagram post says it was her decision. The Atlanta Journal Constitution article notes that two other veteran newscasters left the station after accepting company buyouts. Sucks! Sharon was okay. 

Welp...this is a creative way to reach a younger audience lol.

Edited by MediaZone4K