New TEGNA graphics

MarkBRollins88_v2

3 hours ago, MichiganNewsGraphicsJunkie said:

I don't care for it.. KPNX is kind of a bad example.. They've been known to go "offroad" with the packages....

It seems like they are taking the path of WXIA, and doing they're own thing.

1 hour ago, newsman123 said:

I LOVE it. Love the music cut, the standups, much harder and “old school” than the weird Tegna elevator music. 

Agree, sure beats the "C Clarity" music that feels less newsy IMO. Bit surprised KPNX didn't use the updated NBC Peacock logo with the white removed considering being in the Phoenix area, seeing promos they air feature the new Peacock alongside the 12News logo.

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, MichiganNewsGraphicsJunkie said:

KPNX also changed their weather upper thirds and weather branding.  They are now 12 News Weather Impact -- kind of an odd branding... 

Screenshot 2024-06-24 140550.png

Screenshot 2024-06-24 140602.png

Screenshot 2024-06-24 140626.png

Odd? Yes. But I will give them credit for trying to be original in a world of First Alerts, Weather Authorities, etc.

3 hours ago, MichiganNewsGraphicsJunkie said:

KPNX also changed their weather upper thirds and weather branding.  They are now 12 News Weather Impact -- kind of an odd branding... 

KHOU updated weather graphics banners as well and are also going as Weather Impact. 

IMG_4497.png

IMG_4498.png

10 minutes ago, Georgie56 said:

Weather Impact is also in use at KHOU and WUSA. This is the new Tegna standardized weather brand and all stations will eventually get it.

When I saw “Weather Impact” on WUSA, I thought it was an original brand for them at first, but I saw it pop up on many other TEGNA stations. 

55 minutes ago, MeAndTheGraphics said:

When I saw “Weather Impact” on WUSA, I thought it was an original brand for them at first, but I saw it pop up on many other TEGNA stations. 

KARE has not made it the "weather brand" yet- just similarly-named "Weather Warn Days" which I assumed were counter to WCCO's "Next Weather Alert" and KSTP's "Forecast First Alert Days"

Edited by GodfreyGR

This is part of a larger corporate mandate by Tegna. All Tegna stations (with the exceptions of their largest markets or those they deem as having "legacy branding") are required to start this initiative by mid-July. No exceptions. All weather branding will be [station] Weather Impact. Yes, it's a direct copy of Hearst, Sinclair, Gray, Nexstar...with "alert day" branding for impactful weather events. Why they decided this needed to be done now and so many years after competing companies is bizarre to me, but what consultants say to do is what gets done.

That said, every station has their own say in what exactly constitutes a "weather impact alert day."

Edited by MidwestTV
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Georgie56 said:

Weather Impact is also in use at KHOU and WUSA. This is the new Tegna standardized weather brand and all stations will eventually get it.

Well, probably all except for your friends at WNEP. They’ll fight to stay as StormTracker 16 till they close the doors on Montage Mountain. You’ll have to pry it and “MCTYW-esque” from their cold dead hands. 

Edited by NEPANews

Glad to see this sort of...  I have always thought that KUSA/KTVD were kind of the odd ones out here in Denver as every other station has a name for there weather segment.   Maybe KUSA/KTVD won't use the composite radar image as much after this change, they to are the ones here who don't usually show a live sweep during severe weather events, just that composite image.

1 hour ago, DENDude said:

Glad to see this sort of...  I have always thought that KUSA/KTVD were kind of the odd ones out here in Denver as every other station has a name for there weather segment.   Maybe KUSA/KTVD won't use the composite radar image as much after this change, they to are the ones here who don't usually show a live sweep during severe weather events, just that composite image.

KMGH disfranchised from First Alert Weather a few years ago and now use "Denver7 Weather" and then KCNC switched to it, which is still something I hate. It's like calling everything Breaking News. Next Weather is great branding, imo.

Weather Impact sounds like consulting lingo. #ThisIsTEGNA.

17 hours ago, MichiganNewsGraphicsJunkie said:

With this, Phoenix is a full-on weather branding-happy market with KPHO (CBS)/KTVK 'First Alert Weather', KNXV (ABC) 'Desert Doppler', & KSAZ (FOX O&O) 'Weather Experts'. Feels a bit more boxey at the top than we're use to with TEGNA (although noticed watching 12News at 10 tonight, they did have the old, generic radar loop mini screen on the bottom right above the station/time/weather/temp bug as scattered monsoon storms were in the area) & kinda interesting seeing the logo used for 12 News, although understand the use of it for space & looks kinda cool with the AZ state logo & the placement of '12 News'. Also, looking at the 7-day & KPNX having Weather Impact Alert days (Quite frankly, any of those days could be one with the heat here), all the stations, except KSAZ, utilize some sort of weather alert day to emphasize bad or in this case very hot weather days ahead.