USNewsie

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not surprised. After Anderson Cooper's show converted to live a few years ago and it failed, it was only a matter of time before the ax would drop on this show too. It was a good show though. Good luck to Meredith on future endeavors (probably still with NBC).

I'm surprised that KNTV isn't on that list.

Exactly, you would think for a big market too. KGO was the only station to dominate the 4pm slot and KTVU just jumped on the band wagon not too long ago.

I wonder what's going to happen to KNTV, as they were not mentioned in the article. Will they also get a 4pm?

I assume some of the others who currently have a 4pm (or 4:30pm) (WMAQ, WCAU, WRC, KNSD) will get Access Hollywood Live as a replacement for Meredith, as most of the stations without a 4pm currently carry that (WNBC, KNBC, KNTV, WTVJ, WVIT). KXAS is in a different position as they don't carry the half-hour Access Hollywood, KDFW does, but KDFW does not carry the hour-long Access Hollywood Live.

As far as anchors are concerned, I assume the current afternoon and evening teams will be used:

WNBC: Chuck Scarborough/Sibilia Vargas, David Ushery/Shiba Russell

KNBC: Chuck Henry/Colleen Williams, Michael Brownlee/Carolyn Johnson

WTVJ: Jawan Strader/Jackie Nespral, Adam Kuperstein/Trina Robinson

WVIT: Gerry Brooks/Keisha Grant, Brad Drazen/Kerri-Lee Mayland

and if KNTV follows suit: Raj Mathai/Jessica Aguirre, NEW/Jannelle Wang

Exactly, you would think for a big market too. KGO was the only station to dominate the 4pm slot and KTVU just jumped on the band wagon not too long ago.

Since it's the BA, expect KNTV to hold off until they are sure they are not going to "offend" anyone.

You think i'm joking? I wish I was.

I would first like to congratulate NBC, in part the o&o affiliates, for following my advice in what i just said days ago on what to do with their daytime. Found in the out and about thread was this now gem. "NBC Daytime should not try another talk show again. Nate Berkus, Jeff Probst, Meredith Vieira (much as i like her) should have sent them that message. Let the affiliates use the hour for news or local programming (eg. 4pm) or present something different to the affiliates (soap opera or an hour of games) that would be useful after Days of our lives."

http://forums.tvnewstalk.net/index.php?threads/out-and-about.11429/page-192#post-147925

Second, so much for a rumored (yet screamed 'cancelled' before it even went to pilot) panel show. Third, this may help 'Access Hollywood LIVE' out to clear on other NBC o&os that don't have AHL.

You can color me surprised that WMAQ's not in the mix for a 4pm newscast. While they'd be the third station to jump in at four with the impossible task of taking down 30-year incumbent WLS (NBC had a half hour at four in 2006 that bombed), they're a stronger operation now than they've been in 50 years, and an addition like this could put them over the top.

You can color me surprised that WMAQ's not in the mix for a 4pm newscast. While they'd be the third station to jump in at four with the impossible task of taking down 30-year incumbent WLS (NBC had a half hour at four in 2006 that bombed), they're a stronger operation now than they've been in 50 years, and an addition like this could put them over the top.

I think the issue there is they lose that extra hour of syndication as a result of being in the central time zone. If they pick up Access Hollywood Live, they've got no free time, unless they put Extra at 11:30am, and news at 4pm (essentially a time swap). On a related note, have they named a 4:30pm co-anchor yet?

WMAQ is probably the only exception to the 4:00pm new newscast expansion, since Extra is on at 4:00pm and Access Hollywood is on at 6:30pm.

If they could, they could move Steve Harvey to 1:00pm, Ellen to 2:00pm and the Extra/Access Hollywood hour at 3:00pm with time filled for a 4:00pm newscast and if they want, a 6:30pm newscast as well.

I think the issue there is they lose that extra hour of syndication as a result of being in the central time zone. If they pick up Access Hollywood Live, they've got no free time, unless they put Extra at 11:30am, and news at 4pm (essentially a time swap). On a related note, have they named a 4:30pm co-anchor yet?

I can't imagine that Extra is as good of a lead-in to the 4:30 than Ellen would be for a 4 o'clock show.

As for a co-anchor...nothing yet. That's also why I thought an expansion would come. Add 30 minutes and an anchor, kind of like how Rob Elgas moved to 4:30 around the same time the station revamped in 2012. When everything falls into place, I can't imagine that Stefan Holt isn't the front-runner, with newcomer Alex Maragos getting the morning shift.

I can't imagine that Extra is as good of a lead-in to the 4:30 than Ellen would be for a 4 o'clock show.

As for a co-anchor...nothing yet. That's also why I thought an expansion would come. Add 30 minutes and an anchor, kind of like how Rob Elgas moved to 4:30 around the same time the station revamped in 2012. When everything falls into place, I can't imagine that Stefan Holt isn't the front-runner, with newcomer Alex Maragos getting the morning shift.

Agree with everything you said. If they really want to keep Extra and add Access Hollywood Live, moving it to 11:30am (or 12:30 with news moving back to noon) would be best.

AFAIK, Ellen does really well in the 4:00pm timeslot against the KGO and KTVU shows, and leading into KNTV's 5:00pm newscast. Not surprised NBCUniversal is reluctant to mess with the afternoon numbers by pushing it back to 3:00.

With the latest announcement of Ch. 60 in Boston becoming the New NBC affiliate And O&O in 2017, I suppose this in turn would give Boston a possible Second choice for news at 4pm.

Third choice at 4:30pm with WCVB 5 launching a newscast in that timeslot (fourth if you count NECN since they are LIVE at 4:00pm)

• 2 months later...

Sorry to bump an old thread, but have any anchor pairings been announced for these 4pm newscasts (other than Stefan Holt on WNBC)? Also, any news on why KNTV was not included on the list? We are less than two months away to their debuts!

Sorry to bump an old thread, but have any anchor pairings been announced for these 4pm newscasts (other than Stefan Holt on WNBC)? Also, any news on why KNTV was not included on the list? We are less than two months away to their debuts!

Not that I've seen I'm surprised WNBC hasn't announced a co-anchor for Stefan unless of course they are staying in house for his co-anchor KNBC I could see the noon team adding 4 pm duties WTVJ could be Adam & Trina in addition to the 5:30pm show. WVIT I'm guessing the 6 pm team of course these are just guesses absolutely no clue of teams etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Called it. WMAQ's 30 minute expansion to 4pm is slated for August. No assignments announced, though it sounds like they might be hiring a male anchor from outside. Extra is expected to move to the 6 o'clock hour on WFLD.

http://www.robertfeder.com/2016/04/12/nbc-5-to-launch-4-p-m-newscast-this-summer/

Called it. WMAQ's 30 minute expansion to 4pm is slated for August. No assignments announced, though it sounds like they might be hiring a male anchor from outside. Extra is expected to move to the 6 o'clock hour on WFLD.

http://www.robertfeder.com/2016/04/12/nbc-5-to-launch-4-p-m-newscast-this-summer/

Yes, it seemed like a no brainer to expand to 4pm. I'm kind of surprised they didn't move Extra to 11:30am (and cut the midday news in half).

I also wonder if the other O&Os that already have a 4pm (as well as WMAQ) are getting AHLive as a replacement for Meredith.

With the WMAQ announcement coming later than most of the rest, I wonder if KNTV is next.

• 4 weeks later...
KNBCs 4 pm newscast launches May 30th and will be anchored by Michael Brownlee & Carolyn Johnson. Also the noon newscast moves back an hour to 11:00am.

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/contact-us/community/NBC4-Southern-California-Launches-New-4-PM-Newscast--378673621.html

Wonder if there will be any other anchor changes (specifically the morning team taking over the 11am or Michael joining Carolyn at 6pm) or if the other newscasts will remain status quo.

No word yet on 4pm anchors for WMAQ, WTVJ, or WVIT? Or what WCAU, KXAS, WRC, and KNSD will fill their additional hour with (Access Hollywood Live presumably)? Or what KNTV's plans are?

Wonder if there will be any other anchor changes (specifically the morning team taking over the 11am or Michael joining Carolyn at 6pm) or if the other newscasts will remain status quo.

No word yet on 4pm anchors for WMAQ, WTVJ, or WVIT? Or what WCAU, KXAS, WRC, and KNSD will fill their additional hour with (Access Hollywood Live presumably)? Or what KNTV's plans are?

Article didn't mention who would anchor the 11:00am newscast but most likely it will be Michael & Carolyn tho Whit & Daniella can easily anchor it as well.

Archived