Nexstar bids for Media General

TheRob

• Replies 560
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Media General's stations are about to feel the pain of Nexstar. Some have perpetually sucked and will fit right in with how Nexstar does things (WKRN, WSLS, WIAT). Some of them have already been gutted and never fully recovered under MG's watch (WCMH, WFLA). Some more took some blows but have somewhat recouped what they lost in recent years (WKRG, WSPA). Then there are the few and lucky ones that have owned their market and are given whatever they need to stay on top (WJBF, KELO). Nexstar is going to bleed these stations so that they are on the level of everyone else.

Bottom line, if they pay their employees well above the market rate and/or they've been around for very long time, that's about to go away real quick. And the stations will likely be poorer because of it. Lots of the dead wood was cut out over the years of Media General right-sizing itself, so anything further could make their properties suffer even more.

Then there are the few and lucky ones that have owned their market and are given whatever they need to stay on top (WJBF, KELO). Nexstar is going to bleed these stations so that they are on the level of everyone else.

See this is strange logic. If a station is the market leader, that means (usually) that it makes the most money in the market. Say what you will about Perry Sook/Nexstar, but they're not stupid. You're not going to ruin a good thing when you have it. Nexstar of the past would buy bottom-dweller stations and cut them down and make them at least profitable. They're now buying a bunch of stations that perform well in their market. But if you're already profitable, why would you bring down a station so that it makes less money? It just doesn't add-up.

They want cord cutting, that's why!!!

Ironically, part of that is the fault of the broadcasters (including Nexstar and Sinclair but especially networks like CBS, Fox, NBC, ABC, ESPN etc.). People are "cutting the cord" because the cost of cable keeps going up and part of the reason for that is that broadcasters keep asking for higher transmission fees from cable companies to carry their signal which ends up being added to the consumer's cable bill. It's gotten to the point that cable consumers are saying enough and resorting to options like Netflix and Hulu instead.

The fact that broadcaster's own greed and stupidity is slowly becoming their downfall just proves that broadcasting executives are just as shortsighted and clueless about the broadcasting industry as anyone on this forum (including myself).

Nexstar and Sinclair aren't the saviors of television. They are much like Cumulus and Clear Channel.

Smartest thing I've read on here and I couldn't agree with you more. They're both basically working on the same philosophy that Cumulus and Clear Channel are.

The Paperwork Is Up!!!

Here's the comprehensive exhibit & transaction document regarding the Nexstar/MG deal. The comp exhibit list the stations they have to spin off, asking for satellite waivers, etc.

And remember that possibility of spinning off two other stations (the Hampton Roads & New Mexico ones) during the MG/LIN deal, they might have to spin those stations off too in this deal.

It did not list that they had to spin-off that Natchez, MS station WNTZ, but it did state that it had to spin-off something to come into compliance with the ownership cap.

See this is strange logic. If a station is the market leader, that means (usually) that it makes the most money in the market. Say what you will about Perry Sook/Nexstar, but they're not stupid. You're not going to ruin a good thing when you have it. Nexstar of the past would buy bottom-dweller stations and cut them down and make them at least profitable. They're now buying a bunch of stations that perform well in their market. But if you're already profitable, why would you bring down a station so that it makes less money? It just doesn't add-up.

I think it has more to do with how Sinclair and Nexstar basically micromanage most if not all of their stations to the bare minimum in terms of talent, staff, and general operations all while trying to get positive returns on their investments at the same time (since both companies are publicly traded entities).

The Paperwork Is Up!!!

Here's the comprehensive exhibit & transaction document regarding the Nexstar/MG deal. The comp exhibit list the stations they have to spin off, asking for satellite waivers, etc.

And remember that possibility of spinning off two other stations (the Hampton Roads & New Mexico ones) during the MG/LIN deal, they might have to spin those stations off too in this deal.

It did not list that they had to spin-off that Natchez, MS station WNTZ, but it did state that it had to spin-off something to come into compliance with the ownership cap.

Something tells me that Media General made the divestments a condition of the sale. If Perry Sook had his way, he'd shell everything, FCC be darned. In at least a few markets I am sure they wouldn't get away with it - Terre Haute they would end up with a monopoly and Fort Wayne, Lafayette and the Quad Cities would only have one other commercial owner.

FTVlive is reporting that our worst fears of Nexstar taking over Media General could be realized by cutting and replacing managers and employees with cheaper ones....

http://www.ftvlive.com/todays-news/2016/2/9/media-general-managers-trying-to-get-out-now

And the rats are escaping the ship that is about to be sunk....

The rats are running out of ships.......

Cox, Hearst, Graham, ABC, NBC

Gray and Raycom are ok, but could invest more

Grade A -Best Overall Owners

Cox

Hearst

Graham (formerly known as Post-Newsweek Stations)

ABC O&O

NBC O&O

Best Family Owners

Dispatch Group /The Wolfe Family

Hubbard Broadcasting/The Hubbard Family

Capitol Broadcasting

Griffin Communications

Grade B or C Owners

Sunbeam Television

Meredith

FOX O&O

TEGNA (formerly known as Gannett)

Gray

Tribune

Mediocre Owners

Media General

Raycom

E.W. Scripps ( How the mighty has fallen)

CBS O&O

Sinclair

McKinnon Broadcasting

Bahakel Broadcasting

Cox

Hearst

ABC O&O

NBC O&O

Best Family Owners

Capitol Broadcasting

Griffin Communications

Grade B or C Owners

Sunbeam Television

Meredith

FOX O&O

Gray

Tribune

Mediocre Owners

Media General

Raycom

CBS O&O

Sinclair

McKinnon Broadcasting

Bahakel Broadcasting

The only change I'd make is to put Fox and CBS on the same level. They operate similarly, in my opinion, so I wouldn't put one over the other.

Cox

Hearst

ABC O&O

NBC O&O

Best Family Owners

Capitol Broadcasting

Griffin Communications

Grade B or C Owners

Sunbeam Television

Meredith

FOX O&O

Gray

Tribune

Mediocre Owners

Media General

Raycom

CBS O&O

Sinclair

McKinnon Broadcasting

Bahakel Broadcasting

Oh yeah toss Morris under mediocre. Those 2 M's sure go together.

Cox

Hearst

ABC O&O

NBC O&O

Best Family Owners

Capitol Broadcasting

Griffin Communications

Grade B or C Owners

Sunbeam Television

Meredith

FOX O&O

Gray

Tribune

Mediocre Owners

Media General

Raycom

CBS O&O

Sinclair

McKinnon Broadcasting

Bahakel Broadcasting

I disagree with your assessment of Raycom. In my opinion they are a C or B- owner. not great, but not terrible.

CBS is at least on par with the Fox O&Os. I also don't hold Hubbard in that high regard.

How in the world could you leave Nexstar off of your list of mediocre owners :p;)

How in the world could you leave Nexstar off of your list of mediocre owners :p;)

Better question: How can you have "mediocre" be the lowest tier? No need to be PC about it -- you can have a "terrible owners" tier. ;)

Better question: How can you have "mediocre" be the lowest tier? No need to be PC about it -- you can have a "terrible owners" tier. ;)

I was being PC, and hoping the conversation would continue and somebody else would chime in on the terrible owners list to keep it going.

Here's how I'd stack it...breaking up the top tier into three subcategories. Ranked on station investment...reputation as employer...etc.

Best:

Best Major Groups:

Hearst

Cox

Graham

ABC

NBC

Best Large Market "Small Groups" (present in <=5 markets):

Graham

Capitol

Griffin

Dispatch

Best Mid/Small-Market "Small Groups":

Cordillera

Heartland

NPG

Morgan Murphy

Above-Average:

CBS

Quincy

Meredith

Hubbard

Sunbeam

Average:

Scripps

Tegna

Tribune

Below Average:

Raycom

Gray

Weigel

Bottom of the Barrel:

Sinclair

Nexstar

Bahakel

Morris

SJL/Lilly

Citadel

McKinnon

So many of the companies between "Best" and "Bottom of the Barrel" depend on the station. I'm not sure where to rank ones like Bonten, Block or Lockwood. Schurz probably would have ranked high if it were still around.

Here's how I'd stack it...breaking up the top tier into three subcategories. Ranked on station investment...reputation as employer...etc.

Best:

Best Major Groups:

Hearst

Cox

Graham

ABC

NBC

Best Large Market "Small Groups" (present in <=5 markets):

Graham

Capitol

Griffin

Dispatch

Best Mid/Small-Market "Small Groups":

Cordillera

Heartland

NPG

Morgan Murphy

Above-Average:

CBS

Quincy

Meredith

Hubbard

Sunbeam

Average:

Scripps

Tegna

Tribune

Below Average:

Raycom

Gray

Weigel

Bottom of the Barrel:

Sinclair

Nexstar

Bahakel

Morris

SJL/Lilly

Citadel

McKinnon

So many of the companies between "Best" and "Bottom of the Barrel" depend on the station. I'm not sure where to rank ones like Bonten, Block or Lockwood. Schurz probably would have ranked high if it were still around.

Raycom and Gray can be moved to average, Scripps to below average. I agree with everything else

Ironically, part of that is the fault of the broadcasters (including Nexstar and Sinclair but especially networks like CBS, Fox, NBC, ABC, ESPN etc.). People are "cutting the cord" because the cost of cable keeps going up and part of the reason for that is that broadcasters keep asking for higher transmission fees from cable companies to carry their signal which ends up being added to the consumer's cable bill. It's gotten to the point that cable consumers are saying enough and resorting to options like Netflix and Hulu instead.

The fact that broadcaster's own greed and stupidity is slowly becoming their downfall just proves that broadcasting executives are just as shortsighted and clueless about the broadcasting industry as anyone on this forum (including myself).

Which is why Perry Sook denounced the fact that local tv (including his own company) failed to innovate to the level that the "disruptors" (like Roku, Apple TV, and the Amazon Fire TV) are.

Which is why Perry Sook denounced the fact that local tv (including his own company) failed to innovate to the level that the "disruptors" (like Roku, Apple TV, and the Amazon Fire TV) are.

They call those new wave food trucks disruptive in my neighborhood...but they are just bringing the cool new food closer to the patrons.

Pisses off the restaurants...but give the people what they want.

There is a giant difference,

The disrupters are entertainment programming competing with each other, and there is some real good stuff out there so they should be concerned.

What we DON'T see are TV news programmers bringing innovative products to the market...just stripped down bastardized and perverted versions of bargain basement crap they THINK we want.

Just because some idiot thinks "the Now" is the new hot item dose not mean we all have to accept it as fact.

Archived