WCBS - CBS2 News

Smitha A

44 minutes ago, NYNewsCoverage said:

To my knowledge she has not been on air since then. I noticed on the website Dana Tyler's bio was scrapped, so it has undergone some updates. Notably, Elaine Quijano and Craig Allen are not listed on the website. 

Are they permanent employees of WCBS? 

• 3 weeks later...

Definitely seems part of their attempt to integrate the network talent to WCBS (and why Elaine Quijano is now on WCBS). Kristine and Vlad anchored both 5 and 11 (usually 11pm is almost always anchored solo when the other is off). Dick Brennan did the 8pm, so he was likely available...

• Thanks 1

On 5/19/2024 at 8:22 AM, Georgie56 said:

There’s a reason why this name exists, people. It’s not for cosmetic purposes.

IMG_1803.png

Yeah and that’s why so many network journalist are part timing with CBS you got Elaine Quijano on WCBS, Jaime Yuccas who’s on KCAL both journalist both part timing on network and local. I think we’ll see a lot more network journalist on the local stations since this unified brand means one unified group.

Yeah we are already starting to see hints of that already on the ABC network so it's only a matter of time before we start seeing this more and more in the future. 

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Vlad said:

Yeah we are already starting to see hints of that already on the ABC network so it's only a matter of time before we start seeing this more and more in the future. 

I haven’t seen it maybe NY or LA, but in all the other owned markets there no network talent filling in. Now Brittany  Bell who now with WABC and formerly of WTVD used to fill in on GMA and WNT a lot. Sydney Scofeld did a report for ABCNews live after those 4 cops were killed in the another NC city (outside of the Raleigh market) which I found surprising. But ABC and there owned stations are either 1 or 2 in the local ratings in their markets. I don’t think there in a position like CBS where local and National need to be under one unified brand.

Edited by GraphicsMan

Posted (edited)
On 5/24/2024 at 6:59 PM, GraphicsMan said:

I don’t think there in a position like CBS where local and National need to be under one unified brand.

IMO, CBS Local and National don't necessarily need to be under one brand.

I get why CBS is doing this because they need something to boost their station's performances. The brand unification would be better if national CBS's product (outside of 60 Mins/Sunday Morning) were stronger.

As I've said before, I think the national/local synergy is hurting CBS O&Os as it further rips them of local flavor. In contrast,  Fox O&Os are especially adept taking the adding local spice to the corperate station blueprint.

That being said I do love seeing the national talent anchoring the local newscasts.

Edited by MediaZone4K
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, MediaZone4K said:

That being said I do love seeing the national talent anchoring the local newscasts.

Do anchors like Kristine Johnson who anchoring this Saturday broadcast and Maurice Dubios do they get paid for filling-in or part timing. I know they can’t be doing that for free, spending time away from their family and traveling and making no dough.

14 hours ago, GraphicsMan said:

Do anchors like Kristine Johnson who anchoring this Saturday broadcast and Maurice Dubios do they get paid for filling-in or part timing. I know they can’t be doing that for free, spending time away from their family and traveling and making no dough.

Not sure. If they're salaried probably not.

There is no traveling involved as CBS 2 and CBS News are in the same building.

8 hours ago, MediaZone4K said:

Not sure. If they're salaried probably not.

There is no traveling involved as CBS 2 and CBS News are in the same building.

That just not fair, there getting national exposure to the point Maurice and Kristine are almost CBS News personalities. They should be paid, I know Maurice files for CBS Sunday Morning frequently he should be paid if this is a combination under this brand of local and National then it should be treated as such. Makes me wonder if the national talent such Elaine Quijano who doing WCBS weekend morning which feels like part time is getting paid herself. It feels like all the New York station who personalities fill in for the network talent on occasions get this exposure and yet they know it’s hard to get a national news job and there filling in for no pay seems unfair for me.

I don't think they're filling in for free.  Whether or not they're getting paid salary or not, I would assume they would get some kind of bonus for doing the extra work, besides getting the national exposure.

• Like 2

Unpaid work is illegal in this country. They have to be compensated in some way or another for working an extra day. I would guess that they're probably salaried workers and get a comp day to take off at another time. If they're paid hourly (which some on-air people are!), then they get paid overtime. They might also get paid a little extra for anchoring a national broadcast if it's written into their contract.

• Confused 1

Just tuned into the 5pm news and was surprised to see Cindy Hsu- she did the early morning in for Mary today in addition to her usual 9am. Long day for her; I know on rare occassions Mary Calvi will also fill in on the 5pm.

• Like 1
  • Thought-Provoking 1

Not sure if it’s been mentioned but Derrick Waller appeared as a reporter on the dayside last week. I’m not a regular WCBS viewer so unsure if this was freelance or if he’s fully joined WCBS.

Hoping for the latter as he’s a great reporter and it’s a shame WABC wasn’t able to accommodate his request to move off mornings. 

15 hours ago, DMA said:

Not sure if it’s been mentioned but Derrick Waller appeared as a reporter on the dayside last week. I’m not a regular WCBS viewer so unsure if this was freelance or if he’s fully joined WCBS.

Hoping for the latter as he’s a great reporter and it’s a shame WABC wasn’t able to accommodate his request to move off mornings. 

Yes he's there full time.

• Like 1

On 5/26/2024 at 6:09 PM, C Block said:

Unpaid work is illegal in this country. They have to be compensated in some way or another for working an extra day. I would guess that they're probably salaried workers and get a comp day to take off at another time. If they're paid hourly (which some on-air people are!), then they get paid overtime. They might also get paid a little extra for anchoring a national broadcast if it's written into their contract.

It is probably written into their contract. Since CBS News and WCBS occupy the same building, it's not that hard to make the connection happen. They are paid a salary which has certain stiuplations into the salary/contract. Any additional hours the WCBS crew is working at the network has been vetted by HR/legal and the talent's agent.

22 hours ago, FiveNews said:

It is probably written into their contract. Since CBS News and WCBS occupy the same building, it's not that hard to make the connection happen. They are paid a salary which has certain stiuplations into the salary/contract. Any additional hours the WCBS crew is working at the network has been vetted by HR/legal and the talent's agent.

NBC has done this for many years.  Al Roker, Chuck Scarborough, Jim Hartz, Janice Huff, Matt Lauer, and others have appeared on the network while also working at WNBC.  They all have contracts and I'm sure there are clauses that cover use by the network and any additional renumeration that is provided.  This isn't a new thing,  just CBS/CBS2 hasn't been as active with it.

1 hour ago, NowBergen said:

Al Roker

Except Al Roker decided in 2000, to switch over completely to network he had been doing 5 and 6 while Janice did 11pm so he could do the today show. But he stop doing WNBC in full on February 17, 2000.

6 minutes ago, GraphicsMan said:

Except Al Roker decided in 2000, to switch over completely to network he had been doing 5 and 6 while Janice did 11pm so he could do the today show. But he stop doing WNBC in full on February 17, 2000.

He was only doing the 5pm. Janice handled the 6 and 11.

Posted (edited)
On 5/29/2024 at 7:16 PM, FiveNews said:

I'm not sure if this has been brought up, but there was a time not that long ago that the network news divisions staffed the news departments of the TV and radio O&Os.

Example: When Chuck Scarborough joined WNBC-TV fifty years ago, he was an NBC News correspondent assigned to the local anchor desk in New York. The same for his predecessors in that role, Jim Hartz and Frank McGee, and others. And if you're old enough to remember, channel 4's newscasts ended with an NBC News production mention and disclaimer.

Over at ABC, Roger Grimbsy, Bill Beutel and Howard Cosell had network responsibilities aside from their WABC-TV duties in the earliest days of Eyewitness News. CBS may have done the same thing, but not to the same extent. We do know that it was CBS News that hired Jim Jensen to the WCBS-TV anchor desk in 1964-65 when the network reassigned Robert Trout to Europe.

Apparently, the O&O newsrooms became independent of the network by the late 1970s. So perhaps in a sense, CBS News and Stations is bringing this form of staffing synergy full-circle.

Edited by Big Rollo Smokes
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 5/26/2024 at 9:09 PM, C Block said:

That seems crazy to me. They're salaried employees. It's not like they're paid by the hour. Do you think they get compensatory time off when there's a major news event and they need to be on the air for extra hours or anchor on the weekend after a big event? Wouldn't only freelance reporters by paid hourly? Certainly not their main anchors.

I can't speak for Maurice and Christine, but I can tell you that reporters like Jenna DeAngelis and Lisa Rozner post on IG and always seem to be thrilled when they do the hourly CBS Newsbreak segments on the weekend. I doubt it's because they get a day off during the week for doing it (if they do at all) or get paid extra for working overtime. Seems like they like the exposure.

Edited by MisterBill
  • Like 1