Fox in talks to sell to Disney

The Frog

• Replies 552
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pretty interesting. Although, i'm inclined to believe that Comcast will shoot for the FSN's that are in the NBC O&O markets. If they're trying to create synergy between Telemundo O&O's/NBC O&O's, then why not add in NBC Sports Nets to the mix?

The whole CSN Houston fiasco might make them re-think about trying to acquire/start-up a stand-alone RSN.

From what I've heard and read, it sounds like this deal will take at least a year to complete. There shouldn't be any major changes until late 2018/early 2019 at the earliest.

With this, the RSNs and the local ESPN radio stations could team up and share resources/talents with each other. I don't know if there will be a notable difference, though - the local ESPN station here has done interviews with the play-by-play and analysts from the RSN. Maybe they show up more frequently for interviews? Maybe.

One of the on-field reporters on my local RSN hosts a radio show (with a couple of other hosts) on a non-ESPN station, and I believe it's one of the higher rated shows in the market. It'll be interesting to see if anything happens to that.

Pretty interesting. Although, i'm inclined to believe that Comcast will shoot for the FSN's that are in the NBC O&O markets. If they're trying to create synergy between Telemundo O&O's/NBC O&O's, then why not add in NBC Sports Nets to the mix?

The whole CSN Houston fiasco might make them re-think about trying to acquire/start-up a stand-alone RSN.

Hmm. This could get tricky for two FSN regionals in Florida. IMO i would see ESPN/ABC get FOX sports Florida whiles Sun sports becomes a regional NBC sports network.

ESPN Sports (City) might also work.

As for the Florida channels, FSN Florida should become ESPN South Florida or ESPN Miami, and FSN Sun should become ESPN Central Florida (covering Tampa Bay and Orlando area teams).

I agree with the first two..

But I disagree with the other one Because for one FSN sun also covers parts of the miami market and i think NBC would be a much better fit.

I agree with the first two..

But I disagree with the other one Because for one FSN sun also covers parts of the miami market and i think NBC would be a much better fit.

Not sure I follow what you agree/disagree with.

What I don’t understand is why are the channels currently mixed? One should focus on Miami area teams (Dolphins, Marlins, Panthers, Heat, future MLS team) and the other on Tampa/Orlando area teams (Buccaneers, Rays, Lightning, Magic, Orlando City SC Lions).

I picked Sun for the Tampa/Orlando teams because it is part of the Sun Coast of Florida.

Not sure I follow what you agree/disagree with.

What I don’t understand is why are the channels currently mixed? One should focus on Miami area teams (Dolphins, Marlins, Panthers, Heat, future MLS team) and the other on Tampa/Orlando area teams (Buccaneers, Rays, Lightning, Magic, Orlando City SC Lions).

I picked Sun for the Tampa/Orlando teams because it is part of the Sun Coast of Florida.

I agree that FSN Florida will go to ESPN. BUT SUN Sports has more of an NBC feel than ESPN that's what i disagree with.

Now will the shows produced by 21CF make a trip to Disney World? I’d love to see an episode of Homeland where Carrie tracks a terrorist through Epcot.

Ohhh...

So waste an entire show while she waits in line to get on the rides...

...and the terrorist gets to use that fast pass to cut into the lines.

Total Synergy!

Now will the shows produced by 21CF make a trip to Disney World? I’d love to see an episode of Homeland where Carrie tracks a terrorist through Epcot.

More likely an episode of Empire where Hakeem is rapping in front of the Cinderella Castle and Mickey and Minnie are background dancers.:p

More likely an episode of Empire where Hakeem is rapping in front of the Cinderella Castle and Mickey and Minnie are background dancers.:p

Even better, I wanna see an episode of The X Files where Scully and Mulder go to Disneyland and find more than human bones in the Pirates of the Caribbean ride

(a inbreeding rapist pirate cult!).

...then get their picture taken at the end of Splash Mountain.

Ohhh...

So waste an entire show while she waits in line to get on the rides...

...and the terrorist gets to use that fast pass to cut into the lines.

Total Synergy!

You could make it topical by making an episode where they are stuck on the It's a Small World Ride after it loses power.

As expected, the Fox network will shift towards "80%" sports and live programming in the New Fox era.

So does the Disney deal mean we’ll be seeing Fox hits like The Simpsons and Empire airing on the Disney-owned ABC? No, according to Walden: “There’s no plan to move Fox shows over to ABC,” she stated. Instead, Fox’s current shows are expected to continue to run on the network for the remainder of their runs.

Fox will also keep launching their own original content after the Disney deal is finalized: Even though “80 percent of the programming in all of New Fox will be live and sports,” Walden insisted that “the network will continue to do entertainment programming.” In fact, she sees New Fox’s lack of an in-house studio as “a great opportunity” for outside studios like Warner Bros. and Sony to get their shows on a broadcast network.

https://tvline.com/2018/01/04/fox-network-future-after-disney-buys-studio/

" In fact, she sees New Fox’s lack of an in-house studio as “a great opportunity” for outside studios like Warner Bros. and Sony to get their shows on a broadcast network. "

I'm sure Sony would love this news, as they're infamous for getting their shows to air and (especially) continue airing under near nonexistent licensing fees,

as Fox's own Til Death has proven.

This only works if they literally buy all of the NFL rights.

The report I saw was a firm denial that the Fox Network would be focused on live events only. I would think they would lose their status as a general entertainment network and piss off many non "New Fox" owned stations. They will go back to a previous (and still used) model where they will purchase shows from a range of studios including Disney, 21CF, Warner Bros, etc. Not all shows on Fox are from 21CF. There once was a time when the networks did not own any of their shows, they moved that way the last decade etc. to capture syndication fees, control costs, etc. ABC, NBC and CBS buy shows from other studios as well. A prime example is This is Us, which comes from 21CF but airs on NBC. It will take 12-18 mos to get this approved (if it even does). As the Fox executives stated, it is business as usual.

As expected, the Fox network will shift towards "80%" sports and live programming in the New Fox era.

https://tvline.com/2018/01/04/fox-network-future-after-disney-buys-studio/

That's not what the quote says. Eighty percent of The New FOX (which INCLUDES FS1/2, Fox News, Fox Business & the FOX network) would continue to be 80% sports and live programming. There was nothing that stated that the Fox network itself will shift towards more sports and live programming (or the "80%" number).

Archived