WJZ Drops Eyewitness News, Slowly Rebrands, New Logo Roll Out and New Set

rkolsen

I am watching the 4pm news now I noticed it no longer says cbsbaltimore.com under the bug. And just heard Chorma Cues for this full screen graphic.[ATTACH]4718[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]4718[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]4719[/ATTACH]

It’s like KPIX all over again. It only (KPIX.com) lasted a few months and went back to CBSSF.com

However their social media handle is a mess.

Twitter still uses CBSSF

Instagram, Facebook and Snapchat is KPIXtv

Their Friday Noon Pet Segments sill refer their email as [email protected]

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It’s like KPIX all over again. It only (KPIX.com) lasted a few months and went back to CBSSF.com

Twitter still uses CBSSF

KDKA never did use cbspittsburgh.com tag at all on air has always been kdka.com

nothing is forever...

As long as Chroma Cues stays intact, I'm fine with this change. The stylized 13 must stay as well.

I think there are ways they could adapt the graphics package. Like for the open I could see them recoloring the “rings” and eye to match the logo color scheme. Have a few different city scape views.

I got a tweet back:

[MEDIA=twitter]921507635765153792[/MEDIA]

still do not understand the obsession with making graphics local that this site has.... if they adopt the o&o pkg there will almost certainly be a logo change as well... at least recoloring it to work with the o&o pkg (think KPIX logo)... doubtful that logo stays but there is NO WAY that color scheme sticks around...

nothing is forever...

still do not understand the obsession with making graphics local that this site has.... if they adopt the o&o pkg there will almost certainly be a logo change as well... at least recoloring it to work with the o&o pkg (think KPIX logo)... doubtful that logo stays but there is NO WAY that color scheme sticks around...

I brought up the logo because it’s a bit iconic around here. It’s what they’ve built an entire brand around. They actually have a lot of people signing up be in one of their cube promos. They have the big one that’s scene in their opens and medium and smaller ones. All of their current promos (except topical) feature it with either the talent or fans holding it and giving their location.

[ATTACH=full]4718[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]4719[/ATTACH]

That font is almost unreadable... stretched out way too much. They should at least change the font before they change anything else. It looks like a bad eye chart.

Twitter still uses CBSSF

No more "The Pix Page"...?

Here’s their package pre HD. This report just aired so a 4:3 image is stretched to 16:9.

551C6672-6CAC-4FE3-967A-B56FDD80BDA7.thumb.jpeg.10f5bf78cce3b99b21a75845bf9f083d.jpeg

And the NFL match up word art graphics:

165FB943-5ED8-4312-808A-AB3FC6591733.thumb.jpeg.79ca48b59c8b0dcb33ed40a431b20561.jpeg

I will say that WJZ’s creative department churns out new promos regularly. Seasonal spots are usually filmed in season. The footage is always current.

I brought up the logo because it’s a bit iconic around here. It’s what they’ve built an entire brand around.

I'm sure people said the same thing about WCBS' logo, but they built an entire new graphics package just for the occasion when they decided to make the "2" super generic for no real reason. :rolleyes:

The logo is the least of their worries. Those graphics needed to go 15 years ago, and that music should have gone at the same time.

Having an "iconic" logo/music/etc doesn't mean anything if it's only iconic amongst an aging group of people outside your demographics.

I wouldn't mind them keeping the '13' logo with the Westinghouse font... make it with the silver CBS eye and gold 13... But man these mid 90's Word graphics are an embarrassment for this market... it's sad when other tv stations 100+ markets below have better graphics than WJZ...

Woof. I hope you're never in a decision-making position at WPVI!

MCTYW has more than a decade on Chroma Cues, WPVI has evolved their look to keep up with the times, and they have not let go of their ratings dominance, unlike WJZ. No comparison.

That font is almost unreadable... stretched out way too much. They should at least change the font before they change anything else. It looks like a bad eye chart.

Obligatory:

20317110410_c4faab30fc_z.jpg

I wanted to see how much Helvetica can be stretched in Photoshop...

I'm gonna go against everyone else here and say... BURN IT DOWN.

Graphics, music, everything. The CBS O&O look, while not without its issues (pick an aspect ratio and stick with it, guys!), is actually quite nice. It wouldn't be a loss to just switch to that.

I'm gonna go against everyone else here and say... BURN IT DOWN.

Graphics, music, everything. The CBS O&O look, while not without its issues (pick an aspect ratio and stick with it, guys!), is actually quite nice. It wouldn't be a loss to just switch to that.

You’re right, everything needs to be changed even losing the Group W font... it’s 2017 for jeebus sake! Maybe the add the call letters underneath KOVRs O&O logo and call it done:

5D81D6DA-4554-419A-BD13-8ED400D2E514.thumb.jpeg.f5ccc2d2fc68e330cd1267177f69b2a2.jpeg

You’re right, everything needs to be changed even losing the Group W font... it’s 2017 for jeebus sake! Maybe the add the call letters underneath KOVRs O&O logo and call it done:

[ATTACH=full]4750[/ATTACH]

Or make the 13 logo like KOVR but gold like most CBS O&Os (for example WCBS).

another idea is Copy KYW or WFSB (not really an O&O) and have them use Chroma Cues as a sounder or Signature in the Current Enforcer Package.

It isn’t Word art. It is clearly Video Toaster graphics. I bet they have a warehouse full of old Amiga computers and Video Toaster cards so they can keep cranking them out.

The technology is modern, but KC Robertson and the WJZ CSD team have gone all out to replicate previous looks and preserve a motif that was dated in 1999.

At least with the 2004 package (based off of the 1998-2004 package) you could READ the L3s.

[ATTACH=full]4750[/ATTACH]

I disagree. KYW and KDKA could get away with dropping the "3" and "2" (their radio sisters kept the typeface) while WBZ-TV and radio elected to drop it a year after they switched to CBS.

The "13" in original form is salvageable. The current logo as a whole? Not at all. It looks ridiculously cartoonish, especially as the "13" is poorly traced over from the original font. The color scheme is not visually appealing (purple in a TV station logo???). But when you take too much of the look away... it risks becoming a bland McStation.

You can't tell me that implementing the current O&O graphics package, with a redo of the logo to that blue-and-white color scheme and the correct Westinghouse "13," wouldn't work.

Archived