Breaking: Cox/Fox swap stations, KTVU to become Fox O&O

caliwxdude

Why does everyone assume a new logo would use the (awful) "box" logo? If you haven't noticed, the current FOX O&O graphics package downplays that logo design. My guess is the only reason it wasn't phased out entirely is because it costs a lot of money to replace everything with an old logo on it, and seeing as everyone already did that once in the last decade, it couldn't be justified.

KTVU has a pretty solid creative services team and I doubt FOX is going to want to lose that. This could easily end up being a situation similar to when WCAU had a customized version of the Look F package, IF they adopt the current look at all.

• Replies 478
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Did you know 21st Century Fox owns all the MyFox domains regardless of owner? WBRC's domain is still owned by 21CF even though they're a Raycom station now. Likewise, KJTV, a station FOX probably has zero interest in whatsoever, has their two domains, fox34.com and myfoxlubbock.com held by 21CF as well. Found that a little interesting to say the least.

Does that extend to the MyFox 'minisites' located within WBRC's website? (Examples include - http://www.myfoxmarket.com/, http://www.myfoxtracker.com/, http://www.myfoxsideline.com/ and http://www.myfoxgameday.com/ ...)

Houston, Orlando, and Austin, aren't primary NFC markets

Houston is an AFC market.

However, the Cowboys dominate pro football everywhere else but Houston, so most/all of Texas outside here should be considered one big NFC market. The eyeballs & ad dollars are there every Sunday afternoon.

For FOX it makes sense to keep Austin, it's a secondary & guaranteed football revenue stream.

Not knowing the particulars of central Florida, is it the Buccs or the Jaguars with the bigger following in Orlando? If it's the Buccs, then for the same reason they want to hold onto WOFL.

If FOX is intent on getting Seattle, then I will be working for Tribune this time next year, if not sooner.

However, the Cowboys dominate pro football everywhere else but Houston, so most/all of Texas outside here should be considered one big NFC market. The eyeballs & ad dollars are there every Sunday afternoon.

For FOX it makes sense to keep Austin, it's a secondary & guaranteed football revenue stream.

Not knowing the particulars of central Florida, is it the Buccs or the Jaguars with the bigger following in Orlando? If it's the Buccs, then for the same reason they want to hold onto WOFL.

If FOX is intent on getting Seattle, then I will be working for Tribune this time next year, if not sooner.

Orlando is secondary Jaguars market, last season, the CBS affiliate there ran disclaimers apologizing for airing their games

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/15/jaguars-apology-orlando-tv-station_n_3932351.html

KEYE has chosen Titans over Texans for Vince Young, How often does KRIV air Cowboys? What if San Antonio gets a team?

Yep. If Cox said no, then Fox would have bought KRON and built it up as their own, making KTVU a marginally better KRON. This way, Cox now gets two stations that will always be competitive network affiliates. That wouldn't have been the case had they kept a Fox-less KTVU. As for branding, it's way too early to tell, and only the Fox people would know, even if they did know anything. If Fox were smart, they shouldn't tamper too much with the KTVU brand, but knowing how clumsy FTS is, my money's on everything being steamrollered with Fox everywhere within two years.

Oh, and don't be surprised to hear some movements in Seattle soon.

What everyone tends to forget? KOFY is owned by Granite, and was not included in the deal with Scripps or Quincy. With Granite selling, and Fox making their desire known they wanted an O&O in San Francisco, we could easily be talking about KOFY becoming the O&O Instead.

I agree with Seattle, but I think Tribune would want a straight purchase instead of a trade due to Cap issues.

Orlando is secondary Jaguars market, last season, the CBS affiliate there ran disclaimers apologizing for airing their games

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/15/jaguars-apology-orlando-tv-station_n_3932351.html

At least in 2010, Orlando was considered an Split Secondary market between the Jaguars and Buccanneers. The Secondary Buccanneers status is why Fox will not consider selling WOFL/WRBW.

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/football/bucs/want-to-see-the-blacked-out-tampa-bay-buccaneers-game-on-sunday-good-luck/1120606

Umm.. NBC did that with Westinghouse in the '60s, and it didn't go so well: they threatened to pull their affiliations with (the current) KYW-TV and WBZ-TV if they didn't trade KYW to them in exchange for (the current) WKYC. Group W obliged, but they complained to the FCC and the Department of Justice about it, and they eventually forced NBC to reverse the trade.

It was more than that. The DOJ ruled the 1956 trade as null and void because of NBC's extortion tactics towards Group W, stating that Group W was forcibly coerced into making the trade.

NBC had to forfeit any profits made from WRCV AM/TV over to Group W, and management (and a good amount of on-air staffers) from both stations crossed paths on the PA turnpike from one market to another.

Orlando likes the Miami Dolphins more, and then its the Bucs.

By the way, the image here shows WKMG's true disdain of the Jacksonville Jaguars shown during a game last NFL season. Game was Miami vs Indyjaguars-game-scroll.jpg

What everyone tends to forget? KOFY is owned by Granite, and was not included in the deal with Scripps or Quincy. With Granite selling, and Fox making their desire known they wanted an O&O in San Francisco, we could easily be talking about KOFY becoming the O&O Instead.

+1; I think this is exactly what would have happened if Cox Media Group said no to the deal with FTS. Whether or not Media General is ready to admit it, I have a distinct feeling KRON will be more than just roommates with KGO soon—Fox probably didn't want to get in the middle of that still-developing situation. It's a bummer that Fox forced CMG's hand like that, but it's business.

We'd be looking at another WJZY situation on our hands, only this time at KOFY.

Out of the spun off O&Os, WBRC has retained the MyFox brand for their website. Would make sense for that meaningless brand to be ditched from WFXT and WHBQ (as they are standalones with no MyTV duopoly partner).

I would find it funny if Cox ditches the O&O logos for derivatives of KTVU's soon to be former logo. A "25" adapted from the KTVU "2" would be fascinating...

The 2 logo isn't necessarily going away...

At least in 2010, Orlando was considered an Split Secondary market between the Jaguars and Buccanneers. The Secondary Buccanneers status is why Fox will not consider selling WOFL/WRBW.

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/football/bucs/want-to-see-the-blacked-out-tampa-bay-buccaneers-game-on-sunday-good-luck/1120606

What about WOGX? Yes, I know it's a semi-satellite of WOFL, but it doesn't have to stay that way.

KEYE has chosen Titans over Texans for Vince Young, How often does KRIV air Cowboys? What if San Antonio gets a team?

From my experience we're more likely to air a saints game over a cowboys game. Of course it all depends on what time the Texans are playing too. KRIV isn't allowed to air a game opposite a Texans game.

What if Fox went to Cox and said "give KTVU to us or we'll strip it of its Fox affiliation"?

Such an ultimatum would be the only reason Cox would give up one of the key stations in its group. Especially when you consider that Fox has offered to buy it dozens of times over the years and each time Cox insisted it wasn't for sale.

Such an ultimatum would be the only reason Cox would give up one of the key stations in its group. Especially when you consider that Fox has offered to buy it dozens of times over the years and each time Cox insisted it wasn't for sale.

I don't think it was an outright ultimatum as much as it was Fox actively and somewhat openly making overtures to KRON and/or KOFY for affiliation that caused Cox to blink.

EDIT: Oh yeah, no more Mornings on 2. I wouldn't be surprised if "Good Day Bay Area" arrives a few months after this sale.

When WJW was a Fox O&O, it used "Good Day Cleveland" from 2006 to 2007 but the name reverted to "Fox 8 Morning News" around the time Fox sold it to Local TV. If "Mornings on 2" seems to be very successful, I could see Jack Abernathy maybe compromising and rebranding it to "Mornings on Fox 2". It depends on how "Fox-ified" the new GM wants it to be.

When WJW was a Fox O&O, it used "Good Day Cleveland" from 2006 to 2007 but the name reverted to "Fox 8 Morning News" around the time Fox sold it to Local TV. If "Mornings on 2" seems to be very successful, I could see Jack Abernathy maybe compromising and rebranding it to "Mornings on Fox 2". It depends on how "Fox-ified" the new GM wants it to be.

Or perhaps just rename the 7-9am portion Good Day Bay Area and keep some form of the name in the earlier version.

Hi all. I was busy and had no internet access nor the time. Will reply the relevant posts.

I think your memory may be playing tricks on you. WBZ did not sweep their affiliation switch under the rug. In fact, they promoted it far more heavily than WHDH did.

Really, its not your memory playing tricks? Remember its about the reporting I was bringing up about. I remember seeing their report on YouTube and the management was kinda bluffing the whole fact of the changes.

Likewise, KCNC went out of their way to promote that they were being traded from NBC to CBS. So much so that they ran an hour-long prime-time special that addressed why the swap was taking place in remarkable honesty. (That may have also been why KCNC kept the WNBC-style "4" for close to a decade after the swap, and left the 1992-era "News 4 Colorado" logo intact until late 1997.)

WTVJ aired a special report following SNL that covered their license/transmitter swap with Miami's CBS O&O live. Miami's CBS O&O threw up a final WCIX test card, then following the STL swap, ran their first WFOR ID and a minute-long promo. But both stations promoted the switch rather heavily, and in that case, they needed to.

KCNC, the comments on that youtube video IIRC confirms the statement above. That was one of the best specials related to an affiliation change because they went to so far to educate the viewers what shows were going to be on those competing stations. I believe KUSA did the joint promo, but anyways.

The GMs trading places makes sense to me as they're both staying within their respective companies.

and this is where I am betting the formats will swap too.

Or ktvu.com becoming myfoxbayarea.com.

Meanwhile, myfoxboston.com could become fox25boston.com (or whatever the site was before the "myfox" branding) once again.

WFXT's was fox25.com. I use it to save my fingers time to avoid the MyFox mandate. Its kinda old since MySpace is passe and NewsCorp no longer owns them.

WFXT (along with the other O&O's) uses Sony ELC for automation control.

NFL draws BIG numbers. That brings in mega ad dollars. And, it allows them to use that as a foundation on which to build everything. In other words it becomes a promotional vehicle to used to draw viewers to all those other shows. I've brought up the formula Fox uses a few of times before.

That really disproves the rouge management theory. :p But, WRT WFXT not being "in line" with the other O&O's the only major thing was the set. And, I've always heard the reason WFXT didn't get the "set in a can" was that they didn't have space. Their studio/newsroom didn't allow for it. If WJZY was in the fold then they would have been in the same boat.

Not familiar with Sony's automated control. I don't think WFXT ever used Sony tape equipment ether. I think they went to DVCPRO (and other "open" ecosystems when the local news began.

I knew the trade had to do with the NFC, I didn't think FTS would have the fetish of buying up other NFC market stations. But I blame the NFL dictating the networks the cost for the coverage, especially when the networks themselves don't own the rights to the coverage anymore.

Actually the "rouge management theory" might actually help KTVU. Again I've said before WFXT tries to avoid using the O&O Package at any costs. In the past they used radio music, and any cut that's used, it's often the worst cuts of the package. The studio was built before the mandate (around 2002, went live in late 2003.) I like it, it makes WHDH's look like a Lego house, but in comparison WSVN's is smaller in a Duplo :p. I digress. I actually love the WFXT set, just I think a refresh circa in 2008 to get the anchor desk similar to WNYW, WTXF or KRIV, modify it to the ambiance of the newsroom would have been good. The current one just reminds the viewers of the 2003 era, and those laptops look wobbly, but I don't know for sure.

More on a KTVU format in NE as I continue to respond. Yes, that's what I am betting on too.

Out of the spun off O&Os, WBRC has retained the MyFox brand for their website. Would make sense for that meaningless brand to be ditched from WFXT and WHBQ (as they are standalones with no MyTV duopoly partner).

I would find it funny if Cox ditches the O&O logos for derivatives of KTVU's soon to be former logo. A "25" adapted from the KTVU "2" would be fascinating...

That would actually be bad. I think KTVU coming to New England would turn the loyal fans away. Even in 4th place, they got loyal viewers.

Did you know 21st Century Fox owns all the MyFox domains regardless of owner? WBRC's domain is still owned by 21CF even though they're a Raycom station now. Likewise, KJTV, a station FOX probably has zero interest in whatsoever, has their two domains, fox34.com and myfoxlubbock.com held by 21CF as well. Found that a little interesting to say the least.

I just don't know how the ultra-liberal mindset in the Bay Area would perceive a "Fox 2". Because I'm sorry and I'm not saying this is characteristic of all liberals, but some of them see "Fox" and automatically think "Fox News Channel" and associate that with the entirety of the company when KTVU's local news could very well continue to carry a liberal slant.

Look no further then this comment I read on a TV news site today and how wrong the author is:

Here, this guy is lumping in FNC's conservative slant with FTS. I also don't agree with any of his points about conservatives not caring about local news but if he honestly wants to believe that, more power to him.

FTS slants liberal, some to the right in some markets I take it.

KTVU is kinda liberal, at least to its demo and format.

If KTVU comes to WFXT, it would ailenate their loyal audience. No one sips wine and watches the news the way KTVU is set up. Most WFXT viewers do not pahk the kah in Havhad Yahd. Many live and hail from Fitchburg, Merrimac, Mass; Merrimack, NH; Manchester by the Sea; Nashua, Portsmouth, Worcester, Andover, Sandwich, Concord, NH, and Townsend. If you don't know your Central New England geography those are all towns that KTVU's management wouldn't cater and would only care about Wellsley, Concord, MA, Somerville, Hahvahd Square, Arlington and any town that is within the Mass 128 beltway (funny that is the real backdrop of the Fox 25 set.) Fox 25 reaches a talk radio type of viewer, a working class of people who have purple political views. Not to defend being "different", but in all seriousness Boston is a suburban market and not an urban market, or a marketable urban market. Locals don't give a shit about the "world class" status of Boston. Just sayin'. Yes, I find KTVU's format too liberal in style, and too cosmopolitan. The Greater Boston area of those towns plus the city is about a million (or under.) The rest of the DMA is about 3.5 or more million. (if my math is accurate) And WCVB does just fine being the local cosmopolitan area news station. Please KTVU, don't turn Fox 25 for a KTVU East!

Why does everyone assume a new logo would use the (awful) "box" logo? If you haven't noticed, the current FOX O&O graphics package downplays that logo design. My guess is the only reason it wasn't phased out entirely is because it costs a lot of money to replace everything with an old logo on it, and seeing as everyone already did that once in the last decade, it couldn't be justified.

KTVU has a pretty solid creative services team and I doubt FOX is going to want to lose that. This could easily end up being a situation similar to when WCAU had a customized version of the Look F package, IF they adopt the current look at all.

That would be cool. Thanks to WCAU for creating their Look F, makes the stock one look like crap, similar how KCNC made WNBC's News 4 mandate of the 90s look like 10 year olds designing the original graphics package. Having a mandate + local CS departments can give the checks and balances of standardization.

There are a few current Fox O&Os that don't use the Good Day name, too.

The ones that don't, don't have the format. Good Day is basically 5 live shots of area events that aren't news worthy. If a station in a market that doesn't have a lot going on for fun every day, they use the Morning News. It's not a name, I say its a format.

FTS? Liberal? Try saying that in Phoenix.

KSAZ has this regular one-minute segment with anchor Rick D'Amico called "Had Enough?" that airs during their weeknight 9pm news. The segment has a very clear conservative slant. D'Amico has also culled news stories from the Washington Free Beacon and from Alex Jones's InfoWars (!!). It's the closest thing to an editorial KSAZ has, and it's one of the several reasons I don't like KSAZ's newscast.

Speaking of which, their morning program is known as Arizona Morning. It's a name that was introduced in 1994, not sure if we're talking February or toward the fall. It's really a remnant of the "Spirit of Arizona" slogan and image that lasted just months in its original format and two to three years in total.

These sources were used in the last six Had Enough segments:

• Washington Times
  • CNN/ORC poll
  • MailOnline (the Daily Mail)
  • New York Times
  • Senate Republicans
  • Associated Press

Archived