2024 NBA Media Deals

Georgie56

If TNT loses the NBA this is the biggest loss of the entire process Turner being with the NBA for 40 years  Inside the NBA ends it will be the biggest mistake in the history of the league

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FiveNews said:

Do it right, or don't do it at all.

They'll probably have to wrestle away the license from Fox but I'm sure that won't be a hindrance.

The current (or Current) RSN theme is a pretty good #2 option though.

Posted (edited)
On 4/26/2024 at 7:39 PM, nickp said:

If TNT loses the NBA this is the biggest loss of the entire process Turner being with the NBA for 40 years  Inside the NBA ends it will be the biggest mistake in the history of the league

The league won’t care about nostalgia, longevity and sentiment as long as the check clears from the highest bidder.

Edited by Georgie56
  • Like 1
  • Empathetic 1

On 4/26/2024 at 8:39 PM, nickp said:

Unfortunately, I think the rumors about NBC have something to them. David Zaslav, in a rather idiotic move IMO, went on record to say “We don’t need the NBA.” In other words, they need us more than we need them. Not only is that an extremely foolish and arrogant thing to say in public; it’s patently false. TNT’s entire sports division is built around the NBA; their plans to start a streaming service w/ Fox and ESPN revolve around having the NBA. It would be disastrous if they lose it.

Source: https://awfulannouncing.com/nba/david-zaslav-nba-rights-deal.html

If TNT doesn’t pick up a package of games, I just hope one of the other broadcasters picks up the Inside guys. It would be a shame to lose that show like this.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, nycnewsjunkie said:

If TNT doesn’t pick up a package of games, I just hope one of the other broadcasters picks up the Inside guys. It would be a shame to lose that show like this.

NBC usually does a great job with transitions (outside Al Michaels, but that's more him than him), and like NBC basically grabbing the entire ABC MNF crew when they got the Sunday night package, I would expect them to just grab most of the Turner personnel and mix with their own. And though I love Mike Breen (and it depends if they switch it to a Super Bowl-like rotation), to finally give Kevin Harlan a Finals call would be amazing alone.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, ekt8750 said:

They'll probably have to wrestle away the license from Fox but I'm sure that won't be a hindrance.

The current (or Current) RSN theme is a pretty good #2 option though.

Little update on this; John Tesh says all they have to do is give him a call if they win the package. The Fox license isn't exclusive:

http://amp.awfulannouncing.com/nbc/john-tesh-roundball-rock-nba-media-rights.html

• Like 1

It will be interesting to see how fast traditional TV declines now that so much of the sports coverage has gone streaming.    I'm sure most of the MLB & NFL games will be exclusively streaming in the coming years as the contracts come up.

• Like 1
  • Empathetic 2

• Georgie56 changed the title to 2024 NBA Media Deals
2 hours ago, JTT said:

There's an article that says NBC would air 2 primetime games a week during the season.  Would that mean a Sunday Night double header or 2 games spread out during the week on NBC?

What I’ve seen speculated are games on Saturday and Sunday nights 

If ABC keeps their part of the deal, they've been showing saturdays night games.  So, if NBC gets part of the NBA deal, their prime time would be Sunday nights only or another night as well?  I think NBC will probably have a double header Sunday nights.  Otherwise, the only other night that might make sense would be Friday night games in my opinion,  since NBC only has dateline on Friday nights with reruns at 8pm.

Edited by JTT

On 5/1/2024 at 5:12 PM, JTT said:

There's an article that says NBC would air 2 primetime games a week during the season.  Would that mean a Sunday Night double header or 2 games spread out during the week on NBC?

The primetime games would have to air during the week given NBC has college football on Saturday nights (Big 10 Saturday Night) and of course... SNF on Sunday during the Fall. Once football is over, they could then mix things up. The prospect of NBC airing sports 3 (or 4) nights a week would be interesting to say the least...

It will truly suck for TNT to lose the NBA. It would be worst than NBC losing it back in 2002 because at that time NBC outside of the Olympics and Golf were to me feeling like the sports department was “mailing it in”. They had Arena Football as football filler for losing the NFL in 1998 and they had NASCAR to fill the void of no NFL but IMO Dale Earnhardt getting killed in 2001 started a slow death (no pun intended) for NASCAR ratings wise.

TNT (Turner as a whole company really.) is still going strong with all of the high profile sports and events they have outside of not having the NFL. And they have the hottest studio show in North American Sports TV with Inside the NBA. TNT losing the NBA would be up there probably 3rd with NBC losing baseball in 1989 and behind CBS and NBC losing the NFL in 1994 and 1998 respectively. 

ESPN has their priorities. Have blank check in hand for the following sports

1. Monday Night Football 

2. College Football (sans Big Ten) and the CFP

3. The NBA and the Finals

4. NCAA Women’s Tournament and Final Four

As much as I and many others hate ESPNs coverage of the NBA, they do whatever it takes to keep it unfortunately and their daytime shows are heavily influenced by it when it’s not football season. 

Edited by jerseyfla
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, MorningNews said:

Was just thinking about what becomes of “Inside the NBA” if Turner loses rights. I don’t see it being the same great show it is on NBC or ESPN (where they’d easily work them to death as Chuck has joked). 

If Amazon grabs a part of the rights, I could see them just absorbing Inside. They're the only ones that, I think, would give them the time and space to really do what they do. NBC would have time constraints with the news and such.

If NBC is going to keep Inside the NBA, they're probably going to put the program on CNBC.  Back when NBC had the NBA in the 90s, CNBC was used for pre and post game coverage.  It might be easier for NBC to use CNBC for this than USA Network.  It would not interrupt schedule programming already on USA network.   CNBC doesn't have programming that gets more audience than USA with reruns of law and order svu, ncsi, , chicago fire, & etc.

• Like 1

But since the death of NBCSN, USA has become NBC Sports' secondary network, with CNBC becoming overflow when the latter already has sports programming going on. If they want to keep promoting other sports like Premier League and Track and Field than it would be wise to put it on USA. However, it would probably end up on Peacock since that's where they have their SNF post show right now. 

It would be nice if USA had more sports programming,  but I don't think NBC will put nba games or Inside the NBA on USA.  If they wanted more sports programming on USA,  they would have put big 10 football and basketball on USA, as well as on NBC and peacock.