San Diego CW affiliation moving from XETV to KFMB

AKA

Why hasn't KFMB aired a single spot on XETV announcing the switch?

KSWB sure the hell has.

Every other station has promos courting the CW6 refugees.

Amazing they let this happen.

Why would there be a contractual agreement NOT to run promos?

How does that benefit the network or the affiliate?

They probably turned them down. If you were in their position, would you try to help the same people that helped get you shut down? I wouldn't

And the blame is not all on KFMB, XETV and Televisa share the majority of the blame for the shutdown.

Did KUSI finally shell out money to advertise?

Pffft. They sent over some of those free Costco samples

Did you see Dunning declare that San Diego Living was a "Phenomenal Success" ? I lost it!

(funny stuff)

Got to hand it to them....they went down shilling till the bitter end....

I missed it. I did watch the last 10 minutes of the morning news, and 2-3 minutes of SDLiving.

Well, he's right. SDLiving was a phenomenal success for fooling people into thinking that it was a lifestyle show instead of one big advertisement.

• Replies 718
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Champagne on the final day? Guess you gotta drink those blues away...

[MEDIA=twitter]847882748891090944[/MEDIA]

Then again, as things end, you can see why...

[MEDIA=twitter]843957930256814080[/MEDIA]

There are some packages on YT now too:

There was a history package, as well:

Here's some history you won't see in English, and some that's behind a paywall:

In 1955, XETV crews handled the first live American TV show segment to originate in Mexico, for the February 6 edition of NBC's Comedy Hour, from the Tijuana Jai Alai Palace.

The 1964 concession, the oldest on file. The concession key, which indicates when the station would have been authorized, is dated May 20, 1950. This is actually two months before XHTV, the first television station in Mexico, signed on in Mexico City.

The ABC show Marcus Welby M.D. had one episode in one of its earlier seasons fail to be cleared by XETV because it depicted an abortion in a Mexico border town when the practice was still illegal in Mexico. It was the only time XETV self-censored to avoid drawing Mexican government ire. (I found this one in an article that also gave me info on HIS and HERS Radio, which I wrote about some time back.)

In 1978, XETV signed a contract to carry six matches of the San Diego Friars of World Team Tennis — in that franchise's final season.

XETV workers in Tijuana had their own union, the Sindicato de Trabajadores de "Radio Televisión, S. A." (now Radio Televisión, S.A. de C.V. and still the concessionaire — unique to XETV). As part of the revision of the contract-law that covers broadcasting industry workers in 1990, the leaders of this union wrote noting that living costs are high in Baja California.

In 1993, Manuel Villa, the head of RTC (the Radio, Television and Film Department, Mexico's broadcast content regulator) was apparently unhappy with programs on XETV and XEPRS. At the time, Baja California and Chihuahua, the states he focused on, were the only ones with opposition state governments. The article also mentions that on December 31, 1960, it received authorization to broadcast in English from SEGOB (the government agency to which RTC belongs; RTC was created in 1977).

That's a wrap.

EATNEWS XETV !!!

From the staff and management of KBEX-TV

[ATTACH=full]3794[/ATTACH]

Narrowing down the search for the real identity of EatNews. Now I know he has to have had worked at XETV...

Nice try RKO

I'm not going to make this easy for you.

Narrowing down the search for the real identity of EatNews. Now I know he has to have had worked at XETV...

Just when you thought it was safe to back into the water....

eatnewsuni.thumb.jpg.7bf8560422868545c1bde63e19d05e65.jpg

I am watching the final XETV newscast — and I don't often watch local newscasts from other markets.

I must say, the minimalist graphics are pretty good but would have been better if they were aligned to a grid.

Is any of the info in this article new?

Highlights:

-The CW 10pm newscast will be 30 minutes; there will also be a 30-minute show at 7pm

-CW/KFMB will get 6 on at least Cox and Spectrum, anticipating other providers will follow

-It seems to imply that CW will be cable-only with Gala TV (or whatever will be aired) taking up XETV itself beginning tomorrow. I'd like to point out no authorization has been issued by the IFT for the changes that XETV will likely seek, and that will be necessary

Is any of the info in this article new?

Highlights:

-The CW 10pm newscast will be 30 minutes; there will also be a 30-minute show at 7pm

-CW/KFMB will get 6 on at least Cox and Spectrum, anticipating other providers will follow

-It seems to imply that CW will be cable-only with Gala TV (or whatever will be aired) taking up XETV itself beginning tomorrow. I'd like to point out no authorization has been issued by the IFT for the changes that XETV will likely seek, and that will be necessary

KFMB has been mum on the cable stuff. I talked to them this afternoon and still no announcement to anyone. rthe staff sure as hell does not know.

How do you think the sales weasels at KFMB are reacting to the silence?

Top management is not saying shit yet.

So if there is some wierd contractual thing keeping KFMB quiet we would hope that embargo will be lifted on April 1st.

Could Telemundo be also bidding on cable 6 ?

KFMB has been mum on the cable stuff. I talked to them this afternoon and still no announcement to anyone. rthe staff sure as hell does not know.

How do you think the sales weasels at KFMB are reacting to the silence?

Top management is not saying shit yet.

So if there is some wierd contractual thing keeping KFMB quiet we would hope that embargo will be lifted on April 1st.

Could Telemundo be also bidding on cable 6 ?

Well, that seems like an official announcement on the cable stuff if you read it — for sure on Cox and Spectrum, trying to get the other providers on board.

Well, that seems like an official announcement on the cable stuff if you read it — for sure on Cox and Spectrum, trying to get the other providers on board.

Yeahhhhh....

EDIT:

I want to see a KFMB promo first....

Or something from COX, Spectrum or KFMB.

Then I will be happy to bend over and.........

(ouch)

I might have to concede soon...

I just read the article, and it said that The CW OTA will be on 8.2, after it previously said that it'll be on 8.3.

KFMB has alot of explaining to do. Hopefully they'll say something soon.

That's where it should have been in the first place.

Given the stuff that's been said seeming a little odd, I'd want to see what XETV OTA (not cable) looks like tomorrow...

They worked so hard in the 1990's trying to secure that FCC section 325 and 309 waivers for cross border live broadcasting.

Are those now easier to get?

Do you know if that waiver belongs to BCTV or Televisa?

Given the stuff that's been said seeming a little odd, I'd want to see what XETV OTA (not cable) looks like tomorrow...

I'm keeping an eye on 6.1 right now to see if anything happens at midnight - or in the next few minutes.

Aren't they obligated to keep CW programming on the air (OTA) through May 31st? They can't just program the cable channel only for CW and leave antenna households in the dark. If so it would seem fair for KFMB to take the affiliation to 8.2 right away.

They worked so hard in the 1990's trying to secure that FCC section 325 and 309 waivers for cross border live broadcasting.

Are those now easier to get?

Do you know if that waiver belongs to BCTV or Televisa?

Apparently it's the US producer that gets the 325 waiver — for instance, Fox initially had the waiver for the Televisa Fox stations (XETV, XHFTX and XHFOX — the permit was filed for while the callsigns of the latter two had not yet been changed from XHNUL and XHRTA). Bay City has the waiver, and I believe The CW may have its own for the network programming.

The corresponding Mexican authorization to broadcast programs in English does not expire until August.

Aren't they obligated to keep CW programming on the air (OTA) through May 31st? They can't just program the cable channel only for CW and leave antenna households in the dark. If so it would seem fair for KFMB to take the affiliation to 8.2 right away.

San Diego has long been a market with many cable viewers. It may not matter for the demos they seek, or for a two-month period of an outgoing affiliation. There will apparently be sales staff at Bay City through May 31.

I am guessing Bay City distributes a clean feed to cable and satellite providers that is not the OTA feed — probably the same satellite uplink used to feed the transmitter. At the transmitter, though, content is inserted into the XETV signal for Mexican compliance reasons (station IDs and RTC and INE PSAs). It also would then be multiplexed with Canal 5, received on-site.

Archived