Could NBC collapse altogether?

StabelliA

We know NBC is not doing well right now. Ratings are down. Many people have gloomy outlooks for the network's future. If it even has one to begin with. Heck, last year it was beat by Univision. NBC was once the symbol for excellence in broadcasting. The Peacock stood for something great. Now, it's nothing more than a joke. Could The National Broadcasting Company collapse and cease broadcasting altogether? Or can the network turn around it's bad luck, so that it can have a future? Will NBC go the way of the Dumont Network? Sure, the Voice might give NBC a lift, but it can't sustain the entire network.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NBC is resurgent this year.

Networks go through cycles of ups and downs. In the mid-90s it seemed like CBS would hit rock bottom. It wasn't five years until they returned to the top.

Oh yes, and there is no way a major network (save The CW, which I seriously think may break up in 2016 upon the end of the network's charter 10-year contracts) would end today. It's not just the network, it's the media empire.

I'm actually pretty sure that ABC, not NBC, is the lowest rated of the "big four" networks, partially because NBC is buoyed by ratings blockbusters like Sunday Night Football and The Voice. At the same time, ABC's "hit" series like Dancing With the Stars and The Bachelor have been progressively dropping, and their midseason replacement series have premiered to nones of people watching. I'd be more worried about the future of ABC, not NBC.

I'm actually pretty sure that ABC, not NBC, is the lowest rated of the "big four" networks, partially because NBC is buoyed by ratings blockbusters like Sunday Night Football and The Voice. At the same time, ABC's "hit" series like Dancing With the Stars and The Bachelor have been progressively dropping, and their midseason replacement series have premiered to nones of people watching. I'd be more worried about the future of ABC, not NBC.

And this. I get the sense that Disney regrets buying ABC. While it has some major lucrative elements (ESPN), ABC feels like it's ailing. If I recall correctly they also have a high reverse compensation fee compared to other networks.

ABC or Disney better get rid of Paul Lee. He certainly isn't doing the network any favors in terms of finding shows that the viewers will find compelling, and will return to week in and week out. And ABC is my favorite of the big four. I hate to see it not doing well. I grew up with ABC.

ABC or Disney better get rid of Paul Lee. He certainly isn't doing the network any favors in terms of finding shows that the viewers will find compelling, and will return to week in and week out. And ABC is my favorite of the big four. I hate to see it not doing well. I grew up with ABC.

ABC shows used to have glamour and a larger than life quality to them. I'm talking shows like Dynasty, Greatest American Hero, Happy Days, etc. They were on a roll back in those days.

I'm still happy to see shows like Grey's Anatomy getting 3.0 in its 11th or so season? That being said the network seems to have NO plans beyond Modern Family and a few other hits. The network needs some new energy flowing.

I understand where people may get the idea that NBC is crap and will govaway. NBC seems to allow their own talent to make jabs and use self deprecating humor about the networks bottom line, reputation and past ratings woes. The most frequent offenders are the late night hosts and their shows: Jay Leno when he was on the Tonight Show did it for years (well before the Conan fiasco), Jimmy Fallon and Seth Meyers both do it, Saturday Night Live does it and when 30 Rock aired it was constantly making fun at the corporate culture of GE and later Kabletown.

Speaking of the corporate culture it's also allowed NBCUniversals cable channels. Kathy Griffin talks trash about Bravo where she makes fun of the SVP and current late night host Andy Cohen along with all the other programming on the network. On the E! network Chelsea Handler constantly talks about how stupid E! programming is and the Kardashians on her show. A second show on E! I think takes it a step further is The Soup which regularly plays clips from The Kardashians, E! News and The Today Show (mainly from the fourth hour). Like Chelsea, Joel McHale mocks the networks budget which is well deserved because his show is just filmed in front of a chroma key wall.

One of the most recent jokes and the best that I can remember was when Jimmy Fallon hosted Saturday Night Live this season. The sketch was Family Feud, led by Kenan Thompson doing his clueless Steve Harvey impression. It was Team NBC being led by Justin Timberlake, playing Jimmy Fallon, versus Team CBS, led by Jimmy Fallon playing Jim Parsons as Sheldon Cooper. The only jab that was made at NBC was when Steve mentioned what charity the teams would be playing for CBS for the Red Cross and NBC for the NBCUniversal company.

Despite NBCUniversal being so open and allowing of self deprecating humor it appears to me that this does not happen at all on the other networks like ABC and CBS. I will say though Fox does allow itself to be mocked through Family Guy in the occasional episode that I have seen.

Like many of you said before if any of the big four networks were to die I think it would be ABC. From the outside it appears to me that Disney does not take the ownership of the network seriously and doesn't realize that sometimes you would have to spend more to make a profit, much like what happened to NBC during the last years of GE ownership.

ABC has only hasGood Morning America and out of all of primetime the only hit is Scandal. They seem to be stubborn and think that filling up two nights of valuable real estate with season 18 Dancing With the Stars and 18 seasons of the Bachelor thinking they will once again be hits, news flash their viewers are dropping and the ones who still watch are the diehard fans (NBC will have a similar problem if they keep airing two seasons of The Voice a year.)

ABC has only hasGood Morning America and out of all of primetime the only hit is Scandal. They seem to be stubborn and think that filling up two nights of valuable real estate with season 18 Dancing With the Stars and 18 seasons of the Bachelor thinking they will once again be hits, news flash their viewers are dropping and the ones who still watch are the diehard fans (NBC will have a similar problem if they keep airing two seasons of The Voice a year.)

Actually, NBC has no qualms with The Voice airing twice a year, as far as I know. The show's ratings and the network's average has stayed really well since the show aired after Super Bowl XLVI. I don't think it'll go back to one a year for a while, unless everyone really gets tired of it.

Also, I don't NBC isn't in dire straits either. It's done well (better than ABC) for the past couple years (Only Thursday is the sore spot. ) and will probably either stay that way or be progressively better in the future. Also I love ABC too, in some places, but I'm set on the Peacock.

By the way, I think this is the wrong time to ask this question. No offense.

Actually, NBC has no qualms with The Voice airing twice a year, as far as I know. The show's ratings and the network's average has stayed really well since the show aired after Super Bowl XLVI. I don't think it'll go back to one a year for a while, unless everyone really gets tired of it.

All I meant was if a show like this airs to frequently people will loose interest, look at American Idol I believe at its prime it aired three nights a week and now I've read it's on the bubble.

Comcast invested A LOT of money for NBC Universal. They are not going to let it fail. Raymie pointed out CBS' woes in the 90s, at a time when NBC was on top. No reason to panic, although it will take a while to fix itself from the mess that Jeff Zucker put the network in.

All I meant was if a show like this airs to frequently people will loose interest, look at American Idol I believe at its prime it aired three nights a week and now I've read it's on the bubble.

I understand.

But the reason AI is on the bubble is its revolving door of judging panels for the past few years.

The reason The Voice has had high ratings is because it has a very likable judging panel that's stayed the same since season 1.

(Two judges are still there)

So relatively speaking, the show is about the judges (the contestants too, but does the audience watch for them all season?)

And this. I get the sense that Disney regrets buying ABC. While it has some major lucrative elements (ESPN), ABC feels like it's ailing. If I recall correctly they also have a high reverse compensation fee compared to other networks.

Don't forget that ABC brought Bob Iger into the fold. Iger is a MASSIVE improvement over Eisner.

As for ABC's woes, though, I get the impression that ABC is a fairly low priority for Disney, as it's not a strong brand like Disney, Pixar, or Marvel, or a cash cow like ESPN, and they're kind of stuck with it.

I think NBC is doing better than ABC while CBS is enjoying being at the top. Here I see it all come down. ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX are the big four networks owned by major corporations. Not only do the big four extend their portfolio offering, but they all have their hands in the cable outlets as well to continue to make $$$ or cross promote as well too.

Every Network goes through their cycle of a dry spell. CBS was on top in the 70s, but mid 70s ABC was on top and by the mid 80s NBC was on top and the cycle continue to change with the big 3. ABC has always been my favorite, but the last 8 years ABC shows are not the same ABC it was 20-30 years ago.

The one thing that peak Comcast interest to buy NBC was there cable division; and with television shows costing alot of $$$ to produce. For instance if USA (which does well with their original programming) make alot of $$$ and USA comes up with another drama that does well. All that $$$ USA is making for NBCUinversal /Comcast they could underwrite a show for NBC.

It goes back to 70s/80s where the daytime dramas made alot of $$$ for the networks that $$$ in daytime help underwrite many pilots and shows for primetime during that era. You have FCC license with broadcast stations, and plus these affiliate contracts. Then you have cable in play and the new media platform continues to change. There alot of $$$ at stake here so right now I still seeing these broadcast networks continuing...

NBC is resurgent this year.

Networks go through cycles of ups and downs. In the mid-90s it seemed like CBS would hit rock bottom. It wasn't five years until they returned to the top.

Oh yes, and there is no way a major network (save The CW, which I seriously think may break up in 2016 upon the end of the network's charter 10-year contracts) would end today. It's not just the network, it's the media empire.

CBS had it far worse in the 90s. They lost the NFC rights to Fox in 1993, then lost some of their key affiliates to Fox in the Fox/New World affiliation-pact-turned-buyout of 1994 (and in the case of Detroit, completely fell off the face of the earth) and failed miserably to attract younger viewers with "Central Park West" following the exile of older-skewing shows like "Murder, She Wrote."

CBS then had to be bought out by Westinghouse in what turned out to be a life preserver.

We know NBC is not doing well right now. Ratings are down. Many people have gloomy outlooks for the network's future. If it even has one to begin with. Heck, last year it was beat by Univision. NBC was once the symbol for excellence in broadcasting. The Peacock stood for something great. Now, it's nothing more than a joke. Could The National Broadcasting Company collapse and cease broadcasting altogether? Or can the network turn around it's bad luck, so that it can have a future? Will NBC go the way of the Dumont Network? Sure, the Voice might give NBC a lift, but it can't sustain the entire network.

I'll summarize all the responses...

NO.

ABC may have had a new hit last night. Resurrection premiered to a 3.6 ratings point in the demo, and 13 million viewers.

I haven't watched ABC in a long time.

Their news seems to be fluff-based sensationalist junk and the shows that are on there seem to be targeted toward females. Although to their credit, they do seem to be putting more shows on that are more gender neutral and male-based in their targeting.

Having KDNL as my affiliate probably doesn't help things but the only times I ever watch ABC anymore are when college football is on.

But I agree, with The Voice currently being NBC's saving grace, ABC might become the dog of the big 4 soon if it hasn't already.

I can't help but think that ABC and NBC have two different mentalities. NBC is in the dumper, but wants to be on top. ABC, on the other hand, is also deep in a pit of fire, but is somehow okay with it.

I could see ABC going to cable. ESPN has already absorbed their sports anyway.

People thought the same thing about NBC prior to Comcast tossing out Jeff Zucker and his ilk. The two issues would be unloading their O&Os (and if those stations were to suddenly become berefit of a network affiliation, Disney would not get any serious takers) and existing contracts among the affiliates, some of which (Allbritton and Scripps especially) are long-term.

A more likely scenario would be if Scripps or S!nclair were to buy all of ABC, and even then, I just cannot see that taking place under any circumstance.

I can't help but think that ABC and NBC have two different mentalities. NBC is in the dumper, but wants to be on top. ABC, on the other hand, is also deep in a pit of fire, but is somehow okay with it.

With ESPN, Pixar and Marvel being the drivers on the Disney train, ABC is pretty much an afterthought.

They're probably just content with themselves (ABC), whereas NBC still remembers its former glory days and is doing whatever they can to be somewhat successful again. They're trying (even if they make some stupid decisions) while ABC is just...well...doing ABC I guess.

Archived