ABC changing their logo; New graphics coming for ABC owned stations

Briella

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, MediaZone4K said:

I agree. This package was an upgrade for the visually stunted WABC but a downgrade for KABC & KGO that already had solid appearences.

I did like that the ABC O&Os despite duplicating ABC 7 Eyewitness News' in multiple cities, let each station still maintain some uniqueness. 

As someone said, the average viewer doesn't care... but us niche crowd comes here to harpe about these things lol. 

Indeed, the average viewer probably wont even notice the let alone care about the theme music lol. We are the small niche crowd that cares and come to this very forum to critique and "bemoan" (I like this word now 😆). Honestly, im still shocked and kind grieving the loss of the KABC theme, loved that package so much, but it's a personal problem that i'll have to get over haha. 😂 

But I agree wholeheartedly with Matt and MediaZone4K. 

Best implementation WPVI with them retaining their theme and keeping the montage open kudos to theme, their viewers actually care about the theme, WABC which has always been visually impaired with their appearance finally looking top notch and arguably the leader with the upgraded look. 

Now the next order of business. How will the new sets and studios complement the new look. The sets for all the O&Os are now out of date. 🙃

Edited by Vlad
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Vlad said:

How will the new sets and studios complement the new look. The sets for all the O&Os are now out of date. 🙃

ABC O&O WTVD got their new set in 2018, for their downtown studio, in fact it's so small they still do sports from Durham still. WABC is moving to a new building so wait that, KABC set is still fresh after almost a decade, WPVI is ight. KFSN just got a new set last year. KTRK ill admit they need an upgrade, KGO set is still pretty nice, WLS set (built in 2016) is still pretty nice, WLS is in WTVD's situation a small street level studio which makes it hard for them to build a new set. 

• Confused 1

Funny to see that everyone on here almost universally pans KABC's switch to WABC music. I agree, but I can't help but wonder whether we might all have thought differently had they made these changes 10-15 years ago when CBS was similarly standardizing around the WCBS look. 

The WABC cut of Eyewitness News has become so recognizable with WABC for us that it feels wrong to hear it in Southern California. But, it's probably one of those things that doesn't matter a whole lot at this point. Most viewers are only watching for 5-10 minutes at a time at most, so who cares what the open music sounds like these days.

• Like 4

On 5/23/2024 at 2:14 PM, Vlad said:

In a way it goes back to the old days when all of the ABC O&O stations were using the Cool Hand Luke and News Series 2000+ theme, in retrospect that is what it is now low-key reminiscent of with KABC/WABC now on the same theme. The two stations in a way are now united and their tenacious spirit can now be felt coast to coast. :)  I've even seen WABC use the "Eyewitness News" titular wordmark that KABC/WLS uses in some of their promos so it is all a shared resource and the days of being unique and individual are behind, as the world becomes more and more connected. Bravo to all the O&Os, overall I think out of all of them, the ABC look is the best!

Funny enough KABC was really late to the NS2000+ scene...didn't pick it up until around 1990, so only had it about 4 years. 

Before that it was Cool Hand Luke opens plus their own synth version of Cool Hand Luke for the bumpers and close dating back to the mid 80s. 

For this month's update maybe there was some research or thought that the teletype sound has some brand equity among Angelinos or nostalgia among the staff. 

At least when they ran their anniversary clips I remember something about the Cool Hand Luke music being in there more than I thought it would. 

Going back to 99 when WABC picked up v2 of the EWN package they really amped up the teletype sound that got diminished when they moved from the CHL based package in 94. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/12/2024 at 4:48 PM, rear_flank said:

WPVI is still using their old scroll ticker at the bottom. It does not lineup with the time and temp bug.

C40C9F15-EB41-4FB6-846E-CA68AB7EBCC8.jpeg

6ABC has updated the ticker. It operates like ESPN & CBS's. It's a scroll down, until the information is longer than the ticker box, where it crawls at that point.

Screenshot_20240603_162712_6abc.jpg

Screenshot_20240603_162725_6abc.jpg

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

One year & a day after WLS first rolled out the full graphics package, we have a theme update at WTVD. It's Eyewitness News, but it's nothing we're familiar with.

Edited by 24994J

On 5/25/2024 at 12:35 PM, Vlad said:

Now the next order of business. How will the new sets and studios complement the new look. The sets for all the O&Os are now out of date. 🙃

Yup. Right now the NBCs have the best sets of the O&Os

I'd argue Hearst and Graham stations have the best sets of the affiliate groups. 

What ABC O&O would you all say has the best set? KGO? KABC? 

Edited by MediaZone4K
  • Like 4

Sets don't need to match graphics. Some of the stations could use a coat of paint, but matching the sets to something that will likely change and be long gone before the space reaches the end of its useful life feels unwise. The on-set screen logos and graphics were changed accordingly, and that's all you really need, at this point.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Yes, sets don't need to match graphics. Sometimes a graphics package looks old but a set looks fine (ex Today updating their graphics but keeping their set in 2009). 

But, on many of the abc o&o stations, both graphics and set happened to reach its outdated point simultaneously. In that case, they might as well update both to improve the overall aesthetic.

The only station that a studio update wouldn't make sense for is WABC since they are moving facilities.

Edited by MediaZone4K
  • Like 1

On 6/14/2024 at 4:39 PM, 24994J said:

One year & a day after WLS first rolled out the full graphics package, we have a theme update at WTVD. It's Eyewitness News, but it's nothing we're familiar with.

I don't know if it's the Eyewitness News package or Warner Chapell have you confirmed that?

On 6/14/2024 at 4:55 PM, MediaZone4K said:

I'd argue Hearst and Graham stations have the best sets of the affiliate groups. 

WTVD is nice, that update putting that seamless monitor wall in 2023 make it look well. They are in WLS situation street level studio small space thry can't do everything and tight camera shots.

On 6/14/2024 at 1:55 PM, MediaZone4K said:

I think KGO's set is really underrated. It has almost everything you'd ever need in a set: a nice home base, a distinct weather area, a unique interview/demo area, and a few different reporter standup positions. The topical graphics that they put in the monitors also always look really sharp. Even though it's pushing eight years old, it has held up very well. If that set debuted today, I think we'd all compliment it. The only thing that's a shame is that they didn't install a larger version of it in the studio that they gave away to KRON instead.

On 6/15/2024 at 3:59 PM, GraphicsMan said:

I don't know if it's the Eyewitness News package or Warner Chappell. have you confirmed that?

WTVD is nice, that update putting that seamless monitor wall in 2023 make it look well. They are in WLS situation street level studio small space thry can't do everything and tight camera shots.

Sounds like WCPM to me. I recognize their instrumentation and the overlay of the EWN sig is peak laziness indicating WCPM.

37 minutes ago, C Block said:

The only thing that's a shame is that they didn't install a larger version of it in the studio that they gave away to KRON instead.

I couldn’t agree more. KGO should’ve kept the larger studio and gave KRON the smaller studio. But they must’ve wanted to lease out the bigger studio to KRON to cash in the rent.

https://bowmanrodgersdesign.com/portfolio/kgo-tv-7-live/

so nice to see the old nostalgia of 7Live Studio before it was dismantled to make room for KRON.

1 hour ago, SFTV said:

I couldn’t agree more. KGO should’ve kept the larger studio and gave KRON the smaller studio. But they must’ve wanted to lease out the bigger studio to KRON to cash in the rent.

https://bowmanrodgersdesign.com/portfolio/kgo-tv-7-live/

so nice to see the old nostalgia of 7Live Studio before it was dismantled to make room for KRON.

Either that or they just figured that while they had their news set in the smaller studio, it wasn't worth it to try to move to the bigger one. Or, I don't know if KGO operated this way, but perhaps they rented out the larger studio to other outside productions. KTVU did that – KTVU rented out their much larger Studio A to other productions (including the filming of Mrs. Doubtfire) before they finally moved their main news set into there in 2012.