Sinclair, Tribune Close to Merger Deal

MidwestTV

Or the "Sinclair Salute" created by the fun folks at KTLA...

[ATTACH=full]5547[/ATTACH]

How did they manage to get away with that on air? I guess cause Sinclair is full of puritanical christian mofos (and they're almost always conservative).

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Shhhhh! Don't give them any ideas.

I remember a few years back, News Blues joked about Sinclair getting a new logo...which happened to be the Sinclair Oil one.

The next day, they brought up the "Dinosaurs" sitcom from the 1990s...that had family patriarch Earl Sinclair.....and his domineering boss B.P. Richfield.

upload_2018-3-2_21-49-53.jpeg.f8989d1211ae10213fe50a20497254db.jpegdinosaurs34-6.jpg

I guess the upcoming WGN deal gives a whole new meaning to "sidecar"....

giphy.gif

Goodnight everyone!

I remember a few years back, News Blues joked about Sinclair getting a new logo...which happened to be the Sinclair Oil one.

The next day, they brought up the "Dinosaurs" sitcom from the 1990s...that had family patriarch Earl Sinclair.....and his domineering boss B.P. Richfield.

[ATTACH=full]5550[/ATTACH]dinosaurs34-6.jpg

That’s okay, I didn’t want to sleep tonight anyway.

Pretty much how Weigel runs most of their stations through individual LLCs outside of the JSA'ing (though most of the WMLW spectrum cash-in purchases are licensed under the "TV-49, LLC"). I'm surprised they didn't begin to pursue that earlier rather than top-loading Cunningham and Deerfield.

Still makes me wonder how WGN Radio will be run, through the TV LLC or still through SBG directly.

Most stations are operated through their own LLC... No matter what your station's copyright says ;).

WGN right now is legally "WGN Continental Broadcasting Company, LLC." which is the business name listed on things like their studio transmitter link. Some examples elsewhere in the market: WLS is "WLS Television, Inc" and WMAQ is "NBC Subsidiary (WMAQ-TV) LLC." Looking up that WMAQ one gave me this page that shows ALL of NBCUni's subsidiaries. The parent companies simply own all the stock or "manage" the subsidiary companies.

A sidecar is different because it's a standalone company not directly controlled by another company (as far as the law is concerned, at least.)

Most stations are operated through their own LLC... No matter what your station's copyright says ;).

WGN right now is legally "WGN Continental Broadcasting Company, LLC." which is the business name listed on things like their studio transmitter link. Some examples elsewhere in the market: WLS is "WLS Television, Inc" and WMAQ is "NBC Subsidiary (WMAQ-TV) LLC." Looking up that WMAQ one gave me this page that shows ALL of NBCUni's subsidiaries. The parent companies simply own all the stock or "manage" the subsidiary companies.

A sidecar is different because it's a standalone company not directly controlled by another company (as far as the law is concerned, at least.)

I bet if you asked the Comcast or NBCUniversal executives what NBC Palm Beach Investment I LLC, Ridgegarden Limited or NBC-VVTV Holding LLCs are for they wouldn’t have a clue. While others like Little Fockers LLC is a bit more evident.

One note: "WGN Continental Broadcasting" actually WAS the original name for Tribune Broadcasting. It makes sense to keep that name alive for legal purposes like TEGNA keeps "Pacific and Southern" and "Multimedia" alive as license holders (ditto with Fox and "New World Communications").

I was surprise that a car dealership will own WGN I thought it would have been Cunningham when Sinclair sidecar WGN & WPIX. I wonder when The FCC will put out the public to comment on the divesting stations which I know will not favor Sinclair with groups & their members sending comments not supporting Sinclair & Tribune merger.

I was surprise that a car dealership will own WGN I thought it would have been Cunningham when Sinclair sidecar WGN & WPIX. I wonder when The FCC will put out the public to comment on the divesting stations which I know will not favor Sinclair with groups & their members sending comments not supporting Sinclair & Tribune merger.
Cunningham would've been way too obvious.

Also, WSVN will still be the ratings juggernaut that it is today, even without Fox. And no, Sinclair owning a station in Miami would not be viable to beat even CBS 4 Miami. In fact, it would actually tank. That's why WSFL is being sold to Fox.

The Des Moines Register is reporting that Meredith is in play for some of the stations needing to be divested, including either of the Des Moines stations (WHO or KDSM), which would finally give Meredith a flagship station in its home market.

Also of note: the article says that they will bid on whichever station(s) they want as opposed to whichever station Sinclair wants to get rid of. I assume this would mean they'll bid on WHO but not on KDSM.

WHO's studio is also only two blocks away from Meredith HQ.

The Des Moines Register is reporting that Meredith is in play for some of the stations needing to be divested, including either of the Des Moines stations (WHO or KDSM), which would finally give Meredith a flagship station in its home market.

Also of note: the article says that they will bid on whichever station(s) they want as opposed to whichever station Sinclair wants to get rid of. I assume this would mean they'll bid on WHO but not on KDSM.

Interesting. I wonder, though, if Meredith will bid for KFOR/KAUT as well. KFOR and WHO have been together since the Palmers bought KFOR in 1990; WHO and KFOR were kept together when The New York Times Company bought both in '96, and then with the Local TV and Tribune purchases. It would bump Meredith's NBC affiliate total by much, WSMV is their only Peacock outlet, but acquiring both makes sense for multiple reasons. Acquiring any of the Sinclair-Tribune conflicts could also help fill in gaps in Meredith's footprint, particularly in the central U.S., since it doesn't have any stations between Phoenix and Kansas City.

So, basically, Sinclair could decide to keep WHO just to stick it to Meredith?

I always wonder why Meredith didn't own any stations in the Des Monies market, since it was right there. Sinclair would love to get their greedy hands on WHO. Here hoping that Meredith will have the gravitas of obtaining WHO.

Why didn't they own a station in the market? Maybe the price or terms were wrong (like WHO and WOI being sold in packages in 2013), or the owners wouldn't sell. It would be a massive pain to convince Hearst to cough up KCCI, for instance.

So, basically, Sinclair could decide to keep WHO just to stick it to Meredith?

There's really no "sticking it" to Meredith in this unless the company pulls a FOX-style hardball tactic, which they have no business doing because they have no leverage of being a national content provider aside from...what, magazines?

They COULD file an amicus brief as part of the ongoing lawsuits to stop the acquisition by some third parties, which TBH may be their best course of action--albeit with pretty foul ulterior motives if they're trying to stop a mega-merger so they can get theirs.

There are a lot of ways Sinclair can maneuver around any offloading they have to do, but I don't see many that involve selling WHO (or KFOR, for that matter.)

There's really no "sticking it" to Meredith in this unless the company pulls a FOX-style hardball tactic, which they have no business doing because they have no leverage of being a national content provider aside from...what, magazines?

They COULD file an amicus brief as part of the ongoing lawsuits to stop the acquisition by some third parties, which TBH may be their best course of action--albeit with pretty foul ulterior motives if they're trying to stop a mega-merger so they can get theirs.

There are a lot of ways Sinclair can maneuver around any offloading they have to do, but I don't see many that involve selling WHO (or KFOR, for that matter.)

I'll put it this way, if Sinclair pulls a WHTM on Meredith (what I mean by that I mean Sinclair giving Meredith KDSM and KOKH instead of WHO and KFOR) Meredith can and will prove Sinclair wrong by turning KDSM and KOKH from 4 to 2 while WHO and KFOR falls to 3 or 4.

Chris Ripley needs to be careful about which stations he chooses to sell off and if Meredith wants WHO-KFOR instead of KDSM-KOKH let them have it and if not, the same consequences that occured to WHP will occur to WHO and KFOR

How did they manage to get away with that on air? I guess cause Sinclair is full of puritanical christian mofos (and they're almost always conservative).

We know who's getting a pink slip at KTLA when Sinclair takes over.

[ATTACH=full]5550[/ATTACH]dinosaurs34-6.jpg

I guess the upcoming WGN deal gives a whole new meaning to "sidecar"....

giphy.gif

Goodnight everyone!

The main characters of the Dinosaurs TV series were named after oil companies:

The Sinclair Family

Ethyl Phillips - the live in grandmother

B.P. Richfield - Earl's boss

Roy Hess - Earl's BFF

If I remember, there were no characters named Shell, Exxon, or Mobil.

The main characters of the Dinosaurs TV series were named after oil companies:

The Sinclair Family

Ethyl Phillips - the live in grandmother

B.P. Richfield - Earl's boss

Roy Hess - Earl's BFF

If I remember, there were no characters named Shell, Exxon, or Mobil.

I kid you not...

WPMI was actually founded by a guy named Roy Hess.

It was later sold to Michigan Energy Resources...who had a vice president named Stephen Mumblow...

...who now owns the station's license under his shell company Deerfield Media!

http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/111758/station-trading-roundup-3-deals-873m

I can see why WPIX was dumped to a shell company.

It's a VHF which would have cost them dearly in cap space (6 percent)

WGN is only worth about 1 percent after their UHF discount...probably enough to put them over the scales post-merger.

I kid you not...

WPMI was actually founded by a guy named Roy Hess.

It was later sold to Michigan Energy Resources...who had a vice president named Stephen Mumblow...

...who now owns the station's license under his shell company Deerfield Media!

And let's not forget what the name Deerfield came from. That (and Manhan) are rivers that connect to the bigger Connecticut River. That's where he owned a Christmas Tree farm. Read that on a WSJ article a few years ago.

Sinclair is similarly intertwined with Manhan and Deerfield, owned by Mr. Mumblow. Mr. Mumbow says he named them after rivers near his Christmas-tree farm but declines to discuss their business relationships with Sinclair.

But I do have some small new info.

The comprehensive exhibit has been updated again. And it appears that they have withdrawn a request to allow a proposed top-4 duo in Harrisburg (WHP/WPMT). So should Sinclair keep WHP, WPMT will have a new owner.

The request for the top-4 duo in the Piedmont (WGHP/WXLV) & Indianapolis (WXIN/WTTV) is still on.

And let's not forget what the name Deerfield came from. That (and Manhan) are rivers that connect to the bigger Connecticut River. That's where he owned a Christmas Tree farm. Read that on a WSJ article a few years ago.

But I do have some small new info.

The comprehensive exhibit has been updated again. And it appears that they have withdrawn a request to allow a proposed top-4 duo in Harrisburg (WHP/WPMT). So should Sinclair keep WHP, WPMT will have a new owner.

The request for the top-4 duo in the Piedmont (WGHP/WXLV) & Indianapolis (WXIN/WTTV) is still on.

They probably got word that such would not pass the smell test, even if it makes Pai mad (he’s 1 vote out of 5).

Archived